Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Most Memorable Weather Event Of The 2000S?

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The late Feb early march cold spell in 2005 was good with snow falling most days over at least 10 days to a fortnight. Several accumulations during that time. Especially on 1st to 4th March

Later that year the late xmas cold snap gave heavy showers from late Boxing day till late on the 28th. 12cms snow cover. Hard frosts and icicles hanging from houses and roofs etc till early on the 30th

The snow of early Feb this year was not bad - but far too brief. Also the snowfall and covering of the afternoon/early evening of 6th April 2008 was a nice surprise - especially as it led to a snow covered frosty night.

The supercell thunderstorm that struck my local area on 15 July 2007 with tornado reported. Never seen another storm like it.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Well i've been very lucky with weather events so far.

The snowfalls in Feb were probably the highlight because between 3am-7am on the 5th we had around 8inches of snowfall (see my sig). We also had 3 more snowfalls during this spell that maintained the snow depth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

only thing that really stands out is the exceptionally wet autumn of 2000..i was in chrage of building a hotel in Devon at the time and we recorded 120 days of consecutive rainfall on site from the 25th August - 22nd December.

Posted

Memories of severe weather in the 80's and 90's are much more vivid than the 2000's.

Autumn 2000 did have some interesting weather.

The late feb 2001 snowstorm in S Scotland sticks out as the most severe winter weather that has occurred in the UK in the 00's

Storm of Jan 2005 was interesting for Cumbria.

There has few a moderate snow events otherwise but nothing that bad.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

In chronological order I'd pick the following;

October/November 2000, the only two consecutive months in my 40+ year record to receive more than 200mm of rain.

July 2003, Severe thunderstorm in the early hours of the 17th gave 63.2mm of rain

August 2004 The wettest month I've recorded with over 245mm including an exceptional downpour on the 9th giving 75.1 mm

July 2006 The exceptional heat and sunshine which rivalled the summer of 1976

January 2007 A severe gale early on the 18th gave a gust of 94 mph here, one of the top 10 gales I've experienced.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For me, it was either of the two 18-hour blizzards that we had in early 2001...Unlike last year's cold, that lot certainly came courtesy of repeated incursions from the NE...

Posted

Summer 2006 massive MCS system went right over head me, 6 hours of intense CG lighting in the night and very little precip along with it. Never ever seen anything like it in my life. We thought it was the end of the world.

That's pretty much the last thundestorm I had that had more than one bolt of lightning in them. They don't make 'em like they did back then!

Edited by sammie

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

August 2003 heat wave:

I was on holiday in Looe, Cornwall, it was so hot, even the beach was unbearable. But was very pleasant around 8pm, what I remember so vividly is the steam rising off the sand late in to the evening.

The January 28th 2004 Thunder snow event, was the most intense snowstorm I have ever witnessed. Cracks of thunder, and a raging blizzard. At the end of the day, there was 3 inches of snow over thick ice. I do have a full account of that event somewhere.

April 2008 snow: To me the most beautiful morning of the decade, a clear blue sky with deep snow.

post-1046-12548176644992_thumb.jpg

Heavy snow april 2008

Winter 2008 / 2009: Severe frosts and thick freezing fog at the end of December, which continued in to January, the freezing fog produced snow scenes in the Trent valley.

Not forgetting the heavy snow, which fell in February, a great winter for me.

post-1046-12548176828386_thumb.jpg

Severe frost about 1pm, New Years eve December 2008

post-1046-12548177117626_thumb.jpg

Heavy snow, Febraury 2009

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

2006 heatwave in July. Days on end i would wake up to clear blue skies with the promise of temperatures into the mid to high 20s.

2003 heatwave in August

The dry and warm Spring of 2007 with April 14th/15th sticking in my mind as gorgeously warm and sunny.

June 2007 floods which affected this area badly. I doubt i will ever see anything like it again in my lifetime.

Freezing fog of December 2006

The 2000s have certainly not been the decade for snow round these parts with no single event standing out above the rest. However winters earlier on in the

decade were much better in terms of snow.

Easter snow 2008 not for the amount but the fact that it was so late in the season and a few days later the daffodills were out.

Posted

Autumn 2000 did have some interesting weather.

The late feb 2001 snowstorm in S Scotland sticks out as the most severe winter weather that has occurred in the UK in the 00's

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

This day was it,gave 2 inches here with drifting.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2001/Rrea00120010227.gif

March 2001 was the highlight that year here with 8 inches and 2 days of blizzards. :ph34r:

Then foot and mouth came. :unsure:

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

2004. Thunder snow event in January. I was driving in this and had to just give up and hope nobody hit my car.

2009. Being in the stramer in January that produced the heaviest snowfall I have ever seen.

Posted

Have to agree with a few others autumn 2000 was memorable disturbed,severe gales/late october storm with snow/torrential rain/hail,wettest autumn,but previous year was(1999)was much more extreme in late september.

