Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What would make the perfect winter

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
My ideal set up would be a greenland high in situ for most of the winter ensuring low pressure steers on a southerly track and behind them we are enveloped in lovely arctic continental/maritime air bringing sparkling visibility and plenty of snow showers, at times the high would ridge south killing off showers to bring dry sunny but sub-zero weather. A winter with plenty of late Feb 2006/early Mar 2006 weather would be great, I wouldn't necessarily want a permanent freeze up, just a winter made up of of snowy spells interespersed with dry frosty sunny weather and a couple of milder alebit shortlived wet spells..

Incidentally, your idea of an "ideal" winter has a lot in common with mine. I'd personally throw a few more mild cyclonic bright showery interludes and mild sunny southerlies (February 2008-style) in there as well, but I completely agree with the emphasis on sunshine-and-snow-showers type setups and cold sunny frosty spells. The charts I custom-made for my "Paradise Weather Sequence" (giving the weather I'd bring on each day if I had control of the weather for a year) a while ago when I had too much time on my hands showed consistent +ve anomalies around Greenland/Iceland for the winter half-year.

I certainly enjoyed the first week of March 2006; after that I recall the second half in particular went downhill with excessive cloud cover and not much of either snow or sunny mild weather.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The cold spell of Jan 82 was what made me begin to have an interest in weather. I had never seen so much snow in Ireland before. The record Irish min temp was set in Jan 82,-19c i think in the north irish midlands.

Posted

Ideal winter season based on last 21 years -

Nov 1993 , Dec 1995, Jan 1987, Feb 1996, Mar 1995 - an early start to the winter with lovely frosty mid-late Nov and early snowfalls for most, followed by a proper seasonal december with a major freeze up in time for christmas, then a brief milder spell in early Jan to give some respite to be followed by another very cold snowy freeze up in January - perfect timing a few days off work perhaps... then a slow warm up, followed by a snowy but not as severe cold through Feb then an interesting topsy turvy march with snow early and late with plenty of sunshine throughout.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Remarkably, I don't find anything that I would disagree with there!

I remember that I first started observing the weather strongly back in 1993 (when my records started) and developed the association of easterly winds with sea fog and stratocumulus layers (I was only nine at the time so had very limited weather knowledge). Thus, it was something of a surprise to wake up on 21 November 1993 to see clear intervals and convective cloud from an easterly- and even more so when snow flurries followed.

I was too young to appreciate January 1987 but since I don't recall any particularly good (in my opinion) Januarys during the 1993-2008 period I'd happily go along with Jan '87 which had that famous easterly spell, which would be quite an experience.

December 1995 would have to get the nod in my book because of the white Christmas, while given my preference for episodic months, alternating mild and cold spells and above average sunshine totals, it would be hard to beat February 1996 and March 1995.

Posted
I was too young to appreciate January 1987 but since I don't recall any particularly good (in my opinion) Januarys during the 1993-2008 period I'd happily go along with Jan '87 which had that famous easterly spell, which would be quite an experience.

Such a shame you don't recall 87 because the winters since then including Feb 91,95/96 have been poor in comparison.

The top 3 for me are these.

(1) 1978-79 for the exceptional blizzards with my primary school being closed because we literally couldn't get into the school due to the drifts which were 8ft high!

(2) 1981 mainly due to the severity of cold rather than snowfall, hair/eyebrows used to turn white due to the freezing fog!

(3) 1987 incredible low max temps -7C and persistant heavy snow for 72hrs.

Even though I was only 7yrs old in 1978 I still remember vivdly the news flash warning of severe blizzards on the way and I still remember the snow falling in the street light. To have such vivid memories of a weather event at that age proves how severe the event actually was!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
The cold spell of Jan 82 was what made me begin to have an interest in weather. I had never seen so much snow in Ireland before. The record Irish min temp was set in Jan 82,-19c i think in the north irish midlands.

