Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

16-04-09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

THURSDAY 16TH APRIL 2009: Summery Skies and Convection

After a disappointingly cloudy day on Wednesday that ended with the warmest part of the day at 6pm, Thursday saw the disappearance of the thick haze that had plagued us the day before and allowed for some wonderful congestus cloudscapes to be seen. The temperature climbed to 18.7C in the sunshine and storms built ahead of a cold front to the north.

11.55am - the first signs of lower level muck clearing away and towers going up to the northwest:

041601.jpg

041602.jpg

041609.jpg

15.00pm - the towers had matured and began giving downpours over South Wales. Unfortunately, other building clouds in front of them blocked out the view from time to time:

041610.jpg

15.30pm - clear view of the storms over Wales:

041613.jpg

041615.jpg

041617.jpg

Thanks for watching. :)

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Wow

Wish we could get those clouds to develop around here [ wish ful thinking} I had forgotten what a Cb cloud looked like

nice pics thanks for sharing

nigel

Posted

Great photos there, I really like how clear the cloud textures are. :)

Always good to see photos taken in the UK, there are so few quality photographs of convective activity over here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yes, very nicely captured....A sign of things to come this summer I hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Awesome pictures there Michael Prys-Roberts. Love the last shot mate. I'd most certainly have jumped in my wagon and gone chasing that one! :rolleyes:

Lets hope this a just a taster............this weekend is looking promising. :clap:

Seasons

Posted

Great pics, good too see the convective pics are betters, heres hoping we see loads more as the summer progresses.

Wow

Wish we could get those clouds to develop around here [ wish ful thinking} I had forgotten what a Cb cloud looked like

nice pics thanks for sharing

nigel

We do, sadly as soon as they reach here they die with a wimper. Although some do survive and we get the occasional thundry shower.

Posted

Thanks for all your comments peeps. Hope to have plenty more of convective opportunities over the coming weeks! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Great pics Michael, the clarity of the shots is impressive. Here's hoping for a thundery summer with plenty more photo opportunities!

Posted

Thanks Jon Gill and Somerset Squall! I agree with high hopes of a thundery summer <_< .