Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

first swallow

BARRY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Saw the first Swallow here on Monday morning, pickings must be thin because there don't seem to be many insects about yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I may be a bit slow (as ever) but has anyone else seen Swifts yet? I saw three in East Sussex yesterday afternoon, but haven't seen any reports of others elsewhere, which seems a bit late compared to the last few years.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Saw my first swift (actually there were 2) Friday just gone. This evening (although a little chilly here on the NE coast) i saw a group of about 5 doing their usual acrobatics, tight formation flying and the odd scream ..!! Oooh the sound of summer..

Posted

You're right; it doesn't seem like summer until I hear that 'squeeeeeeeeee' and see them batting about.

Posted
You're right; it doesn't seem like summer until I hear that 'squeeeeeeeeee' and see them batting about.

Cant believe youve not seen them down your location, i'm way north and i saw them 4 days ago and

always every year i look out for them, i love the little blighters. I had a nesting pair in my eves, but last

year they didnt return :p if they dont come this year i reckon they've probably stayed further south coz the

weather's crap here :p :lol:

Posted
Cant believe youve not seen them down your location, i'm way north and i saw them 4 days ago and

always every year i look out for them, i love the little blighters. I had a nesting pair in my eves, but last

year they didnt return :p if they dont come this year i reckon they've probably stayed further south coz the

weather's crap here :p :lol:

I'm not normally down in Sussex, I was just down there for the weekend. I usually only see them here in my particular patch of n/w London later on when the ants are flying - there aren't any nesting sites that close so it's only when the ants from the Kensal Green mega-colony fly that I see them. In a bumper year it's yucky - entire streets are carpeted with ants, but at least it provides food for the Swifts.

• 3 months later...
Posted
2 swallows just arrived, headed straight for the cow-shed !!

Well the initial 2 I saw in April are about it !!

Seriously, numbers are well down, I can walk around the farm & see no more than a dozen, not seen a Swift for weeks.

Anyone else see the same ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Well the initial 2 I saw in April are about it !!

Seriously, numbers are well down, I can walk around the farm & see no more than a dozen, not seen a Swift for weeks.

Anyone else see the same ?

Very few here this summer too, also Owls have been few and far between; perhaps the cold, wet spring had an impact on their prey?

Posted
Very few here this summer too, also Owls have been few and far between; perhaps the cold, wet spring had an impact on their prey?

Possibly, it's certainly boogered my damsons etc

Posted

Got quite a few swallows round here at the moment, had to rescue one the other week that had been caught in a strong gust of wind and ended up under the garden table.

Possibly, it's certainly boogered my damsons etc

Swifts returned to Wimbledon Common today.

They normally pass here on the way back South in September and hang on till October if pressure remains high.

Debate

1 They know what is about to happen = portend of a bad autumn

2. They know what has happened further North = too wet & windy to produce flying insects to feed on - & are flying South!

Posted

Swifts look like a double-ended scimitar and go sqeeeeeeeeeeeee. When they fly low, they're noticeable larger than swallows and martins.

Swallows are smaller, dart about, don't make much noise and have forked tails. They sit on telephone wires, which swifts don't.

It's been an awful year down here for both as there have been almost no insects for them to feed on at all.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Swifts look like a double ended-scimitar and go sqeeeeeeeeeeeee. When they fly low, they're noticeable larger than swallows and martins.

Swallows are smaller, dart about, don't make much noise and have forked tails. They sit on telephone wires, which swifts don't.

:nonono: thanks hinny will look for that now

Posted
Swifts look like a double-ended scimitar and go sqeeeeeeeeeeeee. When they fly low, they're noticeable larger than swallows and martins.

More of a Sqaaaaaaaaaaa around here. Must be the regional accent :D

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'd been wondering whether they'd do a runner early this year. In our location the near constant rain must have made it impossible to catch insects on the wing so I'm wondering if they bred well this year.

Normaly the young stay a little longer but as I sit here on me hammock the skies are devoid of Swallows and Martins though they were here yesterday as I pointed one out to Sarah.

• 1 year later...
Posted

Well I've had a good look and not seen a swallow or a swift for about a week now - Goodbye Summer '09 !!!!

Anyone got any stragglers around ??

This morning there were approximately 2000 Swallows twittering away as they sat, South facing, on power lines across a field in the village I was working in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

We've still got quite a few around here, they were quite late arriving this year though, don't know if that makes any difference? Perhaps they've got a time-share thing going on at the other end....

Completely unrelated... loads of Barn Owls this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Tits like coconuts.

who has?