Wrong decade :lol:

March/April/easter powdery snow rates high up,of course July`s heatwave best summer of the decade in that respect.

February 2008 warm days frosts,then a colder high followed.

And 2008 best May of the decade totaly easterly with the best thunderstorms for late Spring. :lol:

Posted

This takes some thought, and others' nominations make interesting reading because it highlights the regional variations experienced- some of the nominations were scarcely notable here; eg late Feb 2005, which like Dec 2000 wasn't even the best snowfall of that winter, let alone the decade. Similarly the nominations for Aug 2003 with its few early hot days followed by 3 weeks of cloud.

So for the top 5 I'd probably go for (in no particular order):

1) 12 March 2006- by far the deepest snow of the decade, a reminder that it could snow properly in Shrewsbury after so many years of missing out time and again.

2) July 2006- apart from the few coolish days around the 10th it was a perfect summer month; had sun, heat, the odd thunderstorm; August 2003 wasn't fit to lace its boots.

3) 19 June 2005- definitely the thunderstorm of the decade.

4) late Dec-early Jan 2001/2; the last time I'd say it was properly cold here for more than a couple of days (like Dec-Jan 96-7, late Dec 95, late Jan 96, Feb 91); early Jan this year came close but didn't quite manage it.

5) April 2007- in so many ways THE perfect month. Warm and sunny by day, comfortable by night, no streams of depressions/fronts, no "sunshine and showers", no "cloudy anticyclone" syndrome- if anything it brings back even better memories than Jul 2006.

Also mentioned in dispatches: White Christmas of 2004, and the early warm spell of April 2003.

Wooden Spoon: the entire year 2008 (can't believe somebody called it the best year): no lying snow despite it falling in 6 different months; a dull, wet summer crowned by the worst August of the decade; another mild wet January- Room 101 for 2008!

Posted

This takes some thought, and others' nominations make interesting reading because it highlights the regional variations experienced- some of the nominations were scarcely notable here; eg late Feb 2005, which like Dec 2000 wasn't even the best snowfall of that winter, let alone the decade. Similarly the nominations for Aug 2003 with its few early hot days followed by 3 weeks of cloud.

So for the top 5 I'd probably go for (in no particular order):

1) 12 March 2006- by far the deepest snow of the decade, a reminder that it could snow properly in Shrewsbury after so many years of missing out time and again.

2) July 2006- apart from the few coolish days around the 10th it was a perfect summer month; had sun, heat, the odd thunderstorm; August 2003 wasn't fit to lace its boots.

3) 19 June 2005- definitely the thunderstorm of the decade.

4) late Dec-early Jan 2001/2; the last time I'd say it was properly cold here for more than a couple of days (like Dec-Jan 96-7, late Dec 95, late Jan 96, Feb 91); early Jan this year came close but didn't quite manage it.

5) April 2007- in so many ways THE perfect month. Warm and sunny by day, comfortable by night, no streams of depressions/fronts, no "sunshine and showers", no "cloudy anticyclone" syndrome- if anything it brings back even better memories than Jul 2006.

Also mentioned in dispatches: White Christmas of 2004, and the early warm spell of April 2003.

Wooden Spoon: the entire year 2008 (can't believe somebody called it the best year): no lying snow despite it falling in 6 different months; a dull, wet summer crowned by the worst August of the decade; another mild wet January- Room 101 for 2008!

Regarding late Dec 01 early Jan 02, it was persistantly very cold over north england with frost cover almost throughout, it was colder than the equivalent late dec 08 early jan 09 spell.

And yes in Windermere we got lucky christmas 2004, with snow falling on and off all day, it only gave a 1-2 inch cover, and only hung around until the 27th but it was a true white christmas.

Posted

For me it has to be the following.

January 8th 2003 gave the first significant snowfall since February 2004.

January 2004 thundersnow event although shortlived was nonetheless impressive.

February 2005 two week cold spell with superb synoptics and frequent snowfall, although any lying snow was shortlived.

Consistent heat of July 2006.

Barmy September 2006.

February 8th 2007 snowfall in what was otherwise a real stinker of a Winter.

April 2007 'Summer'!!

July 2007 floods and cool weather.

February 2008 for it's dry and sunny weather with frequent warm days.

Easter 2008 with Winter finally arriving and bringing some snow!

April 6th 2008 with substantial snowfall that I wasn't expecting.

Dreadful washout of August 2008 although some impressively rough seas in Cornwall.

October 28th 2008 unseasonal snowfall in the south which was all the more significant given our current climate warming.

And finally February 2nd 2009 with 10 inches of snow accumulating over just one night. The greatest snow depth in my location for at least 27 years and certainly the most snow I have seen fall over a short period.

Will there be any more significant weather events before 2009 is out I wonder?

