Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Chat

MAF

Posted

Rather disapppointing today compared to recent days,with cloudy skies

and a cool breeze. The temp is only 8c

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Yesterday was indeed a lovely day - perfect spring weather!

Today is far from perfect - sheet grey skies temp 9.8c (barely moved since this morning) with a steady nippy breeze. Very boring and not at all pleasent.

Doesn't seem to be burning off as easterly breeze is too strong. It's always a fine line between fresh breezes & pleasent sunshine and slate grey skies with no 'weather' at all. Too unreliable and the 'good' weather you *can* get from this setup isn't good enough to counteract the 'bad' weather you more often than not get in these conditions. If it were 75% sunshine : 25% grey then ok - but it's more like 75% grey : 25% sunshine in my area at least.

Aaah, you see for me that is good as well. I love 'nippy' breezes and north sea cloud sheets. Great for walking in, shopping, and getting things done outdoors, including gardening etc which I enjoy a lot. That benefit grows further in the summer as the afternoon sun can be too hot for doing those things so a grey start is ideal because along with the breeze it provides that window of opportunity for getting out and about before it becomes too warm to do so when the cloud sheet burns off.

When the sun does come out that lovely brisk easterly breeze still manages to take the edge off any heat though :)

Many other benefits (for me) of the wind being in the 'right direction' :)

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

On my way to work at 6am this morning it was clear and looked like being a sunny start. By 8am however, cloud and mist had rolled in from the North Sea.

Its rather cold too, with a temperature of 7.2C. A massive change from yesterday's max of 14.9C.

The mist and low cloud is visible on the MetOffice Satellite picture:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/images...00904021200.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Aaah, you see for me that is good as well. I love 'nippy' breezes and north sea cloud sheets. Great for walking in, shopping, and getting things done outdoors, including gardening etc which I enjoy a lot. That benefit grows further in the summer as the afternoon sun can be too hot for doing those things so a grey start is ideal because along with the breeze it provides that window of opportunity for getting out and about before it becomes too warm to do so when the cloud sheet burns off.

When the sun does come out that lovely brisk easterly breeze still manages to take the edge off any heat though :)

Many other benefits (for me) of the wind being in the 'right direction' :)

Alas our lifestyles differ somewhat... for me a grey sheet is dull as dishwater. Sure, ok for doing stuff without getting too hot (but then again I take the heat without complaint) but useless for sitting outside in as it's too cold. Happened at planned bbq's before - very quickly everyone is back inside as soon as it gets that bit nippy. That's no good in summer- you wanna be outside as you spend 9 months of the year with it too chilly to enjoy outdoor parties!

Also I need evenings to be warmer as I only get 2 days a week to enjoy daytimes. Assuming said cloud does burn off (not a chance today) it'll cool fast come 6 or 7pm - just when I'm getting home from work!

Anyway I doubt we'll ever convince each other on this one - but hey it's a laugh trying! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A cloudy start has turned into a sunny day with current temperatures of 15.8C

Posted

Time 16:35 Greece time

Air temperature : 24,5 C

Humidity : 38 %

Wind : NE 16 km/h

Pressure rel : 1014,9 hpa steady

Dew point : 9,2 C

clouds : 1/8 cumulus

Daily rain : 0,0 mm

Rain month : 0,0 mm

Rain year 2009 : 192,6 mm

Min Air Temperature today : 25,8 C

Max Air Temperature today : 16,1 C

Greek weather stations top 100

http://greece.gotop100.com/

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Alas our lifestyles differ somewhat... for me a grey sheet is dull as dishwater. Sure, ok for doing stuff without getting too hot (but then again I take the heat without complaint) but useless for sitting outside in as it's too cold. Happened at planned bbq's before - very quickly everyone is back inside as soon as it gets that bit nippy. That's no good in summer- you wanna be outside as you spend 9 months of the year with it too chilly to enjoy outdoor parties!

Also I need evenings to be warmer as I only get 2 days a week to enjoy daytimes. Assuming said cloud does burn off (not a chance today) it'll cool fast come 6 or 7pm - just when I'm getting home from work!

Anyway I doubt we'll ever convince each other on this one - but hey it's a laugh trying! :)

Warm balmy summer evenings are lovely - I love relaxing outside too in summer - bbq's, drinking wine etc. The chimnea on my patio tends to get lit if people get chilly. I love the cold, but ironically I get cold quite easily too so I usually have a good supply of extra layers handy anyway, whatever the weather :)

There are few people, however 'polar' in taste they maybe (such as me) who don't still appreciate the joys of warm sunny weather. As long as it doesn't get too hot then fine :)

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Clear, sunny and breezy from the ESE now with the temperature rising at 13.7c and humidity at 66%. The morning was dull and cool, with the sun breaking through from around midday.

EDIT - Just noticed that the half moon is visible pretty high overhead too :) .

Little or no chance of the sun burning off the cloud today in many parts of central UK. A forecast that was way way off by the met office and BBC transmission forecasts, not their fault though completely as they were unsure.

