Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Most Memorable Weather Event Of The 2000S?

Posted

Did you mean first significant snowfall until February 2004?

I suspect he means since February 1991 (given his location).

regards

ACB

Posted

Great thread Mr Data, my nominations as follows...

I've plumped for "events" rather than "spells" because they are so much more memorable I guess! All from winter, but only two are snowy...

28th Feb 2003 It started snowing around lunchtime, got harder, then the school run started, and the gritters were stuffed. Nowhere gritted, heavy heavy snowfall, Nth London gridlocked. I'm lucky enough to work within walking distance of home and I'll never forget the smell of burnt out clutches on Barnet hill as I walked home. Amazing.

28th Jan 2004 Like many others here, the thundersnow event that day strikes me as a one off. I watched the thin line of convection travel south on Netweather radar and coupled with the forum posts, was able to summon a member of staff to cover some roll cages filled with stock with a tarpaulin with impeccable timing - or so I thought! As we started, I saw some fine flakes crossing the light of the streetlamps, but 5 minutes later the ground was covered and we were slipping all over the place in a fierce blizzard. Rush hour gridlock for London again.

(A conclusion here: why spend all that money on a beefy 4x4, if you have to follow a 2 wheel drive that will get stuck and block you anyway?)

Last one: 2nd Dec 2005 Hemel Hempstead. The biggest bang...and the biggest , blackest cloud I have seen on a bright sunny day. It was so surreal, especially knowing it wasn't weather as such, but burning oil. I got some great pics and it certainly seemed like being under a volcanic ash cloud - at least from where I was standing!

There we go - hope the last one counts!

Steve M

Posted

Yes a Great Thread Kevin - Some from this country and abroad for me.

10th August 2003 - 37c in Essex and just South of me the Record Temperature of 38c+

28th January 2004 - As others have said 7c down to 0c and Thundersnow in 5 minutes.

17th July 2004 - Essex Supercell with Golfball Sized Hailstones and the Storm stretched from East Anglia to Holland and Germany!

19-28th Feb 2005 - 10 Days of Snow Showers in a bitter Mini Beast from the East.

USA

--------

4th May 2007 - The 1st ever EF5 Tornado at 1.8 Miles wide that wiped out Greensburg (Kansas)

23rd May 2008 - Documented 5 Tornadoes of the 58 that occured in Kansas That Day! Incredible Weather Day!

29th May 2008 - Being Caught up inside the Aurora Tornado in Nebraska after not watching the radar for 10 minutes, the Tornado was an EF2 With winds at 136mph and was 1/2 Mile Wide

Paul S

Posted

17th July 2004 - Essex Supercell with Golfball Sized Hailstones and the Storm stretched from East Anglia to Holland and Germany!

Still cant believe I slept through that one. :doh:

For me it has to be the January 2004 snowstorm, watching light rain turn to horizontal snow in a matter of seconds, with visibility reducing to nothing just as quick. It was amazing as it hit, big black clouds hanging overhead, I was dissapointed that the previous nights snow was melting to nothing, then this squall line creeps up behind me while I'm watching from my South facing window. :)

Summer of 2007 too, never seen so much rain.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

2003 Heatwave. There's been the odd decent fall of snow but nothing I havn't seen before and that I'm not likely to see again. I certainly had not experienced 35C at home before and I might not again.

Posted

Or February 1994?

Oops, I did indeed mean February 1994! :)

Edited by Don

Posted

This was one if not the most memorable model event of the 2000`s the anticipation of what the late feb 2005 easterly would bring and the best looking winter chart of the decade for Northern blocking in 00`s winter.

Rrea00120050221.gif

Rrea00120050223.gif

Remember that so well from the first snow flurries from the N-ly.

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Let's face it: last week! snow falling and accumulating for 7 consecutive days, with most parts of Scotland getting 10-15 cm, and, in particular, the 21st into the 22nd, when Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow all received around 6 inches in the space of 24 hours. Magic

Posted

I think the next decade is going to move onto what people were use to in the early days. classic summers and classic winters.

btw what is the next decade going to be called, this decade was noughties

I think the next decade is going to move onto what people were use to in the early days. classic summers and classic winters.btw what is the next decade going to be called, this decade was noughties

Posted

Well for me, definitely the most memorable event was the Jan 28th 2004 thundersnow event. It was so unexpected for me as I was at college the whole day and did not realise that this was going to happen.

Another couple of events that I am surprised people haven't mentioned:

March 12th 2004: Got 6 inches from that. The Midlands and Wales did very well in this event.

Surprised that members especially those from the SW have not mentioned the late November 2005 snowfall. That event I will remember was on 28th November for me in the Midlands when again unexpectedly snow fell.

Talking of November 2005, it was rather special that it was a month of two halves, an extremely mild first half followed by a very cold second half turning it into an average month in the end. A complete flip flop that I have never seen since!

In terms of summer, August 2003 will be very hard to beat.

Happy xmas people btw.

Regards, hgb