Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

So, just why do you like it cold/hot/wet/dry/foggy?

Bottesford

Posted

I am like Eddie here - My favourite weather is strong winds with a bit of horizontal rain for good measure. On one hand you can go out and feel the effects of Mother Nature at her worst or alternativley, you can snuggle up to a blanket in front of the open fire....

Posted

Blizzards and drifting snow, snow just looks so beautiful and its a good excuse to take the day off work and go sledging with kids all day

Posted

Hi everyone :lol:

Well I have to say that I like more changeable and active weather such as a good Atlantic storm and obviously

lots of snow during the winter time of course. I'm not a great lover of long hot spells as I find them rather

tedious unless they help generate some lovely thunderstorms that is.

I find I can't cope with too much heat, and I hate not being ale to breathe in some nice fresh air when it is warm and muggy.

Above everything cold winter weather has got to be my favourite by a million miles. I can't think of anything nicer than

having a roaring log fire going when it is cold outside and the lovely crisp fresh air it brings too. There are just so many

things that I like about cold weather I could go on and on forever about it :lol:

Posted
I find I can't cope with too much heat, and I hate not being ale to breathe in some nice fresh air when it is warm and muggy.

Too right! In equatorial areas it's just ridiculous. Singapore seems a nice place, but how on earth do people live there?! "Like living in a microwave" was one, all too apt, description I once heard.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

It will come as no surprise to any one in here that my favourite type of winter weather is cold and the colder the better. i love cold frosty mornings, especially if accompanied with freezing fog which then lingers all day keeping the temperature well below freezing. Also love snow, but this has to be a major event for me, like a full blown blizzard, a howling easterly with temperatures around -3c to –8c and blowing dry snow, then i’m in my element, :lol: not keen at all on the wet stuff which settles in to slush and then melts.

Why do I like cold weather?, it’s strange really as I biked 5 miles every day to work for the best part of 40 years and some of those years were during the late 60’s and early 70’s, but it never put me off the cold in the winter.

I go out running several times a week, winter and summer, but must say I much prefer running in the winter, no matter how cold it is, it’s easy to warm up, but in the summer, even with temperature in the late teens, it can feel to hot.

For relaxing in the summer, i love clear blue skies, low humidity and a temperature between 16c and 21c.

I dislike very warm weather, especially if humid and above 21c, although can put up with damp, dull, drizzly weather.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Too right! In equatorial areas it's just ridiculous. Singapore seems a nice place, but how on earth do people live there?! "Like living in a microwave" was one, all too apt, description I once heard.

I dont think I could quite handle Singapore what 34C max, and 27C min with 90% humidity, but I would choose say 25C max 20C min with high humidity - aka the Azores.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Humidity in summer can be a problem if temps are 30+ for sure - not ideal in the office at all! But the main advantage of those conditions is the warm evenings. It's all well & good having it 22c and low humidity during the daytime but it then turns too chilly to sit out in the evenings which is a pain in the arse when you've sat inside at work all day looking at all the lovely weather outside.

I prefer temps of 22-24c and high humdity -or- 27c and low humidity then it works day & night much more easily. The best thing about summer are the warm evenings which I relish whenever they come - I feel quite starved of them this year!

Posted

At the moment my preferences are lead mainly by the desire to see Bluetongue stop spreading, ie - the colder the better and preferably two consecutive hard frosts.

My two favorites would be snow and thunderstorms, although I haven't seen the former for almost a decade. I'd love to see the excitement on here should a major, widespread snow event occur; the discussion beforehand and the reports when it happens. Being able to photograph snowy landscapes at day and night would also be absolute heaven.

Thunderstorms, well, that doesn't really need explanation does it? :lol: Again it's partly reading other people's reports etc online, watching and waiting, and then going out with all my gear to photograph, video and sound record.

I don't like mild weather in winter, unless it's really windy. Going out in mild, windy weather is always something of a thrill, and I'd love to record the sounds of it with my new Zoom H4 and specially purchased deadcat. That seems a little unlikely the way things are going. Mild, humid weather is the absolute worst. It's comfortable and my animals really suffer in it.

Edited by Goatherd

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Spring:

Warm days with a gentle breeze and the odd April shower.

