Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moon Phases

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning everyone , well so far this month as panned out to what i exepcted, , New moon on the 8th january} i expected a windy period , what happened, strong winds across much of the Uk, (8th new moon 15th first quarter] i expected it to be a cold period, whats happend so far, well cold for some but not all, Newcastle this morning currently -0.5c,, Next Moon Phase is the First quarter which will be on the 15th

nigel

Posted
Morning everyone , well so far this month as panned out to what i exepcted, , New moon on the 8th january} i expected a windy period , what happened, strong winds across much of the Uk, (8th new moon 15th first quarter] i expected it to be a cold period, whats happend so far, well cold for some but not all, Newcastle this morning currently -0.5c,, Next Moon Phase is the First quarter which will be on the 15th

nigel

You are correct in what you say, there is often weather changes around the full moon [cold to mild wet to dry].

Posted

Keith - you can't simply make statements like that without backing them up. As an astronomer for nearly 30 years, I really haven't ever noticed such a thing, so for you to say it does happen without any reasoning whatsoever is no use to anyone.

Changes from cold to wet and mild happen all the time.

Posted

Afternoon everyone

OON

i never replied to the last comment as i have just come back from shopping, However, as you are aware , at least i am trying all possibilities, Theorys, background data etc. I know i have a long way to go yet, but im going to keep going with this research for quite some time. . I know have only been doing this for a short period of time and i CANNOT at the moment give definate answers, Maybe in years to come , i may be able to forecast by using the moon phases,, But like yourself i have been into Astronomy for quite some time now, and i find it very interesting, Hence thats why im going to carry on with this, { if there are any objections] please say so

nigel

Posted

Evening everyone

Day 4 for the moon phase , current age of Moon 4 days 6 hours 15mins [19%}

Since the 8th of January when the Moon went into The new Moon phase the moon has got closer by {approx} 13606Km . Distance when the moon went into The new moon phase on the 8th was {approx} 393766KM now 4 days later the moon is currently 380160 {approx} , since yesterday the moon has moved by 2059Km {approx}, so far in 4 days the Moon has been getting closer by an average of around 2115Km a day{ approx}

Nigel

Watch around the 22nd of this month Moon will be a Full Moon at around 1335hrs, Now with data i have recieved and gathered this period could see some kind of precipitation {Possibly Snow} also this period could turn alot cooler than of late {For some} Possibility for mild and wet wether towards the end of this month and beginning of next month { Last quarter moon phase at the end of this month

Nigel

Posted
Afternoon everyone

OON

i never replied to the last comment as i have just come back from shopping, However, as you are aware , at least i am trying all possibilities, Theorys, background data etc. I know i have a long way to go yet, but im going to keep going with this research for quite some time. . I know have only been doing this for a short period of time and i CANNOT at the moment give definate answers, Maybe in years to come , i may be able to forecast by using the moon phases,, But like yourself i have been into Astronomy for quite some time now, and i find it very interesting, Hence thats why im going to carry on with this, { if there are any objections] please say so

nigel

No worries at all. It was aimed purely at Keith in an attempt to stop him posting stuff without bothering to back it up at all. Anyone can make sweeping statements.

Posted

Evening everyone

Well we are now into the First quarter Phase, {15th January] yesterday. and tonight we could see some frost in parts of the North East , temp is currently 0.9c with the dew currently on -0.2c

{cold again around the First quarter.

Data for the moon phase period between New moon and First quarter

New moon 8th jan

First quarter 15th Jan

Since the new moon on the 8th, the moon started at approx 393766km away on the 15th the day of the First quarter the Moon was Approx 373288km away , which means the moon has moved closer to the earth by Approx 20478km. Also in this period we received 11.9mm rain in the North East,, Also the average max temp was 7.9c and the average min temp was 2.65c. Also we havve seen just one Air Frost.

Now between Last quarter and New moon Last quarter being on the 31st we recevied around 33 mm rain ,

More too follow l;ater

Nigel

Posted

Evening WM

The moon will be In the Full Moon Stage on the 22nd January, around the 17th and 18th the Moon should be coming out of the Gibbous Crescent

Nigel

Posted

Wm

Also i forgot to mention that the moon will be in Perigee on the 19th January at approx 0840 {distance approx 366435km]

Nigel

Posted

Weathermaster, the Moon is moving towards a position known as "northern max" which it reaches late 19th and early 20th. This is where the Moon crosses the galactic equator or Milky Way and is further north of the celestial equator than at any other point in its orbit. This northern max position has been correlated with peaks in both temperature and storminess at various locations around the northern hemisphere.

The period between full moons is 29.53 days but the northern max comes every 27.32 days. Back on December 23-24, there was a combined full moon and northern max. That event produced some strong winds in Scotland but England was protected by the remnants of that long-lasting cold high as you may recall. This month there appears to be a somewhat similar set-up with a much milder high close enough to southern England that the winds from the northern max event will be felt mainly in the north and especially Scotland once again.

If you continue to follow this, the northern max in February will be almost a week before the full moon and in March, a week or eight days before, so at first quarter. Then each successive one moves closer to the new moon until by late June or early July as will be the case in 2008, the northern max will be at the new moon.

There is a similar event known as southern max at the opposite end of the Moon's up and down journey around the sky, and that one comes at the new moon in winter, full moon in summer.

Getting back to the here and now, I think the deep low expected Friday night across Scotland is the northern max event for this part of the world, and in the past some northern max events have been quite a bit stronger than the full moon event that would follow in 2-3 days at this time of year.

