Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Aspartame killed my wife

Posted

One man's story: -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_rJ1jpr5c4Y

Worrying stuff tbh, and it shows that we cannot trust anything we can consume from retailers.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Some more info here, although a little biased:

http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.htmlHi PP.

Basically, phenylalanine is a protein, also found naturally in food.

Approx. 1 in 10'000 have an allergic reation to this, and in severe cases, can lead to death.

The EU has deemed Aspartame to be safe for human consumption, and there are maximum level allowances in food to avoid issues like this.

It is also required by law (at least EU) to be labelled as a source of phenylalanine.

Posted
Some more info here, although a little biased:

http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.htmlHi PP.

Basically, phenylalanine is a protein, also found naturally in food.

Approx. 1 in 10'000 have an allergic reation to this, and in severe cases, can lead to death.

The EU has deemed Aspartame to be safe for human consumption, and there are maximum level allowances in food to avoid issues like this.

It is also required by law (at least EU) to be labelled as a source of phenylalanine.

Its not about allergic reactions though.

These problems are basically what happens when such a protein is concentrated and isolated from synthesis with other compounds when it causes damage.

The main issue is that aspartame was created in a lab by Monsanto and it breaks down into toxins as well as methanol; it can do damage basically and not neccessarily in large amounts either. I would rather rot my teeth than consume that stuff.

Why don't they use natural sweeteners like Stevia (i.e. a plant)?

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Simply PP, price (but also functionality and sensory properties).

And, without going into things probably for legal reasons, not all natural sweeteners are as clean as they are made out to be.

Regarding safety, aspartame has probably been hit the most in recent years. However, testing has been done, and proven to be safe. I'm more than happy to let scientists give me the go ahead to eat something. Of course, things can change, but if there was any significant evidence pointing to it not being safe, it wouldnt be allowed in food or drink.

The problem with the media, is they take an isolated incident, and make it the norm. Sodium Cyclamate came under scrutiny...the result is its hardly used in the UK anymore.

Edited by ChrisL

Posted

My best pal is allergic to phenylalanine and comes out in hives. She's very cautious nowadays, reading ingredient small print in supermarkets etc., but fizzy drinks are most definitely out. Even lime cordial as in 'vodka, lime & soda' has it in it in most pubs - she has to have a three shot limit per evening. Awwww :)

Posted

Can certainly be a pain Shugs. One of my friends is allergic to shell fish, and has a nightmare on a meal out in oriental restaurants. Basically they carry a pack of anti-histamine with them all the time.

Posted

Yep, that's a nasty one. My niece is allergic to ginger - but loves curries!

I suppose the problem as PP alluded to, is in the more obscure tiny amounts of random chemicals rather than 'natural' food groups and types of food we all know and love (or hate). I'd pack it all in if I became allergic to my favourite veg - sprouts.

Posted

I know. Its all driven by price, and so many ingredients are synthesised. Funny thing is, Aspartame falls under an artificial sweetener category, along with saccherin and Acesulfam K. Trouble is, aspartame gets the bad press because of phenylalanine.

What is quite amazing, is the number of flavours that are used, but currently not classified as artifical. There is new legislation coming in where nature identical flavours, which is the most commonly used ingeredient of the four (FTNF, Natural, Nature identical and artificial), will soon not be allowed to come under the category 'no artifical flavours'. Although synthesised, the chemical formulation is exactly the same as those found in nature. But at the moment, these arent classified as artifical.

Posted

But what is bad about MSG? Its just got a bad reputation. Instead, we seem to be quite happily plodding along with I+G, sometimes also called di-sodium-5-Ribonucleotide. MSG, I+G and other flavour enhancers are used in so many dried foods, that without it, we wouldnt buy them.

An why is MSG used in snack foods? Partly because salt has also been deemed the chloride of the horned man himself, that snack seasonings need 'something' to boost the flavour back up.

So if we remove MSG, what can we use?

Salt - No.

I+G - It will come under the same scrutiny as MSG at some point

Other synthesised flavour enhancers - As above

Yeast - Allergen

Savoury Boosters - Typically classified as flavours, but arent always natural (and people are starting to deem flavours as bad in general)

Seriously....its easy enough to say "I'm not going to eat that", but trying to find a solution is not easy.

Preservatives, stabilisers etc can all be removed from foods, but by doing so, you remove a huge (and I mean huge) proportion of foods of the supermarket shelves, as they wont be stable etc

What would that mean...simply going back to what we used to do. Buy meat, fish, veg and dairy, and go from there. Could the UK do that? Realistically, no.

So the crux of the matter. Why are ingredients such as Aspartame and MSG used in foods? Because we, Joe public, have demanded it so.

And before its said, no, its not the retailers that have done this. The consumer has demanded x to be different, the retailers then get the manufacturers to develop something, and it goes from there. Ultimately, what Joe Public wants, Joe Public gets.

