Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

Hi everyone have beena lurker on here for about the last 4 snow events so ummm about 3 years haha

here in catford/grove park we have 5 cms lying snow and it is still tipping down

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Paul S., some beefier echoes showing up on the 8.30 radar to the NE of you now. Hope you get a good dumping soon mate.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
Snowing here again and very windy so not settling evenly

I just wish tha tthe snow we are forecast tomorrow wasn't to turn back to sleet/rain here :D

Where abouts are you in Kent?

Posted
Eh ??

So what about 2005/2003/1996/1991/1987

We got clobbered from Similar Set-Ups and received nearly 5 times the amounts of other parts of the South East in this Set-Up

I must have a selective memory then. Kent always seems to get a pasting when we don't. I clearly remember 87 - Had to do my paper round in it! So what is the deal with a Thames streamer, I'm intruiged.

Posted

....checking in from Ewell Nr Epsom in N Surrey. Snow has been getting steadily heavier throughout the day and is now coming down thick and fast. 3-4 cm currently and settling on ALL surfaces from the word go. Eyebrow raising forecast on N24 - talking about 6in overnight, N Kent, Surrey, London, Hants - happy to be in a prime location. This is proper 80's snow like you get in the Alps. Hoping the trains are buggered in the AM then I can do an all day snow watch LOL! Keep the reports coming in guys. :D

Posted
Question: Does anybody remember the heavy falls in January/February 1991?

Yes and this event appears almost to be a carbon copy. London had 8 inches out of it. Eastern upslopes of the southern Pennines had 30-36 inches.

Great to see the Thames Snow Streamer actually working properly for once!

Posted
Paul S., some beefier echoes showing up on the 8.30 radar to the NE of you now. Hope you get a good dumping soon mate.

Regards,

Tom.

Tom

Have had Greens and Yellows (Meto) since 5pm but not had anything fall from the Sky, Am going of to Sulk (Like Worzel Gummidge) :D

OPh and the Kids officially Hate Me, and I held out until Saturday until Telling them knowing how many times they have been let down

:D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
Paul, I think the wind direction has changed a little more to the ENE again which is shunting the showers onto the southern side of the Thames, same sort of thing happened to the streamer I was watching coming in Dover. Thats maybe why things have dried up for your region?

Numerous showers now developing in the north sea heading into SE/EA.

About damn time! no go ne :D

Posted
Hi everyone have beena lurker on here for about the last 4 snow events so ummm about 3 years haha

here in catford/grove park we have 5 cms lying snow and it is still tipping down

Welcome to the forums :D . Always good to see lurkers becoming members - it's the best thing to do! :D

Posted
Question: Does anybody remember the heavy falls in January/February 1991?

Yes I was 3 months pregnant, had spent a few days in paris where temperature only reached minus 6 during the day and on way home flight delayed by start of snow...fortunately (!) BA lost our liggage so the mad dash back to Dartford mid Friday afternoon was made slightly easier...train kept slipping on tracks and I just kept thinking as long as we get at least to Woolwich I could walk home from there....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Right I am off to watch Lost for an hour - be back then to see whats happening for us all x

Posted
talking about 6in overnight
Yep and that wont have thawed when the prolonged spell of snow arrives tommorow afternoon/evening, just imagine how much that could dump on top of the 6 inches! :D

Posted

Well does look like there is a small lull east of the snow streamer but just east of that lull is another pretty big rash of showers that are coming in, probably related to the ever increasing forcing that should peak around 3am, indeed this forcing may well be enough to carry the showers well inland, but we shall have to wait and see!

Posted
I must have a selective memory then. Kent always seems to get a pasting when we don't. I clearly remember 87 - Had to do my paper round in it! So what is the deal with a Thames streamer, I'm intruiged.

In Short when the Winds are alligned from the ENE And the Cold Uppers are Cold enough (Ideally -12 or lower) the North Sea acts as a Big Snow Machine, the Showers usually mass just offshore and drift down the Estuary, when they get to London they lose a bit of Intensity, hence we get Mullered with the Stuff, areas further West still get heaps of Snow but not usually as much as us...................But NOT TODAY :D:D

Paul S

Posted
Yes I was 3 months pregnant, had spent a few days in paris where temperature only reached minus 6 during the day and on way home flight delayed by start of snow...fortunately (!) BA lost our liggage so the mad dash back to Dartford mid Friday afternoon was made slightly easier...train kept slipping on tracks and I just kept thinking as long as we get at least to Woolwich I could walk home from there....

Any body live on sheppey they usually take a beating with this type of set up??

Posted

Regards,

Tom.

i'm in the middle of them showers and either they are going around my house , its just not doing anything, or the flakes are that small it can't be spotted in lamp post :D

Posted

Nothing here for a good few hours now although we do still have around an inch on the ground. Radar has had me under Greens and Yellows but nothing has been falling, thick cloud illuminated by the street lights but no further snow. :D

20:30 Radar shows some brighter echoes to my east now so i will wait and see if they bring me anymore! Come on snow!!

M25 Certainly looks interesting, Grit anyone?? :D:D

Matt: :D

Posted
Tom

Have had Greens and Yellows (Meto) since 5pm but not had anything fall from the Sky, Am going of to Sulk (Like Worzel Gummidge) :D

OPh and the Kids officially Hate Me, and I held out until Saturday until Telling them knowing how many times they have been let down

:D

Paul, I have to admit, I am gutted for you and the kids. But I honestly believe you will all be very pleasantly suprised tomorrow morning! Those showers are starting to pack in from the North Sea right now, and we are only a few hours into this snow event.