Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning taken yesterday

Posted

post-6250-1210408591_thumb.jpg

My 1st ever lightning pic... what do you think?

I took over 300 shots to get this one as i couldn't get my settings right on my Canon 350d for daytime storms... always a white screen... but it was worth it to get this one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

excellent photo there, nice contrasts, and good clarity. I've failed miserably trying to take lightning pics, what settings did you use? was it a point, click & hope? (like all mine are lol) or did you have it on a timed exposure?........ :good:

Posted
excellent photo there, nice contrasts, and good clarity. I've failed miserably trying to take lightning pics, what settings did you use? was it a point, click & hope? (like all mine are lol) or did you have it on a timed exposure?........ :good:

Yeah unfortunately it was a point and shoot on multiburst on a landscape setting. I did try bulb setting but always a white screen. lol

Posted

Very nice Zoe...next time i get a TS im gonna try and take a pic of lightning...but as you say timing is everything.

Posted

well done .....I was trying to get my first shot yesterday But FAILED :good: ....I know the frustration of the settings....what setting did you use...what mode...and F/

ps use a density filter for daytime shots...they suppose to help...allows you more F/ Settings

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Odds of 300 to 1 are quite normal for daytime lightning photography :good: , unless you have a special gizmo to photoelectricaly release the shutter for you.

Well done Zoe, you can tell you did all you could by the dust specs on the picture, indicating a high "f" number, that and a low ISO is all you can do. There are special filters, I think MCT said about them on another thread the other day :)

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Well done getting lightning in the daytime, it's something I haven't tried. It's a great feeling when you capture lightning, when I did it the other week I was jumping around :good:

About the filters that Rusty mentioned, you can get Neutral Density filters, ND2, ND4 and ND8, with ND8 cutting out the most light, but still not really enough for daytime lightning. I recently found ND400 filters but they seem very hard to get hold of, here's a few on Amazon US.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0

Here's a review of one from Amazon, stating that you can do 15 second exposures even in daylight.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0002...howViewpoints=1

Sounds ideal but I can't find any available in the UK, I may order one from America soon though.

Posted

brillphoto Zoe, weather watching for more decades than I care to repeat and I've never captured a lightning shot other than a cam coder at night and then not very good.

still with a surname like you have you are bound to be good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That is extremely impressive- especially considering the extent of the lightning you got.

I tried capturing lightning for years and never succeeded, including some annoying near-misses. I've given up on that these days, preferring to cheat by taking videos! It works quite well but the quality is never quite as good as it would be from a standard "point and shoot" type photo.

Posted
brillphoto Zoe, weather watching for more decades than I care to repeat and I've never captured a lightning shot other than a cam coder at night and then not very good.

still with a surname like you have you are bound to be good!

Lol yeah! I was amazed when i got it.. had to trail through loads of pics to find that 1! I was so happy.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The reason we mostly miss capturing lightning is the simple fact that the thought process and

execution of taking a photo is roughly the same speed lightning sparks, so i'm not suprised you

took over 300 to get one..!! Well done Zoe, i've tried a few times but never successful just not

enough lightning stikes per/min to be 'lucky'.

Posted
post-6250-1210408591_thumb.jpg

My 1st ever lightning pic... what do you think?

I took over 300 shots to get this one as i couldn't get my settings right on my Canon 350d for daytime storms... always a white screen... but it was worth it to get this one!

Nice shot Zoe. Well done. As others have said not easy to get a daylight lightning shot. Not that easy after dark come to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Wow! Well done! I'd love to catch lighning one day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Great capture, daytime ligthning is really difficult. My other half lives in aylesbury too, she had the same storm! :D

Posted

Hopefully we'll have some more storms this year so i can get out and catch some more! I want one of those spectacular evening ones that light up the cloud within as well as displaying fork lightning!

Posted

You are not the only one Zoe! although I would just settle for another night shot full stop, been ages since my last one :p

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Excellent capture-waiting does pay off. Would have looked electrifying (no pun intended!) at night. VERY well done!