Summer:

Hot, hot, hot. Heatwaves and high pressure over us for the entire summer (water shortages? .... this IS only fantasy :lol:

Autumn:

Frosty mornings but crisp clear, sunny days with a hint of fog forming in the evenings.

Winter:

Dry, sunny days with crisp air and no sleet. Just clear skies and maybe the odd snow shower now and again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Spring:

Warm days with a gentle breeze and the odd April shower.

Summer:

Hot, hot, hot. Heatwaves and high pressure over us for the entire summer (water shortages? .... this IS only fantasy :lol:

Autumn:

Frosty mornings but crisp clear, sunny days with a hint of fog forming in the evenings.

Winter:

Dry, sunny days with crisp air and no sleet. Just clear skies and maybe the odd snow shower now and again.

Sounds nice but the desertification of the Britain would not be far away with that fantasy! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

I like most extremes of weather except really hot conditions. If it's more than about 22c in the summer and there's no breeze then I'll sit in the shade rather than the sun, but if it's -2c and cloudy in the winter I'll be outside in case I miss a single flake of snow! I like heavy convective showers like TWS, with some hail and thunder mixed in ,and when we had it really windy here last Feb/March (can't quite remember), I was down on the sea front taking pics. I think I'm a frustrated storm chaser. But my favourite weather of all is snow, hoping for it, waiting for it watching it and being in it. I know it has it's dangers but to me it's just magical. Because of its rarity on our shores, it feels like it's more valuable! Here's to some this winter.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
I love this time of year..wrapping up warm and taking the dog out, or sitting in watching the snow ( although we have yet to have a repeat of Jan 95!! :lol: )

No School/Work for a few days !!

Posted

Think you need to head a few hundred miles north Tamara!

Interesting how few of us like our prevailing weather - SWlys - for without them we would not be the green, lush island that we are!

Also, I see a fair few people liking 'roaring open fires' while its freezing out. Do many of you have open fires? I remember my grandma having one and yes it was nice on a cold day to be in front of it - pain in the arse to light though. Perhaps any majesty of colder weather is lost more on me as electric storage heaters are far less sexy than open fires - damn site less work though.

Don't like the heating on though as it drys the air out far too much leaving dry eyes/nose/throat especially when sleeping. Far better with the window open and a gentle breeze laden with the smell of flowers, etc. Certainly wake up feeling better that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I have no particular favorite type, my ideal weather is when there is something notable about it, for example you walk outside and you think to yourself, wow its cold, windy, hot, raining hard etc etc. The weather is most interesting to me when theres something to admire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Winter- Frequent cold spells with snow, interspersed with a few periods of wet and windy zonal weather.

Spring: mild, settled, dry- perfect for plant growth.

Summer: warm- but never hot- I hate anything over 25C. Thundery spells, at least 3 spectacular thunderstorms a year.

Autumn: wet and windy with gales, a few settled spells but nothing prolonged like this year, it's been far too boring.

I don't ask for much do I? :lol: Overall, I like variety, I can't stand the same weather for any more than two weeks. And cloudy weather is just depressing. Which is why this Autumn has been so awful.

Posted

Yikes I'm I the only heat lover on the forum?! Suprises me as so many people I know in real life like hot weather...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Yikes I'm I the only heat lover on the forum?! Suprises me as so many people I know in real life like hot weather...

No Botty, you're not alone I love it too, the hotter the better so long as it is between June and September; for me one of the best parts of summer is waking early, half four- fiveish and sitting in the garden with a cuppa knowing it's going to be a scorcher, heaven.

All in all I like my seasons to be seasonal - old fashioned style. Ideally Christmas to be snowy, Jan & Feb brrrrrrr makingly cold, March less so leading into a gradual warm up in April (preferably with little wind which always seems to get the Dafs every year). May: the best month of all in my eyes (the colour of new leaf growth, such a vibrant green coupled with all that bottled up promise of the summer to come, contained in all those quickly growing plants) should be warm sometimes hottish. June: hot, still and dry please, that way the Roses don't turn into soggy, brown blobs atop the stems. July & August, hot, preferably with some torrential downpours and thunderstorms. September: hot leading to a gradual cool down taking us into a cooler October with increasing chance of frosty mornings. November: the worst month, I'd love it to be windy, torrential downpours with gales or dry, crisp and frosty, sadly it's usually grey, damp and humid, yuk!

