Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Chat

MAF

Posted

Sunny and warm with just a few clouds about and a slight breeze... very nice weather for standing watching your son keep a clean sheet in his school footie match!

Current temperature 21.0ºc

Humidity 48%

Pressure 1018.6hPa

Average windspeed 0.7mph

Maximum gust speed 2.2mph

Rainfall last 24 hours 0.0mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
one has only to look at the comments about todays' weather over England to get a very good picture of what happens when light winds come off the N Sea, at almost any time of the year. That is so long as dewpoints are high enough over the sea for low cloud/mist or even fog to form over it. The satellite piccs, even yesterday showed it forming. Most forecasters, me included, for my Doncaster area, fell for it yet again, including the Met Office. Time after time we do this, and never seem to learn.

And I was one of them. I looked at the synoptics for today, saw only a very sluggish easterly element to the flow, and predicted sunshine for eastern England, as I often (wrongly) look only for pronounced easterly flows when evaluating whether much of eastern England will be plagued by cloud.

Interestingly, as is clearly shown on the satellite, the cloud over Tyne & Wear is confined to the coastal strip, where it is taking the form of fog, as opposed to the higher level cloud further south (I'm guessing that will be because the easterly flow is a bit stronger further south).

The point about dewpoints is very important, and one that, in truth, I haven't previously paid enough attention to. I've often wondered why certain easterly flows seem to produce little in the way of cloud- it must be because they are dry and contain reasonably low dewpoints.

However, tomorrow we should lose that easterly flow giving more in the way of sunshine (away from the west where cloud is set to thicken).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

NW midlands usual north sea misty low cloud just cleared half hour ago, stafford very prone to it, only 13.6C max today, will roll back in tonight hope no drizzle in morning

Posted

Lovely sunny day after mid morning with wall to wall sunshine. I must say we have been pretty lucky here in this spell with warm temps and plenty of sunshine, although not always wall to wall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Today's weather

Pressure1019.6hpa

Current Temp 14.9c

Highest Temp 20.0c

Lowest Temp 5.5c

Humidity 66%

Dewpoint 8.7c

Windchill 14.9c

Windspeed 0.0mph

Wind direction S

Rain Total 0.0mm

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Interesting reading about why these easterly flows do create cloud in some situations not others. I think it's worth looking at more closely in the future as it seems to be the hardest weather to predict - and one of the biggest and often unexpected spoilers to predicted nice weather.

The difference to yesterday is very marked - this time yesterday I was outside the pub in a t-shirt (admittedly I got nippy after a while!) having walked around in some lovely evening sunshine after a max just shy of 17c. There were loads of people out & about enjoying the outdoors & we got to have lots of air into the office and I needed no heating at home.

Today we reached 10.9c, there are very few people around outside, my heating is burning away right now and that wind is a pain in the backside to cycle against - especially uphill!

Synoptically things are very similar to yesterday but conditions are very different. Perhaps in these sorts of spells we need to examine the data more closely?

Might make a new thread in this vain!

Posted

19:00

Sunny

0/8 Cloud

Calm

1019 hPa F

13.9 degC. (after high this afternoon of 18degC.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

After a bit of a grey start, what a cracking day it turned out to be! Unbroken sunshine this afternoon and temps creeped up to 16C a few hours ago. Perfect!

Posted

Yesterday made 14c,today gave more cloud and an east wind,which give way to a sunny afternoon but partly cloudy,then wall/wall hazy sun since 13.6c max.

Posted

Today's maximum was 15.8c, the same as yesterday.

A hazy, misty sunset and temperature falling at 11.2c under clear sky. The half moon is going to look lovely :) .

Posted

Cold today with a maximum temperature of just 8.2C.

It is now 5.9C and still overcast and misty with light drizzle, just as it has been since 7am onwards.

A massive difference to yesterday which saw clear skies, warm sunshine and a max temp of 14.9C. A major annoyance tonight for me will be the fog horns going all night, one of the negatives of living next to water!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Sunny intervals during mid-morning and until around 1300 b.s.t but before and after that it was cloudy. The afternoon was particularly dull and even misty by late afternoon, consequently it was almost 5c cooler than yesterday.

At 1800 g.m.t;

Temp', 6.9c

Max' today, 9.4c

Min' last night, 5.8c

Grass min', 1.1c

Rainfall from 0900-1800, nil

Sunshine today, 0.96 hrs

Mean wind speed, 8 mph E

Highest gust today, 22 mph NE at 0905

7 oktas stratus.

Vis', 2 miles.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A beautiful spring day today with mostly clear skies.

Max temp 13.5c,currently clear and calm,current temp 9.9c

Posted

Drove to Glasgow down the A9 today starting about 4.30am. According to the car thermometer it was about 0c all the way to Perth. On the return journey as we left Glasgow about 2.00pm the temperature was about 17c and there were blue skies and sunshine all the way home, a day of complete contrasts. My contractor finished sowing the spring barley today into ideal soil conditions with dust flying up behind the sower so another cycle has started.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Clear with a slight frost last night.

Lovely today- rather warm with long sunny periods, light to moderate SE breeze.

Min: -1.1c @ 0700

Max: 16.3c @ 1400

Rain yesterday/today: Nil

Currently: Clear and calm.

Temp: 7.1c

Pressure: 1019mbar, falling slowly.

Castlebay Isle Of Barra

Outdoor temp 8c

Outdoor humidity 70%

Pressure 1017mb

Wind direction South

Wind speed 12mph

Cloud Height 2141ft

Wet Bulb 6.4c

Rain in last 24hours 0.0mm

Total rainfall This Month 0.0mm

Dew Point 3.4c

Wind Chill 3c

Weather Partly cloudy dry dark

Over The Last 24hours averages and extra details,

Temperature rose 4c

Pressure rose 1.8mb

Humidity dropped 10%

Average wind speed 18mph

Dewpoint rose 1.8c

Average wind direction South

Moon age 7 days 49%

Sunrise and Sunset 6:58am - 8:11pm

Moonrise and Moonset 10:39am - 4:10am

Posted

Stunning spring day wall to wall sunshine from dawn till dusk clear blue skies little wind and temps hitting the mid teens couldn't ask for much better for early April, just a pity had to spend most of it at work. Looking forward to many more such days, it had a May- early June feel about it.

Must add now having read most of todays posts how best placed we have been here in Cumbria, I noted that Carlisle and Keswick saw maxes of 17 degrees compared to the 7-9 degree maxes that plagued the North Sea Coast.

Cumbria does exceptionally well under such synoptics we have seen today, in fact I would say that in terms of seeing high maxima compared to the rest of England it can't get any better synoptically - us Cumbrians like to see a slight easterly wind and anticyclonic conditions above it usually does us great favours especially during Spring- Summer, pity the normal direction of wind is from a SW-NW quarter. Spring is notorious for such differences between temps in Cumbria and NE England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Fantastic day, a cloudy start but the cloud broke quite early here compared to other local places, and left a warm, sunny day. A impressive maximum temperature of 17.8C at 4.30pm