Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Palo Duro Canyon Pics

Gorky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I think this is probably best in it's own thread rather than added to the 5 page one we already have. This is the first part of todays trip to Palo Duro Canyon. It was certainly worth it and proved to be a great place to practice my rather poor photography skills :)

The approach to the Canyon is typical Panhandle plains - Completely flat with no visible changes in terrain ecept the faint curvature of the earth possibly :) When you arrive at the canyon, it appears completely out of place. I pulled into the first carpark with the visitor centre and decided to take the first trail I came accross. I was not dissappointed.

Here is the view from the top of the trail.

post-1731-1209436064_thumb.jpg

Looking back at where I started.

post-1731-1209436084_thumb.jpg

An interesting old bridge with rails made of really cool looking deadwood.

post-1731-1209436116_thumb.jpg

View from the top of the cliff. Note the sheer drop off that slate rock which was actually overhanging by a good couple of meters. I did not get any clsoer considering that Steak I had last night might have been too much for it to cope with.

post-1731-1209436133_thumb.jpg

A cool little footbridge over a dried stream.

post-1731-1209436158_thumb.jpg

Very nice rock formations overlooking a great backdrop.

post-1731-1209436190_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to get braver now. Stood on the edge of a 30ft drop down to a steep 150ft slope. The wind was picking up also. I probably shoudln't have taken this shot :)

post-1731-1209436231_thumb.jpg

The same vantage point looking the other way. Note the jagged rocks. A fall would not have been good :)

post-1731-1209436210_thumb.jpg

I climbed to the top of one of the peaks to take a little panorama. Due to the wide angle lens, you don't really appreciate the height I am at, and how steep the slope was. The wind really picked up whilst I was up, and I again chickened out from doing a full 360 degrees. The trail can be seen heading over the next ridge. I wonder where it leads.

post-1731-1209436252_thumb.jpg

Another set of interesting rocks. These formations were everywhere.

post-1731-1209436271_thumb.jpg

The ridge path over to the next peak. What lies over this one!

post-1731-1209436322_thumb.jpg

Another ridge. Again the wideangle lens doesn't do this justice as the sides of the hill are at about 45 degree angles from either side of the path. Again, it's a long way down if you slip.

post-1731-1209436348_thumb.jpg

End of the road! The trail ended at this peak with a very cool rock at the top. Great views on all angles. I screwed up my panorama attempt here however :)

post-1731-1209436411_thumb.jpg

I have plenty more pictures and video from later in the afternoon. I'll update this thread tomorrow with more if you like these. I will be getting an early night tonight however!

Cheers,

Nathan

Edited by Gorky

Posted

Pretty stunning pics there, everythings so vast. Great panoramic views :)

Posted

look real nice..wish I was there...Gorky how come your not with the other guys..Are you storm chasing on your own?

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Yes, I am on my own Dogs, but it's no offense to the others. They are a great bunch and I'd be happy to chase with them any day. I guess I like being in charge of myself though and being able to just spend 3 days in this Canyon without having to worry if someone's eaten way to much Big Texan Steak to make it to the first ridge is the sort of thing which led me to this. Being free to do whatever I want is just great, especially with half of the USA to play in :)

Without further ado, here's a further selection of pics. Today wasn't so successful really for me in terms of photography. Intermittent cirrus cloud cover really screwed with my lighting on many shots and due to the brightness, it was difficult to review the shots as I was going around. Still I think I have learned a lot and if this makes me be able to take better shots once the storms arrive, all the better.

The majority of these were taken on the Lighthouse Trail. It's 6 miles long and torturous on a day when temperatures got into the 90's (93 on the in-car after completing the hike).

Anyway, these are the photos which turned out good. I'll just put them in one post rather than explain them all. They are not in any real order but the alst few are my favourites, probably because of the amazing colours. Nothing has been altered from the original photos. Even if I knew how to, I don't have access to Adobe Elements or siimilar on this Laptop. I could probably rescue some of the overexposed and underexposed images with it :) Feel free to aim any tips and criticisms at me. They'll onl help me shoot better photos in the future.

post-1731-1209516848_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209516860_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209516870_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209516881_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209516898_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209516912_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517469_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517361_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517013_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517026_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517038_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517054_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1209517077_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Watch yerself Nathan that looks like 'scalping' country..!! I'd be constantly looking out for snakes and the likes,

certainly would have me big boots on (a pair of Shuggee's Doc Martins would be ideal..!) I have an image in my

head of you on ya hands and knees muttering 'water, water, and seeing the Big Texan steakhouse in the distance

but realizing its only a mirage... :rolleyes:

Great shots btw, stunning scenery.

Stay safe on ya own, big risk only having one set of eyes..!!

Posted

I wish I had brought a big pair of boots to be honest. Doing that walk in my trainers has left me with some nasty blisters :rolleyes: My black trainers are now beige thanks to the sand also :D

post-1731-1209556576_thumb.jpg

Posted

Sensational Pics there Gorky...I cant even begin too imagine what it feels like surrouned by such

landscapes. It looks simply breath taking.

I loved that little old bridge too, it has so much character.

Those trainers look like you bought them that colour :lol:

Anyway thank s for all these nice pictures and reports I am enjoying them very much.

Take care out there

Brian :)

Posted

Excellent pics Gorky..I see what you mean about on your own..I hope to do the same some day...

Real nice pics.....the countries scenery is fantastic.....Looks like Arizona but Im probably wrong

anyway stay safe..good hunting storms...get some great shots.ps...its tipping it down here...

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Great photo's there Nath.. Hope you get some interesting weather shots to compliment the landscapes.. :lol:

Posted

Yep those photos are really good some are so vast!

I think its good to have a couple of down days now and then so you can also visit some others areas otherwise its like one non-stop storm chase but you don't get as good as a feel for the area because your too busy looking upwards!

Posted

Thanks for sharing those pictures,some fantastic views,watch out for guys with cigars though! :D