Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

The storm that NL mentions passed though here giving heavy rain and I saw 3 flashes of lightning-thats 2 storms in 5 days most unusual for us around here and tomorrow looks promising-just hope it waits until I am off the golf course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Those are fantasic photos NL! :doh: never seen anything like it in this country!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow
Picturesque structure on the storm that passed through Tyne & Wear about an hour ago.

It was like that here too, but by the time I found my camera it had subsided and I was sitting in the middle of it :doh: Glad someone else managed to capture it!

The storm that NL mentions passed though here giving heavy rain and I saw 3 flashes of lightning-thats 2 storms in 5 days most unusual for us around here and tomorrow looks promising-just hope it waits until I am off the golf course.

That's funny, I've had 4 storms in the past 5 days and if you count Wednesday as 4 seperate ones its 7! Yesterday there was only 1 rumble though.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Stormforce at Great Harwood, My nearest place is Chipping. Nearest fell is Parlick Pike. Your inlaws may know the area. Sorry about the typos earlier.

I'm going to try to upload some pics so you can see how awful the stormcloud looked from over here.

Haven't heard thunder for several minutes but we've lost the blue sky here now and rain just started.

Posted
Picturesque structure on the storm that passed through Tyne & Wear about an hour ago.

see what you mean i goolged it!!!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Is that a shelf cloud that NL snapped? :o

Yep, gust front cloud formation, fairly common - even in the UK.

Posted

Looks like the lightning from this cloudburst may have done some damage as I nipped to the shop just now and there's a number of fire engines knocking around with their lights on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well you learn something new everyday :o

Posted
It was like that here too, but by the time I found my camera it had subsided and I was sitting in the middle of it :o Glad someone else managed to capture it!

That's funny, I've had 4 storms in the past 5 days and if you count Wednesday as 4 seperate ones its 7! Yesterday there was only 1 rumble though.

Just shows how localised these events can be-I don't suppose we are more than 7 miles apart,yesterday we certainly had a deluge at around 5-30 but I heard no thunder whatsoever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Well you learn something new everyday :o

I'm glad that a more experienced member was unaware of that! :o

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Just shows how localised these events can be-I don't suppose we are more than 7 miles apart,yesterday we certainly had a deluge at around 5-30 but I heard no thunder whatsoever.

Evening Rollo

We never had any thunder here, but i went out , i was virtually on the back end of a storm going up the coast, i went the A19 then the A189 to Blyth, there was alot of surface water on the A189 ,

Never got any shots of any lightning, but heard the thunder

im back home now,

Posted

Wow, very nice!

Has been a while since I've seen a gust front as good as that.

Posted

Well, Estofex have finally got their act together and they circle plus include text for UK/Ireland tomorrow - mention of the 'T' word for the S/SE:

http://www.estofex.org/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Amazing photos NL :o

Didn't look quite as impressive from my side.

Just putting my timelapse together, got 1514 photos to make into a movie!

Got another timelapse going now focused on the shower around Middlesbrough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Liking the sound of that - very much :o

Should be a good chance of squall lines tomorrow - was a squall line which brought the London tornado in Dec 07! I love squall lines as they tend to be intense and obviously means a greater area has a chance of seeing storms :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thunderstorms can indeed be very localised. In Cleadon I heard thunder on each of the first four days of July 2007 but some people living 5-10 miles away only had thunder on one or two of those days.

July 2009 has started with 3 thunder-days out of 5 in Cleadon according to reports from the location.

Very impressive shelf cloud from NL. I think I've seen similar clouds in Cleadon, usually from similar cyclonic setups with showers and a S or SW wind, but rarely as impressive as that one.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Yeah but not in the Northeast...LoL, thanks for the comments folks but all i did was point the camera

in the right direction and pressed the button, nature did the rest..!! Hoping tomorrow produces the same

or even better...a funnel would be nice...

Posted
Liking the sound of that - very much :(

Should be a good chance of squall lines tomorrow - was a squall line which brought the London tornado in Dec 07! I love squall lines as they tend to be intense and obviously means a greater area has a chance of seeing storms :(

typical! I go to Cumbria and suddenly the weather turns interesting down here :o :o

Although I will be driving right through the thunderstorm area on their map so what's the chances of seeing a storm at some point on my journey? :)

Posted
Liking the sound of that - very much :o

Should be a good chance of squall lines tomorrow - was a squall line which brought the London tornado in Dec 07! I love squall lines as they tend to be intense and obviously means a greater area has a chance of seeing storms :o

Yes, should be an interesting day tomorrow, even in Kent -as steering winds will be veering westerly during the day, and upper winds will be strongest across the south plus some decent low-level shear forecast as trough moves through.

This evening, looks like the most recent storm activity over UK and Ireland is across North Yorks and up across Tyneside area seems to tie in with a cold front exiting the east coast too.

Posted

post-4475-1246820275_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246820354_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246820386_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246820418_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246820477_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246820502_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246820520_thumb.jpg

tHE RAINBOW WAS FROM LAST WEEKEND, the last two pics was the storm i was trying to chase today,