I'm sure I saw a BBC forecast earlier in the week that suggested Thursday in some places would remain dull and cool, in fact it was commented on in the forum somewhere, then they changed it to being sunny & warm when the earlier prediction was correct.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Wall to wall sunshine here all day today so far, can see the low cloud to my East however at least for now, its staying around the coast and should not spoil the afternoon sunshine. Fresh Easterly breeze making it feeling cooler than it looks.

Castlebay Isle Of Barra

Outdoor temp 12c

Outdoor humidity 64%

Pressure 1019mb

Wind direction South

Wind speed 17mph

Gust 26mph

Cloud Height 2750ft

Wet Bulb 6c

Rain in last 24hours 0.0mm

Total rainfall This Month 0.0mm

Dew Point 6c

Wind Chill 5c

Weather Clear dry sunny bright

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Still cloudy here but I note burn off is taking place around much of the UK. As ever - the midlands, and north east England are last with burn off being almost sunset or not at all!

10.5c our max today - very different to yesterdays almost 17c!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgi...TIME=1238682907

The warm spell has been very disappointing indeed only 11C for me today colder further north and east with a chilly easterly breeze and lots of cloud cover, easterlies are just no good in spring, surprised nobody picked up todays easterly, 850`s as ever mean nothing this time of year in easterlies as the north sea is still cold.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn062.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn061.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, GFS overdid the temperatures for this spell somewhat- I certainly wasn't expecting SW England getting only to 12-14C in sunshine, which is barely above the long-term average of around 11-12C for early April.

Neil Bradshaw's pic of South Shields looks distinctly gloomy with North Sea stratus and a temperature of only 7.1C- compared with the early April normal of 10C!

As I say, Tamara should try living on the north-east coast of England- then her views on North Sea coastal cloud might change. For example in summer it quite often happens that we get an easterly or south-easterly bringing warm humid air in from the continent, most of the country gets sunshine, scattered thundery downpours and highs of 25-30C, while South Shields "escapes" with dry weather, constant cloud cover and a stagnant temperature of 16C by day and night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Only 12.7C but at least its sunny this afternoon! :)

.....and out of the steady NE breeze it still feels very nice.

Posted

Well what a difference a day makes! It was beautiful here yesterday with wall to wall sunshine with a temperature around 15oC. Today has been really miserable with low cloud, drizzle and a very cold wind. I was hoping for an improvement this afternoon but the low cloud and drizzle has remained. Really hope this doesn't continue.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

The sheet of Stratus has persisted today, holding down the temperature to 10c, perfect for mowing the lawns, kept away the fly’s :) Anyway a clearance has just shown up in the SW sky and appears to be spreading this way, despite the NE wind. So a pleasant end to the day looks likely for these parts.

Paul

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

currently 19c and wall to wALL SUNSHINE.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well what a disappointing day. A promise of sunny weather disappeared during the morning leaving a cool grey afternoon. Max temp 9.8C this morning now 8.8C.

Posted

And THAT picture sums up exactly why I don't like easterly drifts in settled weather - especially north of east drifts. By 5pm that cloud has almost burnt off many parts of UK but midlands & NE England remain stuck under this featureless grey sheet.

In actual fact it has finally begun to break up with a tiny bit of sunshine coming through. But too little too late - temps will not rise and the clearing skies will simply let temps fall lower before more cloud rolls back in overnight. Perhaps we'll be luckier tomorrow - hope so, it'd be nice to have a sunny end to the week and enjoy sitting outside the pub after work. You couldn't sit out today that's for sure.

Posted

one has only to look at the comments about todays' weather over England to get a very good picture of what happens when light winds come off the N Sea, at almost any time of the year. That is so long as dewpoints are high enough over the sea for low cloud/mist or even fog to form over it. The satellite piccs, even yesterday showed it forming. Most forecasters, me included, for my Doncaster area, fell for it yet again, including the Met Office. Time after time we do this, and never seem to learn. If I had a fiver for every forecast I've seen go wrong because of similar situations to today or from old fronts that keep moisture beneath an inversion and return west, I might not be a rich man but I'd sure be better off than I am now.

Hopefully, looking at all the data, then the flow SHOULD veer slightly at lower levels over the next 12-18 hours. This will give more areas a land flow during tomorrow but even then some areas, will still be slow to join in with the sunshine enjoyed by many today in the west.

the phrase, 'when winds in east, no good for man nor beast' is very pertinent to this type of weather, although the saying is more about the cold winter winds off the North Sea.

Yep, those who profess to enjoying this type I suggest you spend a year or two in the areas usually affected and I'm sure you might just change your mind a little!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

The day started of with wall to wall sunshine without a cloud in the sky, temps rose to 14.9c which felt very pleasent then cloud started to roll in around 4pm, now cloudy without any-chance of sunshine and temps dropped under the cloud cover, 8.c at present which doesnt feel too bad as there isnt a breeze. Fortuantley leeds was just a bit further NW to miss the cloud for much of the day, literally on the edge.