Posted

I can have Aspartame as it give me really bad Migraines. The only other thing that gives me Migraines are Barbeque beef hula hoops (used to be my favourite)

I have to read labels very carefully, even some ciders have artificial sweeteners in them B)

Posted

The most official justifications for the use of food ingredients can be found here:

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale...753812_home.htm

For aspartame FAQ:

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale...partameFAQs.htm

MSG looks potentially bad for you based on its sodium levels. So the same can be said for salt, but I cant see us cutting it out of diets.

FYI - EFSA is the leading European body for food legislation.

Posted
Why don't they use natural sweeteners like Stevia (i.e. a plant)?

Hi PP.

Funnily enough, i've just had this through, which hopefully answers your question on Stevia :mellow: :

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Publicatio...5vG0P56Tg%3D%3D

Basically, the FDA (US) and FSA (UK) havent approved its safety yet.

Edited by ChrisL

Posted

I have had approx 1 liter of diet coke everyday for the past 15 years approx, assuming that it has always had aspartame in it, it doesnt show any signs of having affected me. (Other than the twitches, the vision disturbance, the hot sweats when a hot lady walks in the room.) But seriously, I would have thought after 15 years I would showed some signs of something if it was so bad

I have had approx 1 liter of diet coke everyday for the past 15 years approx, assuming that it has always had aspartame in it, it doesnt show any signs of having affected me. (Other than the twitches, the vision disturbance, the hot sweats when a hot lady walks in the room.) But seriously, I would have thought after 15 years I would showed some signs of something if it was so bad

Yup if it's not done you any harm in 15 years I can't immagine it's going to in the future CC...............and as I did with aspirin you do start to notice patterns of adverse physical reactions to consuming foodstuffs/medications before it kills you(usually).

Edited by hannegan

Posted
Hi PP.

Funnily enough, i've just had this through, which hopefully answers your question on Stevia :80: :

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Publicatio...5vG0P56Tg%3D%3D

Basically, the FDA (US) and FSA (UK) havent approved its safety yet.

I don't trust these big organisations. At end of the day; they are in bed with big drug companies that have interests in ultimately keeping us dependent on medicine and suppressing alternative cures.

Posted

Thats fair enough PP. I'm sure your not the only one with that view as well :)

What I would point out though is that it is these organisations that vet the submissions, so theres no real way around it. Still, to be fair to them, they are pretty knowledgable :80:

Posted

I haven't taken any drugs or medication in 10 years; I don't eat processed food or any with artificial stuff.

I'm finding hard to trust any big authority in a position of knowledge and power these days when it comes to health. I go by tradition and long-standing knowledge that has not been monopolised or patented.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Thing is though PP, you dont actually always know what your eating.

There is EU legislation that states that ingredients used as processing aids do not need to be labelled on the finished product.

So what might seem like a basic food group, actually contains 1+ other ingredients in there.

Sneeky, eh :doh:

Posted
I'm finding hard to trust any big authority in a position of knowledge and power these days when it comes to health. I go by tradition and long-standing knowledge that has not been monopolised or patented.

Might this be something of an appeal to antiquity?

I must say I'm somewhat glad of medicine. Without it my dad would die in a matter of weeks.

Posted

Appeal to antiquity? It wasn't all that long ago that margerine was considered better for you than butter... Though even at the time they knew what "hydrogenated vegetable oil" was - a trans fat, and had more than a few significant clues that trans fats are very very bad for you.

Posted
Appeal to antiquity? It wasn't all that long ago that margerine was considered better for you than butter... Though even at the time they knew what "hydrogenated vegetable oil" was - a trans fat, and had more than a few significant clues that trans fats are very very bad for you.

Not better at all!

Posted

It's worth knowing that the sugar industry is massively concerned to put it out that sweeteners are unsafe. Sugar is huge business, and they don't like it one bit that there are some other products around that do the same job without the calories. So they are doing everything in their powers to bad-mouth the sweeteners. Just worth knowing about!

Posted

A very paradoxical view, with the link that Goatherd posted.

I mean, what do we hear these days. Example...

Chocolate is bad for you, increases cholesterol levels, now suddenly it's good for you (Swedish study I think?) Eh? A certain amount of cholesterol in your system actually is MORE beneficial. It's the free radicals and the bad types of cholesterol which do the damage.

Tea can be harmful to your heart. Now according to US scientists, three cups a day is good for the heart?

WHAT??

A total paradox. Face facts. I was speaking with a friend who I've known for over two decades and he agreed with me that what we're eating and drinking these days is pumped full of so much crap (preservatives et al for a longer 'shelf life') Take your rasher of bacon for example, brought from, er, Somerfield say. When you cook it, look and the milky white substance that ejects from it. That is salt water, who knows what else lies within it.

Salt = Bad, raises blood pressure.

Aspartame. Now that's a good one. I read one of David Icke's books recently and he says that 60% of the worlds population must be 'culled' in order for the 'New World Order' to exist. And not just Mr Icke, but look on YouTube (type in his name) and you will see what he, and others are saying and thinking.

Orwellian state? Oh yes! It's already begun.

Phil.