Top of my list are thick Hoare frosts, snow so long as it's at least six inches deep and dry, not the more usual inch or so of rapidly disappearing slush. Scorching hot summer days, summer rain - one of the best smells in the world, heavy dew laden mornings, revealing a carpet of cobwebs on the lawn.

Bottom of the list: drizzle, the stuff which makes you soaking wet in half an hour, too hot to work in water-proofs, too wet to do without but not wet enough to call it a day or head into the greenhouse. Double yuk!!!

Tamara: if you ever get the chance, get an Aga, sod the expense (they do payment schemes too), I'd be lost without mine, can't recommend them enough.

Posted

Think I agree with everything in your year plan jethro! And yes, those warm summer mornings before a scorcher really are magical. I remember heading to work when it was 22c (at 8:30am) - splendid stuff!

Posted

I don't know about anybody else but I just like extremes because we live in such a temperate country.

I like heatwaves, drought, prolonged sunshine in the summer and bitter cold and snow in the winter(although bitter cold and snow seldom come together). We get little of either, which is probably why I like it when it comes along.

Gales are pointless, usually wet, damage stuff, and keep me awake at night.

Thunderstorms are dangerous.

Frost is crap, because you know its been cold enough.......but wheres the snow?

Long periods of rainy and showery weather serve no purpose other than to irritate me.

Here is how the weather should be....

Every day should be sunny from sunset to sunrise, with a shower at night when everybody is in bed.

Summer should be April to October and 25-30º every day.

Winter should be December to February, -5º and exceptionally snowy.

March and November, who cares about them anyway? But they should be the changeover months from deep freeze to scorching summer.

Perhaps if the weather was like that I may get bored of it and start looking for crap stuff on the charts like, deep depressions, gales etc.

Also, snow shouldn't be allowed to settle after February 14th, unless at least a foot deep.

Two inches of snow after mid February is pointless, the sun is too warm and its gone before you get a chance to build a snowman.

Posted
Sounds nice but the desertification of the Britain would not be far away with that fantasy! :)

LOL :)

Okay then, maybe just a little rain. Overnight of course :)

Posted

I'm a lover of most weather except extreme heat (I class this as anything above 30 degrees) and also muggy close conditions with still air and no rain.

I love the weather to have a seasonal flavour to it, i.e. what it should be for the time of year although it never seems to do what I think it should be doing according to the calandar.

My favourite weather is snow, I absolutely love it. I also like really heavy rain and the odd storm but not too much of it. I love high pressure in winter that delivers cold frosty icy weather.

My favourite airstream whatever time of year it is is polar maritime followed closely by arctic maritime. My least favourite by far is tropical maritime (what we have now please clear off...), which always seems to give to the saying but at least its mild, I absolutely hate that phrase!

I like fog but realise it is the most dangerous weather condition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Are you kidding, I love heat, I dont see heat as an instrinsic happiness, but more of a need, something that I find as a comfort zone. I can take 40C happily as long as its fairly dry air - anything higher than 30C in high humidity starts to become uncomfortable, and anything lower than 10C in high humidity becomes uncomfortable (if there is a breeze)

Anything lower than 5C is a no no, thats when I tend to stop being able to do things properly anything lower than 0-5C, and it has had an affect on my ability to think, I have found ( of course thats without suitable warm clothing).

Posted

You know, I'd like winter much more if it wasn't mostly spent having days of greyness and temps around 4-6c that we get so much of. I'd love a continental climate with buckets of heat during summer and plenty of snow in winter. Saying that, if you were to live with those conditions the excitement for snow that we get in the UK (and esp on this forum!) will be significantly less as its totally normal. This is why it doesn't suprise me that weather forums in the UK are packed with people who pine for snow (as opposed to being loaded with heat lovers) as snow is as rare as hens teeth wheras heat isn't - except this naff summer of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Anything lower than 5C is a no no, thats when I tend to stop being able to do things properly anything lower than 0-5C, and it has had an affect on my ability to think, I have found ( of course thats without suitable warm clothing).

:)

If I had to unbolt the cards from my chest then heat is what I like. The hotter in Summer the better ~ The warmer in Winter the better.

There's nothing like sitting in your garden when temperatures overtake 30C and leave behind the 20's.

Although, I would like some snowfall this Winter for my son Harry (15wks). And cold and snow go hand in hand :lol: :)

Mammatus