Edited by Don

Posted

Notable events:

Autumn 2000 - Shockingly wet. I used to cycle to college back then and got soaked almost everyday.

June 2001 - A magnificant set of storms that produced marble-sized hail and sent a water spout down the River Humber. There was a couple of inches of lying hail here unlike anything Ive ever seen.

August 2003 - I worked outside and got heatstroke the day before the hottest day, spending it inside in bed feeling lousy.

January 2004 - The infamous thunder-snow, it was a notable event here, dropping over 6 inches of snow (not beaten since).

January 2005 - I still worked outside and found myself knocked off my feet on the 8th when that gust front passed over. Not experienced winds of that severity since.

August 2005 - Impressive thunderstorms on the last day of the month.

July 2006 - A wonderful month, 14 consecutive days above 25C, almost always sunny and never too hot.

April 2007 - Suprisingly summery for so early in the year.

June 2007 - The floods, I was sent home from work due to the state of emergency declared and remember driving home in shock to be greeted with almost 100mm of rain in my gauge in less than 18 hours.

Most notable is probably the floods of 2007.

Posted

Has to be Feb 05 for me

Polar low

Thundersnow

2 inches of snow in 12 mins

Around 7 by the time the snow had passed

Total chaos that rush hour

A perfect recipe for a memorable event

Edited by snowking

Posted

Regarding late Dec 01 early Jan 02, it was persistantly very cold over north england with frost cover almost throughout, it was colder than the equivalent late dec 08 early jan 09 spell.

And yes in Windermere we got lucky christmas 2004, with snow falling on and off all day, it only gave a 1-2 inch cover, and only hung around until the 27th but it was a true white christmas.

Late 2001/02 was cold I can just remember that from the drifting snow in the odd place on one day -7c the low and max of -3c lowest max lasting 7 days.

But I have to say the more recent freezing fogs of Late Jan/early feb 2006,december 2007 cold spell more freezing thick fog and similar temps 8 days but with a less cold 2 days inbetween.

But the longest coldest(with some snow) most persistant spell of the decade actually goes to late december/Jan 2009 at 16 days with -9c min and -5c max all old reading with freezing fog,something that really has done very well 2nd half of the 2000`s with inversions. :whistling:

Most memorable here anyway.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I posted this thread on a couple of other sites

The 2000s are drawing to a close and we will soon be in the 2010s, so what would be your most memorable weather of this decade? Its a very tricky one, you got the August 2003 heatwave, the summer 2007 floods, the October 2000 storm etc..

For me, the post-Christmas 2000 December snowfall. I watched the snow come down thick and fast in the early hours, leaving a winter wonderland scene.

Most memorable thunderstorm for me was 2nd July 2006 which leads to the most memorable summer spell of the decade: July 2006

Tough one

Aug 2003 the time I realised I wasnt going ahead re getting married and had to tell everyone . It was very very hot day/s and time.

Summer floods 2007 the 2hr drive to Worcestershire on business the 9hr drive home. How my car got through every 40ft puddle ill never know.

However for me got to be (to date) Feb 2009 the snow ball fight 3am in the morning with 6 neighbours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I didn't mention any of 2009's events, but it may well be that in future I remember some 2009 weather events largely because I was in Exeter at the time and was expecting a non-stop procession of relatively benign weather.

The first was the two helpings of snow on 2/3 and 5/6 February, which gave Exeter more snow than in all of the preceding seven winters combined, according to stats from the locals. The second was the two big storms in June- one on the 6th that gave over 100mm of rain locally within 12 hours, plus a hefty thunderstorm at 8-9am (this would fall into the "notable" category in any part of the UK!), and another on the 15th which gave 20-30mm locally as well as a fairly big thunderstorm and some hail.

Posted

Floods of 2007 for me, i remember been at the bus stop in torrential rain. And the rivers overflowing in Leeds center, sending water into the posh river side apartments. All trains were out, the track was the worst i have ever seen it, literally a river. People had to sleep in the town hall, and the journey home stuck in traffice for 6 hours.

Posted

Most memorable events of the 2000s for me-

July 2006- by far the best summer month of my lifetime and arguably ever.

The remarkable heatwave of mid April 2003.

The warm Octobers of 2001 and 2005, particularly 2005 for the very late warm spell.

August 2004 for an unusual combination of warmth and extreme rainfall.

Summer of 2003 for the high temperatures.

March 2003 for the extraordinary amount of sunshine.

February 2008 for the remarkable daytime maxima and high diurnal ranges as well as sunshine.

I would add April 2007 to this list as it is possibly the most remarkable month of my lifetime (for warmth), but unfortunately I was out of the country! I was also out of the country on September 21st 2006 so missed the exceptional heat and this would also be on my list had I been in the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

January 8th 2003 gave the first significant snowfall since February 2004.

Did you mean first significant snowfall until February 2004?