Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest Winter In Uk For 13 Years

Mondy

Posted

Ahh, I do love the use of the word 'May', like so many articles, 'may have', 'if this or that', 'possibly could' etc etc.

Still think they are wrong, only time will tell.

Indeed, no surprises really, like this article, there is always an excuse, last year it was La Ninas fault.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?2...p;in_page_id=34

Quite what anyone expected this gentleman to say, other than global warming prevented it being colder I don't know. A bit like expecting Gordon Brown to endorse all of the conservative party's policies!

Edited by ribster

Posted

From the above article link:

Dr Peter Stott of the Met Office said: "Human influence, particularly emission of greenhouse gases, has greatly increased the chance of having such warm years.

"Comparing observations with the expected response to man-made and natural drivers of climate change it is shown that global temperature is now over 0.7 0C warmer than if humans were not altering the climate."

The underlying warming of the climate is accompanied by fluctuating temperatures from year to year because of natural variations.

But without human-induced global warming we would be 50 times less likely to see a year as warm as this year, Dr Stott said.

Ahh, Mr Stott again! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/...nce/scientists/

And he's paid by us to spout off like that? A climate scientist no less:

Look at his for a quote to put the shivers up you:

Dr Peter Stott, Manager of Understanding and Attributing Climate Change at the Met Office and one of the authors, said: “This is a remarkable anthropogenic signal. Sharp spikes in warming have been recorded in regions across the world, but because we in the UK hold this unique temperature record stretching back nearly 350 years we are able to say that background climate noise can’t reasonably be held responsible for what’s happening in Central England. This is the first time anywhere in the world that climate scientists have been able to look at a small geographical area, identify significant warming and say humans have very likely played a part.”

http://www.climateclinic.org.uk/news_archive.html

Good old CET paves the way..a tiny part of the globe next to the Atlantic Ocean..

Get this though on further reading:

Dr Stott released his findings at the first ever Climate Clinic being held at the Liberal Democrat conference in Brighton. Organised by the UK’s leading green organisations and supported by business and the Energy Saving Trust, the Climate Clinic is taking place at each of the main party political conferences this year.

G'nght

Posted
I think the Meto maybe were unwise to say the Winter may have been colder without recent Global warming.

We will never know for sure that with better Height rises over the Arctic whether we could have had a much colder Winter than we did.

What i am suggesting is that the sypnotics were not the best for cold and it was in spite of rather than because of this that we had a number of cold spells.

I accept that there has been some warming over the last 20years or so and we havent had the severity,frequency and length of cold spells in recent Winters so i don`t believe that the Meto`s contention of recent warming is unfounded just perhaps the link they made in this statement is on shakey ground.

Yes they have used the global warming argument but as you state the synoptics did deliver the best they really could have done for a change which is quite notable, we were on the right side of marginal and in polar air when we had the marginal mild/cold synoptics -in recent years we have just been on the wrong side so to speak in terms of getting the colder wintry conditions. Blocking to the north at no stage occured this year and I too think if it had then yes a colder winter certainly would have been recorded - this winter was nothin to do with global warming effects, had we seen a 1 degree CET above what we did under such synoptics then yes perhaps global warming could have been used,...

As for getting any proper cold winters ever again, well many other parts of the world in recent years have seen some very cold winters, China last year, much and much of Aerica, I think New Zealand has recently had a very cold winter - last year, 2006 brought very cold weather to eastern europe and western russia, our time will come we just have to be patient!

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
You mention emailing the Beeb to complain? Bit pointless surely?

Surely no more pointless than railing at them on here?

As for this: "Ahh, Mr Stott again!...........And he's paid by us to spout off like that?" ,

I think you'll find that the Met Office runs an operating profit - £13m in 2008, in fact - as I pointed out in the Scottish Met Office thread. So don't worry yourself, you're not paying him to do anything (at least not directly out of your taxes).

Posted
I think you'll find that the Met Office runs an operating profit - £13m in 2008, in fact - as I pointed out in the Scottish Met Office thread. So don't worry yourself, you're not paying him to do anything (at least not directly out of your taxes).

Yes but it received £63m in funding from the MoD (note 3 of the accounts, page 56).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/publications/a...ort/ARA0708.pdf

Edited by Nick H

Posted

this is the title of the thread

Coldest Winter In Uk For 13 Years

can some of you stick to it please and not bring the climate thread into it.

Posted
Had to laugh when I read this! So what do you base your well articulated argument on? A scientist say's so, so it must be true?

Isn’t it scientists that came up with the theory of natural cycles as well. Seems to me that what the AGW argument is about is which bit of scientific theory you want to believe. Common sense would seem to suggest that what might be occurring is a combination of a natural cycle and mans input but that idea does not suit the for or against camps on the forum.

On the subject to hand its been a good winter especially compared to recent ones but not special, seeing as the winters of late have been so poor it has not taken much for it to be the coldest winter in 13 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
actually his surname is Stott not Scott

Yes John. It would help if people actually read the thing! :lol:

AGW is just a claim in that case! Natural cycles have, will, and continue to drive our climate. This can be shown when we have low solar activity, and numerous other natural variabilties. Where as AGW is a theory!

Ah, but can it 'be shown' as you claim? Before humans appeared on the scene, (And discounting the photosynthesizers that replaced a carbon-rich atmosphere with a highly-oygenated one!), your premise is true...Of course, your conclusion is merely speculation and extrapolation...Much like what niggles you most about AGW theory? :D

Edited by Pete Tattum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes quite, that ice age we had due to solar cycles was quite a beefy one I'll give you that, that'll teach me to go out in a t-shirt next time!

Posted
Yes John. It would help if people actually read the thing! :D

Ah, but can it 'be shown' as you claim? Before humans appeared on the scene, (And discounting the photosynthesizers that replaced a carbon-rich atmosphere with a highly-oygenated one!), your premise is true...Of course, your conclusion is merely speculation and extrapolation...Much like what niggles you most about AGW theory? :)

Don't think John will approve of us trashing this thread ( you know how grumpy he can be sometimes ). Only joking JH! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Yes quite, that ice age we had due to solar cycles was quite a beefy one I'll give you that, that'll teach me to go out in a t-shirt next time!

To be a pedant, ice ages are nothing to do with solar cycles, they are caused by Earth wobbling on its axis, thus causing it to be tilted further away from the radiation source and thus colder.

To D (whatever he's called): Try and find a different avator, the Lockerbie plane crash killed hundreds, and I think it's in really poor taste.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
To be a pedant, ice ages are nothing to do with solar cycles, they are caused by Earth wobbling on its axis, thus causing it to be tilted further away from the radiation source and thus colder.

To D (whatever he's called): Try and find a different avator, the Lockerbie plane crash killed hundreds, and I think it's in really poor taste.

Indeed, I agree, it was sarcasm on my part :whistling:

Posted

Thats not the lockerbie plane

Posted
I think New Zealand has recently had a very cold winter

No it didn't. It was wet though.

The national average temperature of 8.5 °C was 0.2 °C above average for winter