Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

'No Sun link' to climate change

biffvernon

Guest Shetland Coastie

A paper by Livingstone & Penn which suggest sunspots may vanish by 2015 leading to a Maunder type minimum.

The paper relates to spectrographic analysis of sunspots and has identified a previously unnoticed trend in magnetism and the temperature of sunspots.

Sunspot paper

Posted

From Solar Cycle 24.com

Here is some content from an E-Mail that was forwarded to me which discusses the small area that formed last month.

QUESTION

-------------

Regarding the official count of sunspots for the month of August 2008:

Many stations did not observe any sunspots on the 21st or the 22nd of August. Which stations did report the sunspots that were included in the SIDC count for those dates?

The SIDC report for August

http://www.sidc.be/products/ri_hemispheric/

lists a count for sunspots in the southern hemisphere on the 21st and 22nd of August. Which stations reported seeing sunspots in the southern hemisphere?

Thank you for your help.

RESPONSE

-------------

Dear Sir,

Indeed, many stations did not report any spots on August 21 and 22. Yet, a number of stations did, including Catania Observatory, one of our main data providers. See

http://web.ct.astro.it/sun/spdata/080821.txt

http://web.ct.astro.it/sun/spdata/080822.txt

ftp://ftp.ct.astro.it/sundraw/OAC_D_20080821_063500.jpg

ftp://ftp.ct.astro.it/sundraw/OAC_D_20080822_055000.jpg

On August 21, a total of 17 stations reported spots (mostly a single spot). On August 22, 14 stations reported spots. This is sufficient to warrant a non-zero sunspot number for those days.

Concerning the hemispheric distribution, there it is obviously physically impossible to distribute the one spot observed over the two hemispheres. However, as there are observations both in southern and in northern hemisphere, with an automated procedure such as we use for the provisional sunspot numbers, it is not evident to decide between north or south location. Combined with low sunspot counts (creating already doubts about whether to select zero or not) and the physically meaningful but not obvious to implement statistically constraint that total equals north+south, this sometimes leads to the current result. At the time that we provide the definitive numbers, based on all observers in the network, manual intervention will be used to determine the best choice for the hemispheric location. (In this instance, this choice will be simple, since only one observer put the spot in the south on August 21, while 2 did so on August 22.)

Kind regards

Ronald Van der Linden

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

An interesting report out from NASA today about a 20% or so reduction in Solar Wind. In it they do mention a controversial link to possible climate change. Read it here

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

22 Mar 09 – (From Spaceweather.com) “As of March 21st, the sun has been blank on 85% of the days of 2009. If this rate of spotlessness continues, 2009 will match 1913 as the blankest year of the past century. A flurry of new-cycle sunspots in Oct. 2008 prompted some observers to declare that solar minimum was ending, but since then the calm has returned. We are still in the pits of a deep solar minimum.”

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Thanks to Thomas Loher for this link

Where is this most intense maxima going to come from Hathaway? That is what folk should be demanding from NASA!!! This is getting more and more important......anyone for a cool/cold and blocked spring?

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Wasn't Solar max supposed to be in 2012? That's one hell of a ramp up coming.....Not.

All joking aside and leaving the AGW argument out of it; historically we know what happens when the Sun enters a deep minimum, shouldn't we be at least looking at making some preparations for such a consequence? We can barely feed the World's population now, what hope is there if growing seasons are shortened and yields drastically reduced?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Wasn't Solar max supposed to be in 2012? That's one hell of a ramp up coming.....Not.

All joking aside and leaving the AGW argument out of it; historically we know what happens when the Sun enters a deep minimum, shouldn't we be at least looking at making some preparations for such a consequence? We can barely feed the World's population now, what hope is there if growing seasons are shortened and yields drastically reduced?

I really don't think we have much evidence of an upcoming Little Ice-Age yet, Jethro; though I do agree with you, that if we do sink into a Maunderlike minimum that that is what can expect to happen...

I just do not know, Jethro... :lol: :lol:

Posted

I'm sure our beloved government, will be looking at ways to raise some extra income regarding this Jethro. After all it's best to have all your bases covered, that way it's money in the bank either way! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
I just do not know, Jethro... :lol: :lol:

Lol, I don't think anyone does.

I kind of like the idea that in this day and age of satellites, super computers and the like, that we're still so clueless about many things. Perverse? Moi? Surely not....

As a professional gardener I'd had enough problems convincing people to ignore the "plant Mediterranean style" advice which has been pouring from every source, imagine their scorn if I start down the "deep Solar minimum" line of conversation. I had one bloke who wanted an avenue of Olive trees, no amount of "they will die" advice from me made any difference. He got his avenue, can't say it looked too healthy after the -10's we got in the New Year. C'est la vie.