Off the radio I use to record pages of weather form the London Volmit South and London Volmit North radio announcement

Not sure if that was the right name ?, just a 'computer generated voice with updates every half hour, all info up in the attic. This is early to mid 80s

It would give air pressure due point temp and weather so on

Birmingham temp - 18C DP -20C . I think it was Jan 82 ?

Going to dig them out, anyone know what those radio stations were?

Dec 81 (sliding bus on way to school) Feb 86 Jan 87 For me . They stick out as a student at Polly with my 6 jumpers Feb 86 on and parents house move Jan 87

Re Jan 79 (I kept detailed diaries then so would probably have details how long my snow man lasted, id move the small remains to find best location in garden and probably add ice from the freezer so not that scientific)

Those months would be fine

ps plus a white christmas , id give up a month for that (ie it can rain in feb)

Posted
Such a shame you don't recall 87 because the winters since then including Feb 91,95/96 have been poor in comparison.

I'd agree that any January after 1987 has paled by comparison, and certainly in the Tyneside area, the only comparable event has been that of February 1991 (I wasn't old enough to really appreciate it- I think the February 1991 event constitutes my first memory of snow as it happens.)

But as far as the winter quarter is concerned, in terms of cold/snow overall, 1990/91 and 1995/96 were not poor by comparison. As Mr Data often points out, 1986/87 was remarkable only for that January event- December and February had very little snow, and February 1991's event, if not as severe as January 1987 for cold, was right up there with it in terms of snowfall and snow cover. For western areas February 1996 was also quite a month. In addition 1990/91 and 1995/96 both boasted significant wintry spells in all three of the main winter months. March 1987 was admittedly snowy, but similarly snowy Marches have subsequently occurred in 1995, 2001 and 2006.

The winters of 1978/79 and 1981/82 on the other hand- now those were remarkable winters for cold/snow.

Posted
I'd agree that any January after 1987 has paled by comparison, and certainly in the Tyneside area, the only comparable event has been that of February 1991 (I wasn't old enough to really appreciate it- I think the February 1991 event constitutes my first memory of snow as it happens.)

But as far as the winter quarter is concerned, in terms of cold/snow overall, 1990/91 and 1995/96 were not poor by comparison. As Mr Data often points out, 1986/87 was remarkable only for that January event- December and February had very little snow, and February 1991's event, if not as severe as January 1987 for cold, was right up there with it in terms of snowfall and snow cover. For western areas February 1996 was also quite a month. In addition 1990/91 and 1995/96 both boasted significant wintry spells in all three of the main winter months. March 1987 was admittedly snowy, but similarly snowy Marches have subsequently occurred in 1995, 2001 and 2006.

The winters of 1978/79 and 1981/82 on the other hand- now those were remarkable winters for cold/snow.

As I recall the first snows of the February spell actually fell on Friday the 28th of January but the real cold did not arrive until the following Monday and this topped up what remained of the previous snowfall ( I am of course well inand from your locationTWS) ,the snow persisted for most of the month and it is indeed the last really snowy month we have experienced.

Posted

february 1991 was extraordinary in london. powder snow several inches deep in covent garden, central london. nothing like it since. but the best was the winter of 81/82 by far. i wonder if we will ever see the like again. certainly in london its a case of maybe two days of snow a year these days!

Posted

I can just about remember 62/63 and living in Uxbridge Middx the snow was a foot deep what seemed like forever . New years eve 1978 will always stay in my mind as I took the dog for a walk after coming back from a party and the wind made the snow horizontal and it was unbelievably cold. For the South East for a short time, January 1987 was and still is one of the coldest spells ever recording and temperatures were colder than at any time during 62/63. It snowed almost constantly for 4 days with what seemed like storm force winds-making level snow of 2ft into 20ft drifts. Biggin Hill 19 miles from Central London was cut off and buses were buried under the drifts. I would like to experience that again in my life time along with February 1991 where for the first time I can remember snow lay 8ins deep for a few days even in the City of London - dream on :)

Posted

Winter 81/82 was quite unique in respect that the first half was very very cold with much snow whereas the second half was just average, normally it is the second half of the winter which is snowier and colder than the first half.

