Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Improving the Photography area

Posted

I think this is a better place to discuss the improving of the photography area. Just to summarise some of the ideas put forward so far:

• Perhaps instead of just 'nice pics' etc as comments, people should be encouraged to give a little more information on what in particular they like, which of a selection of photos they like the most and why etc. The reason for this being that thread after thread of photos and 2 pages of people writing very short 'stock' replies isn't the most exciting to read or take part in.
  • People posting photos could also be encouraged give some more information on how they took them, where, when, what they like about them etc - again to make threads a bit more interesting for those reading it.
  • A seperate area for snap shots etc could be created
  • More people encouraged to post their shots into the gallery and save their favourites for the forum.
  • Seperate weather/non weather sub forums could be created
  • Photography in depth option, where a photographer talks a lot more about their photo, what they were trying to achieve with lighting, shadows etc, what lengths they went to in order to get the shot, how many attempts they had at it and where they went wrong, what they like/dislike about the final photo, what techniques, filters or post processing they used and so on.

It's your forum, so please continue to discuss your ideas for the this area here so that we can look to make some improvements and enhance everyones enjoyment of using it.

Posted

Nice words Paul :)

I especially go a long with the 'More people encouraged to post their shots into the gallery and save their favourites for the forum' as it will encourage people to go and look at individuals albums to see what they are taking photos of + you get a much bigger upload allowance.

Posted

I think Paul youve hit the nail on the head......with many great ideas

For me just weather photos.........and the technical side...

would be grate

I think a critiques thread might be an idea, for those who do want constructive criticism.

Yes ok louby that is a valid point but as I stated earlier it may not need to be that clinical,many of my photos are winter weather as it happens........[if I throw a dog a bone I don't wanna know how it tastes]........a quote that springs to mind,by that I mean if i'm told that snowdrift is lit from the wrong angle I'll not care as i'm purely reporting.If on the other hand my photo of a pylon at dawn is criticised coz it had a pylon against the sunrise in it then fair enough as that is my taste...........art is passed onto the ages and the best are remebered and the dross forgotten.I don't think it's fair to police how someone wishes to comment on art..............there lyeth one hell of a slippery slope.

Edited by hannegan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
I think a critiques thread might be an idea, for those who do want constructive criticism.

Agree 100% Similarly I agree with some of the ideas posted above - especially the weather/non-weather split, as well as the idea for more in-depth discussion of photography. I recognise that this isn't a photography forum, but the photographs shared here do generate a fair bit of interest and I for one would be interested in sharing my experiences.

Posted
it may not need to be that clinical

I do understand that Phil, but I am suggestion a critiques thread for those who do want it to be that clinical, those who want honest opinions on their work so they can improve or tweek their techniques to get what they want out of photography.

The other option like I have said before, is for those who want genuine advice and feed back to put in their thread that they do want such feed back.

People have to realise that not all feed back is going to be sweetness and light and that everyone has an opinion, whether it be right or wrong. If people are really that worried about the fact others may not like their work then maybe posting it is not such a good idea.

Posted

i think the main problem is (and i hold my hands up here) that the one-liners acknowledging that you like the pics are just not constructive. i would not post a reply saying "horrible pics" i just would not post at all. but i can see that those who want to post "weather" photos may be looking for more then just platitudes. constructive criticism is always worthwhile

personally i think the gallery is adequate a place for non-weather pics. and we all have the ability to use a blog too. maybe just keep the weather photography as it is and then just add a technical discussion topic too. but in doing so, remind members (like me) that one liners are just not good enough and maybe weed them out as is done in the model thread. :)

just one other point.. i presume the concept of the weather photography thread was to post pictures of weather phenomena. i.e cloud formations/storms/seasonal/ etc etc. and not a case of "my walk in the .............. yesterday" and if so, then maybe the rules should be made stricter as to what constitutes a post in the topic.

Edited by Mick

I do understand that Phil, but I am suggestion a critiques thread for those who do want it to be that clinical, those who want honest opinions on their work so they can improve or tweek their techniques to get what they want out of photography.

The other option like I have said before, is for those who want genuine advice and feed back to put in their thread that they do want such feed back.

People have to realise that not all feed back is going to be sweetness and light and that everyone has an opinion, whether it be right or wrong. If people are really that worried about the fact others may not like their work then maybe posting it is not such a good idea.

