Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Very British Storm Junkie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Hi Stu

What a fantastic programme you are doing exactly what i would love to do and you have strengthened my resolve to fulfil my ambition one day.Every year i give serious thought to going with Paul Sherman chasing Tornado's but family holiday comittments tend to take presidence over the holiday days i have available but the kids are growing up now so one day soon.Hope you stay on the forum i feel sure a lot could be learn't from your input :D

All the best

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!
Shameless plug :D

A Very British Storm Junkie Thursday 12 February

9:00pm - 10:00pm

Channel 4

Documentary about Stuart Robinson's unusual hobby. By day, Stuart is an IT consultant but in his spare time he is a fanatical storm chaser, traveling the globe to witness the awesome power of nature first hand.

VIDEO Plus+: 4473

Subtitled

This is mainly Hurricane / Typhoon stuff that I have seen- but there is a bit of Tornado interest (USA) in there.

I loved it! Best programme I've seen for ages!! The tornado chase in it was awesome, you're a very lucky guy...and getting in the eye of Gustave - amazing stuff!!!

Posted
I have 3 Kids :D

I just want to know wether Alison threatened Stu with Divorce :D

That footage was Wakeeney as I was about 1 Mile ahead on the same road, pretty scary stuff as Nick and Ian will testify.

Great Documentary though Well Done

Paul S

LOL Paul, I can only imagine the grief you must get...

... and how difficult it must be to leave the family for a long time.

Combine that with how far you have had to travel every evening to find some snow in the last two weeks.....your missus must be pretty peed off!!!!

Steve M

Posted

Stu, Compelling viewing and had me laughing right the way through.

Just wondering if you have plans to chase anymore storms or has the missus well and grounded you? Would love to see a follow up to this.

Posted
storm wag

:crazy:

got to see a great program mate well don't loved every minute of it.

I do have to admit shouting at the tv when you was asking to stay on for Hanna, I was trying to tell you that It wasn't going to be that bad :lol:

try and stop you getting into bother

Posted

A very interesting documentry Stu, loved it, please do more!

Does anyone else agree with me that a weekly/monthly weather programme should be produced for the UK?

Anyone interested in such an idea?

Posted

Stu

I see you lurking - So DID Alison Threaten you with Divorce :doh:

I know Louise has threatened me many times, Also dont have kids mate it makes it even harder to get yourself away, god knows how I went to the Plains for 5 weeks last year and this year as well.

Paul S

**BTW I need a favour Stu, I need that Tornado Tool you sent me sending again (The one with all the Charts) lost my Laptop to a freak accident recently and need to load all the Tornado Stuff on again, If you could Pm me it over on Ukww would be much appreciated **

Posted

Sounds like a great watch, anyone know when this will be repeated?

Posted

A really well done show and I'd go as far as to say its one of the best weather shows I've seen, glad that Hanna ended up getting sheared to death and you didn't miss the storm, I remember the day you called your wife up, she really did blow up that day but only breifly probably ironically in response to shear I suspect.

Can't wait to be able to do that, would love to go hurricane chasing one day, that would be the ultimate for me.

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

An interesting programme for sure, but not sure it showed 'weather junkies' in a very good light. At the start of the programme when you arrived in Taiwan and you were jumping around in a somewhat demented manner with your Danish friend, I was just thinking there is the possible risk for major loss of life here and these two are just after a personal adrenaline rush. The scenes of the hail storm in the US Tornado were very dramatic, but I think the whole programme painted a rather sad picture, sorry.

Posted
Stu, Compelling viewing and had me laughing right the way through.

Just wondering if you have plans to chase anymore storms or has the missus well and grounded you? Would love to see a follow up to this.

Stu was back out to intercept 'Ike' a week later! <_<

Posted
An interesting programme for sure, but not sure it showed 'weather junkies' in a very good light. At the start of the programme when you arrived in Taiwan and you were jumping around in a somewhat demented manner with your Danish friend, I was just thinking there is the possible risk for major loss of life here and these two are just after a personal adrenaline rush. The scenes of the hail storm in the US Tornado were very dramatic, but I think the whole programme painted a rather sad picture, sorry.

no disrespect meant..........I completely disagree

I thought it was a true repretation of someone who is Obsessed with this fasination of Storms...

When I see a Tornadoe Im going to run around :D with joy....A fantastic Obsession beats almost anything else....no harm to anyone...

Infact its a fast growing hobbie now..........Every year since I was 5 I have waited for the Summer months to see the thrill of Storms..

I say good on you Stu.

do more mate of the stuff..

If it wasnt for Storm chasers there would be alot more people dying through storms

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I am just wading through the 100 odd emails that I have got over night – I plan to respond to each and every one of them this morning – what a job!!

As I mentioned before this production exposes the cross over between family life and Storm chasing - something that we can all relate too with other psssions in life - ie golf etc.!

Interesting all the female email take Alison's side - while all the blokes take mine.

According to the Independent review - we are the new "Gavin and Stacy" :D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Whats with the strange facial expressions? , is he pretending to be Sylvester Stallone :D:D Interesting video though :)

Posted

I enjoyed following the programme when it focussed on the storms (stunning stuff with driving through the tornado-warned storm :D !), but I think there was too much focus on the home life. I'm a weather fan, wanting to see tornadoes/hurricanes et al, not wanting to see a documentary about a couple's relationship issues!

Also, and I realise this isn't Stu's fault but the programme editor's, great to see how you experienced the eye of the hurricane* but what a shame to not see the wind/rain restart after the eye had passed.

*Well done for achieving your goal.

Posted

I enjoyed the film and thought the way it focused on the relationship was interesting . it shows another side to "wahey, dudes, let's stormchase" and was a genuinely good documentary which are sadly few and far between these days. Well done.

Also, and I realise this isn't Stu's fault but the programme editor's, great to see how you experienced the eye of the hurricane* but what a shame to not see the wind/rain restart after the eye had passed.

i thought this too. That's editing for you .

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

I watched it today on 4catchup online and really enjoyed it, gave a great insight to what storm chasing is all about and the family problems that come with it, and stu you were hilarious throughout B)

For anyone wanting to see it again or for those who missed it, heres the link for 4 catchup.

A very british storm junkie

Tom

jumping around in a somewhat demented manner with your Danish friend

Danish? B) Sounded american to me :)

Edited by tom_f123

Posted

Bloody ell!!! missed it... any re-runs??

Soz dont worry just seen the above quote... doh

Edited by nanu

Posted

i just wish i had his money and a job where you can just get on a plane and rush off at the drop of a hat.. Made us look er a bit mad. typical i have spent ages telling people im very normal really :) :lol:

Good show glad you explained about the loss of life ect. Very dramatic film.

have fun keep safe oh and love to your poor wife, well could be worse she could be a golf widow :)

kaz x