Also quite unique in how we saw two exceptionally cold spells in the space of less than a month with record low temps falling on both occasions, mid Jan 1982 would have felt much harsher than Jan 1987 given the bitter cold people had already endured in December, winter 81/82 would have beaten 62/63 hands down had it continued in similiar vein after the 15th Jan but quite remarkably no real cold spell was felt again during the rest of the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

My best composite winter would be Nov 1993, Dec 1981, Jan 1963, ( or 85) Feb 1947, Mar 1965, April 1908. This is purely from a Dorset perspective.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

would, dosent seem possible nowadays, would only be sleet at low levels nowadays, even larger teapot sucks,

i briefly remember it 3 days of snow in a row when i was little, 3 school days

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
Also quite unique in how we saw two exceptionally cold spells in the space of less than a month with record low temps falling on both occasions, mid Jan 1982 would have felt much harsher than Jan 1987 given the bitter cold people had already endured in December, winter 81/82 would have beaten 62/63 hands down had it continued in similiar vein after the 15th Jan but quite remarkably no real cold spell was felt again during the rest of the winter.

From what I remember of those winters they were very different types of cold. The Jan 87 cold spell was famously known for its very cold upper temps bringing very low max temps on a strong E,ly wind. The 81/82 cold spell didn't actually bring especially cold upper temps but the reason why the temps fell so low is because of deep snowfall, clear skies, light winds. The record temp for that winter fell in Jan 82 but for England the coldest temps were experienced on the 13th Dec 81 with Shawbury recording -25.1C. Looking back at that period it was a kind of domino effect and because the temps on the morning of the 12th fell to -22C that mean't temps struggled to -14C during the day. By 6pm of that evening the temps had dropped to -22C and subsequently the temps dropped to -25C the following morning.

I would say overall the 81/82 cold spell was more intense but I would never want to experience walking into a 30mph headwind with max temps of -7C and having to walk backwards because the sheer intensity of the snow made it hard to breathe!

Posted

Quite right. I note in particular that the lowest temperatures in January 1982 occurred after the easterly (temporarily) ran out of steam, whereas January 1987's cold coincided exactly with the peak of the easterly spell- which is highly consistent with the above observations.

Even places like Sunderland dipped below -10 in January 1982- that would not happen with a strong east wind direct off the North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
The ultimate for me has to be 14/15 Feb 1979

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119790214.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119790215.gif

Strength of the wind plus heavy snow and sub zero temps, perfection.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

I'm with you all the way on that choice, Mark. A winter with a dozen repeats of that event would do me nicely, in my lifetime only the blizzard of mid February 1956 comes close for a combination of temperature, snowfall and wind strength; there must have been a good few in 1947 but unfortunately that was before my time.

Feb' 1986 was good for persistent cold, only two days exceeded 0c here and the month's max' was 0.7c on the 24th, but it didn't have the heavy snowfall of Jan' and Feb 1979, having said that, there was 25-30cm of level snow lying for the whole month but with little addition after the first few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A Winter like 1962/63 for me.

It started to snow in England on boxing day and thawed in early March. (see my signature below)

It beats any other cold spell/winter in my lifetime both for its longevity and it`s nationwide extent.

Remarkably we had many sunny days during the snow and sub-zero cold weeks.

1947 would come a poor second as it didn`t really start untill mid-January.

