Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tropical Storm Grace

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

On the latest picture it looks to me as though it is getting a bit more organised?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Old Grace isn't dead yet is it. Looking at the letest radar it looks like going over south wales across midlands and its still got it's own rotation.

Just appearing on netweather radar as rather unimpressive bit of rain.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Latest sat image, this feature is looking stronger to me now, is there any more windspeed data or anything?

I cannot beleive that there aren't more people watching this, I mean, how often do you see something like this bearing down on the UK?

Posted

Winds of between 30-40mph in the SW and SW wales now.

It's certaintly getting muhc gustier now.

Winds should be highest maybe 50 miles to the south of the system with rain strongest within a 50 mile radius of the LP track.(IMO anyway).

Making a beeline for milford haven in Wales to hit the mainland.

Posted

Winds gusting upto 45mph just to the north of the system on the weaker side.

Just to stress these are not strong winds for the time of year, but are strong on what is an unusual little system

Posted

Grace seems to be a hybrid system now, and is failing to gain latitude south of Cork, in fact winds have backed around to northeast at the Marathon oil platform. I would suggest the track is likely to be over south Wales and the Cotswolds towards Suffolk overnight. Local rainfalls of 25-50 mms will be widespread along this track with potential for 75 mms in parts of south Wales.

Also, the system is going to start interacting with moisture-laden low pressure in southern Biscay overnight and heavy rains may move up this frontal boundary through southern England late tonight and on Wednesday as that low tracks towards Paris and into Belgium by late Wednesday (at this point what's left of Grace will be in northern Germany).

One of the stranger tracks we've seen in recent years for a named system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Grace seems to be a hybrid system now, and is failing to gain latitude south of Cork, in fact winds have backed around to northeast at the Marathon oil platform. I would suggest the track is likely to be over south Wales and the Cotswolds towards Suffolk overnight. Local rainfalls of 25-50 mms will be widespread along this track with potential for 75 mms in parts of south Wales.

Is this likely to be a feature worth staying up to experience?

I get the impression from the warnings the MetOffice are expecting the rainfall to dissipate somewhat over the Welsh hills - the warnings do not currently extend past the Welsh border. http://metoffice.com/

I've noticed it's felt very warm and humid today, particularly for October.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

http://www.metoffice...test_uk_ir.html

Latest sat image, this feature is looking stronger to me now, is there any more windspeed data or anything?

I cannot beleive that there aren't more people watching this, I mean, how often do you see something like this bearing down on the UK?

Often. Particulary if you stay in the Outer Hebrides, which is part of the UK...

This system, although quite interesting to watch, is now falling apart and isn't a patch on the BIG Atlantic systems which pound the northwest cost of Scotland and /or Ireland year on year.

Gusts of 45mph are nothing special for further south. Leaves will be lost, nothing much else. It reached 70+ up here (in huge swathes of areas) last Saturday morning. Maybe you didn't read about it?

Posted

Sustained winds to 40+mph and gusts to nearly 50mph again in the North/NW of the centre.

Quite agree it's not a match on the big Atlantic storms, but they are very different beasts.

This is a small core system, with IMO still some tropical charecteristics the high wind speeds near around the centre are a very good indication of this. To be clear this is nolonger tropical but is still highly ex tropical in nature and is the closest thing IMO this country has seen to a tropical storm for many many years.

BTW sustained winds are now in the Tropical storm category, even though this is nolonger a tropical storm.

Posted

I agree... its certianly doesnt look as tropical storm like as it did earlier before it was eaten by the cold front. Its still quite interesting though, especially down here in the South we never get anything like this. Im also surprised that the Met Office have made absolutely no mention of it as as Ive said its very interesting and I think many people would agree and would want to know about it.

Posted

Looks like the remains will go through central wales and north midlands at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Gusts of 45mph are nothing special for further south. Leaves will be lost, nothing much else. It reached 70+ up here (in huge swathes of areas) last Saturday morning. Maybe you didn't read about it?

If its North of Watford , I doubt it sad.gif

Although temp shows 68f its feels much warmer ? Is that a result of wind direction bought up by this tropical storm ?