Just for general info, I have the impression that Piers Corbyn uses the dates of some of these events in his storm predictions, but the problem is that large-scale features in the atmosphere will determine where the storm track is going to run, so you have to be able to assess both the timing and the track -- if you expect every storm to track across the UK and Ireland, it will result in very hit and miss forecasting -- sometimes they will and sometimes they will be forced well to the north (in days gone by, also to the south, but that seems a rarity nowadays).

Wm

Also i forgot to mention that the moon will be in Perigee on the 19th January at approx 0840 {distance approx 366435km]

Nigel

Weathermaster, the Moon is moving towards a position known as "northern max" which it reaches late 19th and early 20th. This is where the Moon crosses the galactic equator or Milky Way and is further north of the celestial equator than at any other point in its orbit. This northern max position has been correlated with peaks in both temperature and storminess at various locations around the northern hemisphere.

The period between full moons is 29.53 days but the northern max comes every 27.32 days. Back on December 23-24, there was a combined full moon and northern max. That event produced some strong winds in Scotland but England was protected by the remnants of that long-lasting cold high as you may recall. This month there appears to be a somewhat similar set-up with a much milder high close enough to southern England that the winds from the northern max event will be felt mainly in the north and especially Scotland once again.

If you continue to follow this, the northern max in February will be almost a week before the full moon and in March, a week or eight days before, so at first quarter. Then each successive one moves closer to the new moon until by late June or early July as will be the case in 2008, the northern max will be at the new moon.

There is a similar event known as southern max at the opposite end of the Moon's up and down journey around the sky, and that one comes at the new moon in winter, full moon in summer.

Getting back to the here and now, I think the deep low expected Friday night across Scotland is the northern max event for this part of the world, and in the past some northern max events have been quite a bit stronger than the full moon event that would follow in 2-3 days at this time of year.

Just for general info, I have the impression that Piers Corbyn uses the dates of some of these events in his storm predictions, but the problem is that large-scale features in the atmosphere will determine where the storm track is going to run, so you have to be able to assess both the timing and the track -- if you expect every storm to track across the UK and Ireland, it will result in very hit and miss forecasting -- sometimes they will and sometimes they will be forced well to the north (in days gone by, also to the south, but that seems a rarity nowadays).

Thanks for the information

Posted

Evening everyone

As the moon is currently approaching [PERIGEE 0840 tomorrow morning 19th January} the wind increased this afternoon and is still increasing , currently gusting around 25MPH around the North East, around an hour ago we had a gust of 38MPh.

Since the New Moon on the 8th Janaury the Moon has approached by some 25498Km {will be a little further by tomorrow morning} The distance at New Moon was approx 393766, Today the 18th January ,m {the even before Perigee} the distance is currently 366634Km. In this period between the 8th and 18th ive noticed how the Moon accelerates just after the New moon and is gradually slowing down just before Perigee , ie on the 11th January the Moon had moved closer by 2644Km in a day ,however today the moon has moved just 492Km during the last 12 hours or so

I wonder if this slowing down period could trigger this windy period. which the North East is currently receiving? Not just the North East other parts of the Uk too .

Over the next couple of months im going to be looking at how far the moon is approaching the earth between New Moon and Perigee etc, and weather conditions {ie wind will be the main cause of cern}

I will keep updating what i find ,

Nigel

Posted

Morning Cookie

I updated the wind situation the other day , in a different thread, ive been pretty much busy over the last week or two, what with course work and work , {not enough hrs in the day]. Also im looking at the moon phases for next month, and will post anything i come up with.

\Nigel

Posted

The affect of the moon on weather is likely to be minimal and largely outweighed by other over-riding factors: -

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00209.htm

Apart from obvious solar output and variation of obliquety of the earth's tilt and occasional vulcanicity - main driving factors on weather are SST's, degrees in tropical convection and the ITCZ, oscillations in stratospheric temps, variability in natural greenhouse gases and moisture budgets. A very sensitive and largely closed-system with occasional external influences that affect the system. I do feel that the moon may affect the system and influence pressure patterns when for example; other forcings are not quite as dominant.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Morning Cookie

I updated the wind situation the other day , in a different thread, ive been pretty much busy over the last week or two, what with course work and work , {not enough hrs in the day]. Also im looking at the moon phases for next month, and will post anything i come up with.

\Nigel

yeah I know what you mean about thier not being enough hours in the day :wallbash::doh: will look forward to you're update.

Posted

Well February is fast approaching {where has January gone?}

Anyway at the moment im concentrating on dates between the 7th February and the 21st February , im going for a cold period , with some significant snowfall around these two dates, reason im suggesting this is because the moon is rising very early in the morning , which is {to me } suggesting this period to be a cold one, February 7th New Moon rising at 0345hrs

.............February 21st Full Moon rising at 0331hrs

after the 21st im going to stick my neck out and say it could be mild, but very wet with rainfall towards the end of the month, first week in february could be mild espeically with the last quarter being on the 2nd of February and rising at 0727hrs this could also be a stormy period

nigel

will go into detail a bit later ,

Posted

Morning everyone

I need a BIG BIG BIG favour from all members {and guests}on Netweather

This might seem a silly request to some but what i would like from all members {if possible} is a report on the MOONS Position and visibility Ie for example what i mean by position , what direction , can you see the moon from your Kitchen window or Bedroom window ie is it South/ West/ North/ East/, There is a reason why i am asking this {which i will explain at a later stage}

Another example , this morning at 0520 from my back door the moon was positioned SSE at 0515hrs and was visible

I look forward to hearing from you all

Nigel

sorry i forgot to mention , could you also state where your location is

Edited by stormchaser1