• Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Scientists invent new way to control and reduce hurricanes:

http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/3159/scie...duce-hurricanes

Welcome Jeffh83

Nature has beaten them to it....it's called La Nina

BFTP

• 1 month later...
Posted

surely if you steer a hurricane out to sea it will only gain power!? Hurricanes generally source their power from the sea so when you cause a hurricane to stay over the sea for longer it can take up more condensation thus getting bigger.

tho the soot is meant to drop the temp, to my mind all that would happen is the hurricane would get stronger then hit land somewhere else.

SHU

Edited by south_holland_uk

Posted

The only problem I see is how do you get the transport planes to 55,000 feet. Currently the only candidates for the job are as follows:

C-130 Hercules. Service ceiling 33,000 feet

C-5B Galaxy. Service ceiling 35,750 feet

C-141B Starlifter. Service ceiling 41,000 feet

I don't think that currently there are any other suitable aircraft and I wouldn't fancy flying over the top of a hurricane anyway!

Posted

I would have thought it logistically impossible to do something like this as well. To mess with these things in this way is akin to gambling really, if the calculations were got wrong, it could send the thing towards a major city which it wouldn't have gone to if left alone. Plus, exactly how much soot do they calculate would be needed? How many planes worth? At what cost? How far out to sea? We cannot predict with any high degree of accuracy where a hurricane will go at the moment thus how would we know if any effective changes were being obtained.

Nature on this scale is best left alone and left to take its course, man is naive to meddle in such things. Best protection is to build to withstand as much as possible hurricanes or, just don't build/get in their way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Totally agree SB. It's not a good idea, and as you say, money would be better spent on preparations on the ground rather than using a costly method which could end up making things worse. I think it was 1969 where Atlantic hurricane Debbie was seeded with silver iodide a total of 5 times (!) and only temporarily weakened before restregthenening again. And then it was later suggested that the weakening observed may well have been natural. There have been other experiments using silver iodide which have produced mixed results and I think it would be exactly the same using soot, it may work in some cases, others not. Here's an article about iodide seeding- I think it says it all really that there still is no certain and cost effective way of weakening or altering the course of hurricanes.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryfaqs/f/stormfury.htm

Posted

Good link there SS I think the it shows you how futile trying to interfer with mother nature is, In my opinion it is stupid to think man could manipulate mother nature and control or at least deflect storms it's a very dangoures game they play!! and have these boffins looked into what will happen to all this soot there planning to release into the atmosphere :)

Ian Cameron

Posted

In my opinion, Nature can't be stopped in this way, because it could be more dangerous.

where would the energy go?

we must respect the nature in all time, especially before the tragedy :(