Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

your winter summary

jy

Posted
I concur although that Easter morning's snow almost made up for the dire period from Christmas Eve to the end of January.

Does this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7376301.stm mean we might have our proper winters back for a few years?

I would like to think so. However, the Met office have made recent comment on 2007 being slightly cooler than recent years but that the general trend in the next few years would still be upwards for global temps, with one or two years in the next 6 or so likely to warmer than the current record 1998. I'd just like to see a couple decent winters before this projected endless upwards curve in global temps really kicks in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
I would like to think so. However, the Met office have made recent comment on 2007 being slightly cooler than recent years but that the general trend in the next few years would still be upwards for global temps, with one or two years in the next 6 or so likely to warmer than the current record 1998. I'd just like to see a couple decent winters before this projected endless upwards curve in global temps really kicks in.

Me too!!!

Posted

Absolutely hopeless here if you are a snow lover,we had a couple of days with around 6cms lying but as they were immediately followed by a thaw in my mind they do not rate. In the past the snow froze overnight and we were left with a wintry scene for a few days-it seems to be some time since that occured ( over 2 years).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think for the North East region, the last such instance was in the easterly outbreak of 27-30 December 2005, when the entire region was snow-covered from the 28th to 30th and some inland parts also had lying snow on the 27th.

March 2006 might have managed it in some parts of the region around the 4th and again around the 12th.

But yes, nothing in the last two winters- which is very unusual, even for coastal parts of the region, and especially so inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

There was a lack of Cold sunny days and Snow here last winter. A very changeable weather pattern troughout with very mild temperatures at times.

6th April 08 saw a light dusting, before turning much warmer a week after.

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
I think for the North East region, the last such instance was in the easterly outbreak of 27-30 December 2005, when the entire region was snow-covered from the 28th to 30th and some inland parts also had lying snow on the 27th.

March 2006 might have managed it in some parts of the region around the 4th and again around the 12th.

But yes, nothing in the last two winters- which is very unusual, even for coastal parts of the region, and especially so inland.

Yes in terms of days with full snow cover throughout this winter for our neck of the woods was poor on a par with 2006/2007. In fact the majority of recent years have had few such days. Certainly, its been a long time since we have had over 5 such days in a row. Late Dec 2000 did the job for me in the lake district but not sure about Newcastle. What is needed is for high pressure from a polar source ideally to build in once snow has falling. Perfect synoptic is for a southerly tracking jet with associated front with high pressure building to the north and importantly sustaining itself for a while. Its been a while since this has occured.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A very poor winter overall. Ther was signs of hope in late Dec for what might happen in early Jan and it did look like we were going to hit the jackpot but alas it didnt come to much. I did get a 3 hr snowfall on 3rd of Jan giving a few inches but low and behold the our old friend the Atlantic was back the next day and the snow was gone by lunchtime, i was left thinking what might have been if that cold spell had come off. The rest of the winter apart from some hard frosts in Feb was completly and utterly forgetable. ( yes some in Britain did get some good snowfall in March,but for me i got jack)