Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted

Oh well thought I was spot on this month but nevermind... dropping one more place but still stuck mid table in top 10 as I have been since February yo-yoing around between 4 and 6, can I break into the top 3 this year..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It looks as though sticking with average or just below has been a winner this Summer. :doh:

I have done the same for September so we will see. [Didn't work in May though].

Thanks to Jackone for all the hard work he puts in for this.

Posted

First time since 1987 that no summer month was above the 30 year average.

I can probably find more completely ridiculous stats but that one was quite interesting I thought - whilst not a cold summer, it was relentlessly slightly short of average!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I can probably find more completely ridiculous stats but that one was quite interesting I thought - whilst not a cold summer, it was relentlessly slightly short of average!

Confused says the CET for August was 0.6 above the average ?

Posted

^^^^^

It IS 0.6c above average if you use the outdated and anomolously cold 61-90 average, rather than the much more relevent 71-00 which the Met Office and WMO should have moved to using years ago, but for some reason, still don't (this is one of the reasons I actually prefer Philip Edens Manley CET, because at least he uses 71-00 averages and puts the current CET in a relevent historical context.

Anyway, at 16.2 that means August has come in with the same CET as July. Thats only happened twice since 1900 - 18.1 in July and Augist 1911 and 15.4 in July and August 1974.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Philip Eden has given his August 2008 assessment and it was the dullest August since 1912.

http://www.climate-uk.com/monthly/0808.htm

Some of the sunshine figures are truely shocking

Interesting reading also a lack of Thunder being recorded as well. 14 new record lows set for sunshine. Wow.

Posted

Just compare February 2008 with August 2008 sunshine wise

Feb 08

http://www.climate-uk.com/monthly/0802.htm

Aug 08

Eskdalemuir recorded 41hrs for August 2008 and that goes with the 11hrs recorded in January 2008!

Can you imagine 2 months with just 52 hours of sunshine!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Just compare February 2008 with August 2008 sunshine wise

Feb 08

http://www.climate-uk.com/monthly/0802.htm

Aug 08

Eskdalemuir recorded 41hrs for August 2008 and that goes with the 11hrs recorded in January 2008!

Can you imagine 2 months with just 52 hours of sunshine!?

I wouldn't like to live there I would get rather depressed.

Posted

I thought that was interesting :)

I assume on New Years Day 2011 he will start using an even more relevent CET average, in the form of 1981-2010

I`ve wondered that I`ll always go by the 71-00 average as I wasn`t about in the 60s well just 1month and abit so anyone older would go by the 61-90 average I`d say,and anyone under 18 would go by the 91-2020 average :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well there was no lack of thunder in Norwich with thunder on 6 days- must have hit lucky!

41 hours of sunshine at Eskdalemuir is shocking even if you take into account that it was using a K-Z sunshine sensor (a C-S recorder would probably be about 20% higher, giving a total of about 51 hours- still well under half the average!) It's notable that February was, indeed, widely sunnier than August.