Could be in for a very warm night down south min 16C/15C ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

The ITV forecast after the early evening news mentioned something along the lines of 'remnants of Hurricane Grace'. As far as I know the Met-O provides/supports this weather forecast. So it would seem that saying "the Met Office have made absolutely no mention of it" is slightly wide of the mark. Add to this the fact that the Met-O's synoptic charts have shown a TS symbol (or similar) for a day or more, then I really can't see why you're criticising them????

I can see where you're coming from with this Mondy, but arguably the interest is in the development of Grace, just popping up as she did and then giving the south a wee visit. Quite an interesting little occurence.

But aye, with you on the "don't panic over nothing" line :)

I think he means the BBC forcasters rather than the met office, who seem to have made absolutely no mention, even in passing, about this little system.

Posted

I really can't see why you're criticising them????

Im not criticising them and I apologise if it sounded as though I was. I was merely saying that I havent seen or heard anything from the Met Office and that im sure many people would be interested in something like this. However, ofcourse the Met Office isnt there to interest people and seeing as ex-Grace isnt really a threat I suppose they wouldnt have warniings or anything. Just thought a Tropical Storm so close to UK was pretty interesting...anyway im rambling now so...

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

This is a rain event. Nothing else. Those who complain about lack of rain will do well to remember a decent amount of rain is on the way.

There is no wind of significant note with this "system". It's falling apart very quickly. Indeed, the MetO whaich are often slated, have it judged well - I have yet to see a "strong wind alert" or gale warning appear on the MetO site..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Tropical storms are not famous for the damage they do due to wind anyway - its the rain which more often than not is the real problem with tropical storms.

Either way, this isn't a tropical storm - while it has kept some really quite remarkable features, it isn't something which is going to cause chaos - latest sat24 loop seems to show that it has lost a lot of its rotation...the clouds are even thinning, with the biggest concern coming from the CF its attached itself too. I would suspect the remaining energy will transfer along the front bring some quite heightened rainfall across Wales tonight (hence the warnings).

And yes, as mentioned above the rain is definitely something we need! Speaking on behalf of the grass, they are lapping it up! Several weeks now with negligible rainfall...not good.

With only a brief rest on Thursday as a zone of HP skirts through, its back to LP and cyclogenesis as two LP centres merge to give a fairly active depression into the weekend. With some troughs likely to be associated with a fairly active CF, there could be more convective potential over the weekend too.

Posted

Looks like the rain is fizzling out as well.

Posted

BBC's Dan Corbett, bless his cotton socks, briefly mentioned Grace in his 6.30 forescast, referring to her as a little "troublemaker"!!

Quite apt I think. Nothing dramatic, weather wise, but a very interesting little storm nonetheless. biggrin.gif

Steve M

Posted

It's clutching at straws and reminds me of snow fans looking for that all important Polar Low!

Iceberg - they aren't significant wind speeds. The Meto aren't interested in this system, except to issue a heavy rain warning.

Posted

Getting quite concerned now, good ol' Gracey is still looking strong. Sandbags at the ready!! Now the breeze has picked up! :)

Everybody knows this is just an area of low pressure and nobody is saying its going to cause damage or anything like that so why the sarcastic comment its just not needed. People are just interested in Graces formation.

Posted

probably was ITV if they called it a hurricane! at no part of Grace's life was she ever a hurricane.:)

Yee Gads!!!! If they did indeed call it a Hurricane, or ex Hurricane, then no wonder Joe Public now seems to think every strong gust of wind is called a 'Tornado'. Forecast slots like that, there would be no hope.....

It's clutching at straws and reminds me of snow fans looking for that all important Polar Low!

Iceberg - they aren't significant wind speeds. The Meto aren't interested in this system, except to issue a heavy rain warning.

I have to agree. A 'lovely' little feature..... but that's all....

Posted

Gusts to 40+ mph in the Solent and culdrose, nothing spectacular, but still rather above a breeze and more than forecast.

They might not be for you Mondy, but then 3 cms of snow probably isn't either for you, but it would be for me.

I am happy to hear the last time we got TS strength winds from a system like this ?