It would be quite something for many of you younger members to experience a 62/63 type Winter just to show you what a real long cold spell feels like.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

now for me you must pick months or years you actually experienced yourself 1st hand..none of this id like jan 1740 followed by feb 1895 nonsense :doh: personsally i would go with the 1st 2weeks of dec 81 followed by the last 2 weeks of dec 78...followed by jan 79...followed by the 1st 2 weeks of feb 78 finishing with the last 2 weeks of feb 86....honourable mentions go to jan 82...feb 79,91..im not big fan of jan 87..yes extremely cold..but short lived...after 1991..nothing has been cold enough or snowy enough to have registered in my brain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
now for me you must pick months or years you actually experienced yourself 1st hand..none of this id like jan 1740 followed by feb 1895 nonsense :doh: personsally i would go with the 1st 2weeks of dec 81 followed by the last 2 weeks of dec 78...followed by jan 79...followed by the 1st 2 weeks of feb 78 finishing with the last 2 weeks of feb 86....honourable mentions go to jan 82...feb 79,91..im not big fan of jan 87..yes extremely cold..but short lived...after 1991..nothing has been cold enough or snowy enough to have registered in my brain.

I agree with your post,but one post 1991 winter month i would give an honourable mention to would be Dec 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Feb' 1986 was good for persistent cold, only two days exceeded 0c here and the month's max' was 0.7c on the 24th, but it didn't have the heavy snowfall of Jan' and Feb 1979, having said that, there was 25-30cm of level snow lying for the whole month but with little addition after the first few days.

Agree with that, the sheer persistence of the cold was remarkable and yes there was deep snow throughout the month as in the cold enabled the initial heavy fall to remain in tact throughout the month.

LS, Feb 1991 was indeed a cracker as my wife whom I was dating back then lived in the Elephant and Castle and we still have the photos of the laying snow and large icicles hanging from the house roofs...great. I remember meeting her after she finished work in Victoria and we walked back to hers and crossing Westminster Bridge it was around when the easterly was just setting in. It was very raw crossing the river I can tell you but I love the excitement of the knowledge that a bitter easterly is about to 'assault' the UK.

BFTP

Posted

For me my memory of that exceptional cold 1987 spell was a shorter lived one to feb 1991 to me they were a similar spell somehow, except feb 1991 was a month later with not as potent cold air less wind still bitterly cold though.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119870106.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119870120.gif

As feb 1991 seemed to last longer which it did by 1 week.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119910125.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119910214.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

If we are giving any honourable mentions to winter months since Feb 1991, which for the majority seems to be recalled as the last truely winter month...

mention as some have said must be given to Dec 1995 which was for the northern half of the country the snowiest and coldest Dec since 1981, I'd put the period 24th- 31st Dec 1995 in my calendar season of a perfect winter, a week of sub zero weather, during the festive period can't be bettered really... However, for the southern half of the country Dec 1995 didn't deliver much in the way of snow or cold temps, but those in the north should rate this month highly.

Posted

December 1995 actually had the equal coldest night of the century at -27.2c the same as January 1982.

So it was very potent indeed in the north.

Posted

I recall that most southern areas were heavily hit by an easterly on 5-7 December 1995- it was not as long-lasting as the cold and snow from northerlies that most of Scotland, NE England and parts of W Britain experienced on 24-31 December, but it did mean that a large majority had at least some of the white stuff.

The problem with the 24-31 December period, if I remember rightly, is that the polar low that hit Scotland full in the face on Christmas Eve drifted out into the North Sea come Christmas Day, so most of England and Wales missed it altogether. It appears that the polar low did affect northern parts of NE England as well, as I recall a prolonged snow shower on Christmas Eve at Cleadon that deposited 3cm.

Further south there were snow showers in parts of Ireland, Wales and NW England on Christmas Eve which gave Lancaster a white Christmas. Some scattered snow showers dotted about on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but significant falls and accumulations were largely confined to north and east-facing coasts.

The similar late December 2000 spell, albeit shorter-lived, was rather more "productive" taking the country as a whole as the polar low tracked right across Britain- although unlike 1995, the main blast arrived just after Christmas and so only limited areas saw a real white Christmas.

Nonetheless I'm pretty certain that Christmas Day 1995 was, and remains, comfortably the most widespread white Christmas in terms of snow lying since 1981.