Yep I get what you mean and utterly agree with that last point.When I post some arty *arty stuff I would prefer the more talented an experienced photographers such as yourself and others to constructively review my work so as to forward my hobby for me.Additional re: Micks post above I too hope we don't have to read someones life story before we see a piccy(If I read that post correctly)

Edited by hannegan

Posted

Ah but don't think those that are less experienced wouldn't be able to help out either, they may see something the more experienced don't see, as they tend to look into things in a more technical or clinical way. If that makes sense :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Sounds good to me, I love rambling on about where what and why, so that fits my bill. :D

I have always tried to say more than just "nice pics" or the like as I felt uncomfortable with being so brief, so fine there aswell :)

Must use the gallery though, soon as my PC is back on line I'll fill it up :)

Regards,

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Ah but don't think those that are less experienced wouldn't be able to help out either, they may see something the more experienced don't see, as they tend to look into things in a more technical or clinical way. If that makes sense :D

I totally agree Lou, well put!

If my memory is correct, there were some piccies posted last summer of a morning thunderstorm in the english channel, by someone who's name escapes me (think it was a guest who forwarded them on) and everyone was marvelling how technically incredible and wonderful they were, yet to my untrained eye, they looked photoshopped up to the eyeballs, but the critques missed that simple point, and I was pm'd and basically told to shut up as I didnt know what I was talking about! :) but it does go to show that everyone can make an observation that can be missed by another

(anyone caught slagging off my piccies will get my boot up their a*se.......just kidding, :) )

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

A different point - why do people post pictures that are thousands of pixels wide? Are they straight from camera? I find it annoying that I can only view either a tiny thumbnail or a screen-busting 2500 pixel wide picture that takes ages to download. I know many 'browser' friends who find this strange and rather unique to this site, as do I.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
A different point - why do people post pictures that are thousands of pixels wide? Are they straight from camera? I find it annoying that I can only view either a tiny thumbnail or a screen-busting 2500 pixel wide picture that takes ages to download. I know many 'browser' friends who find this strange and rather unique to this site, as do I.

I guess its to do with how your uploading your photos or which hosting site is used...I know with servimg you can change your photo size.....800x600, 640x480, or 250x150 thumbnail image and then cut and paste the relevant bbcode link

Posted

One of my fav areas is the photography section and I love to look through people's shots of our beautiful world outside. From what I have seen, most of the pics seem to be weather related in some way, to me. Not keen on the arty shots though and those that have been messed about with and don't usually want to go into detail and analysis which is why I don't often comment, only to thank the person sometimes if I particularly like a picture. It would be nice to put a brief comment against all the pics I like, to show the photographer that their pic is appreciated, and not for me to have to worry about what other members think of my brief comment, but it would also feel a bit too repetitive. On the other hand sad for someone to have no comments and be put off posting pics in future.

I just love to see photos showing how beautiful creation is and can be. For me, it is creation that really makes the picture, not the person, and I think that the use of any quality of camera is good enough to convey creation and our awesome world to me especially places I don't get to - it takes me away!

Perhaps it is a good idea to have new sections within the photography area so users can go directly to what they want to see, or maybe improved thread titles created by members so that other members won't see anything they don't want to see - if I read the title of a thread and don't fancy going in then I don't! It would also be good to use the gallery area more.

I also like the idea of more of a description of where and when pic was taken, weather conditions etc. Not necessarily lens types, focus etc, but appreciate that others would like to know those things.

Edited by xxsnowflakexx

Posted

Thanks SF :) You have just jolted my old fragile mind into remembering something :)

Comments can be left in the gallery area! So those that feel they would like to comment however long or short can do so.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Has there been any progress on stopping "Nice pics" comments?

Posted

Can anyone put up a guide on how to post photo's please ?

Edited by Delta76

Posted
Click add reply

Then at the side (right) it says choose. Click choose then click on the photo. Now press Upload.

That should be it :)

can see add reply cant see the word 'choose' anyhere on the screen that opens up the ????

Posted

Just click 'Browse' bottom right, when you are adding a reply and then choose your photo (preferably no bigger than 1024x800 ) then click upload. Once upload is complete you can repeat if you want to add more pictures. Once you have uploaded all you want, just click on Manage current attachements (just above browse) and click on the pictures you would like to add to you post.

:) hope this helps

I am sure their is an official guide on how to somewhere, just not sure where :)

Posted
Just click 'Browse' bottom right, when you are adding a reply and then choose your photo (preferably no bigger than 1024x800 ) then click upload. Once upload is complete you can repeat if you want to add more pictures. Once you have uploaded all you want, just click on Manage current attachements (just above browse) and click on the pictures you would like to add to you post.

I am sure their is an official guide on how to somewhere, just not sure where :)

Thanks Louby now i'm getting somewhere !!!

And if you upload the wrong photo click Manage Current Attacments. Click the red cross and this will remove the photo.

Posted

Cheers Paul...looks like I've been doing it the hard way!.....using a 3rd party host and linking BBcode.....much quicker your way! :)