Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

50 Days To Save The World

Kiwi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I'm sorry, but are people really suggesting that advert is going to scare any children, really ?. It's about as scary as Evil Edna on Will O' The Wisp (showing my age I know !). Just seems like a very convenient excuse to bash it if you ask me, (not that I'm defending the political reasons behind the ad, I just think that the suggestion it should be banned because it's 'too scary' seems quite ridiculous).

i think showing a child where all going to drown and that its up to us to be climate heros is beyond.

if children want to watch it fair enough,

but to feed young minds with something that distubing,

and thats without the fact it could end up being wrong.

kids are taught in school how to grow trees and throw waist into a recycling bin this is fair enough,

but the teacher does not say if you dont recycle then your going to die because the monster in the sky,

oh please if teachers used the same methods as the tv advert they have plenty of parents kicking off.

its not even educational infact its a waist of money to,

i wonder how many solar panels you could buy with the money invested in climate change adverts and other stuff.

and remember al gores video well uk high court delt with that aswell,

and so they should.

Edited by badboy657

Posted

I'm sorry, but are people really suggesting that advert is going to scare any children, really ?. It's about as scary as Evil Edna on Will O' The Wisp (showing my age I know !). Just seems like a very convenient excuse to bash it if you ask me, (not that I'm defending the political reasons behind the ad, I just think that the suggestion it should be banned because it's 'too scary' seems quite ridiculous).

But you knew Evil Edna wasn't real.

The "advert" in question is actually propaganda and make no mistake it is aimed at children. If it was aimed at adults the format would be different and it would only be shown after the watershed. It is totally aimed at children (do you see other adverts taking the form of bedtime stories?) and in a most insidious way. Children are, on the whole, drawn to and very fond of fluffy kittens, puppies and rabbits. To see these creatures being portrayed as distressed and dying due to what adults have done is absolutely not the way to go about promoting sustainable and clean living.

Also, remember that the "advert" puts the blame for excessive levels of Co2 squarely on usage of power by adults. Use of electricity by children on playstations and computers etc. gets no mention at all....it really paints adults as evil people who are causing rabbits to cry, kittens to be washed away on upturned tables and puppies to drown.

The "advert" is wrong on so many levels. The sooner they take it off and replace it with something constructive, the better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/6375775/Climate-change-could-cause-more-problems-than-two-world-wars-Brown-warns.html#

More.....ummmmmm.......stuff from Gordon the Moron.

Posted

But you knew Evil Edna wasn't real.

http://www.telegraph...own-warns.html#

More.....ummmmmm.......stuff from Gordon the Moron.......

A very good post Noggin,if you don't mind me saying! I've changed my tack on the advert - if the nipper and me see it,I'm gonna play along and tell him that it's all true and that we are indeed going to burn in the flames of a CO2 inspired hell etc etc,whilst simultaneously chucking his nintendo out the window to save the world. When he's reduced to a slobbering wreck and having suicidal thoughts at his impending doom (and the loss of his nintendo),I'll put a compensation claim in against the government. Well,everyone else is at it these days. That'll reyten the buggers,as they say oop North. The sooner they take it off and replace it with a documentary on how they've utterly condemned us to what's coming with their lack of foresight re energy provision,the better.

Posted

A very good post Noggin,if you don't mind me saying! I've changed my tack on the advert - if the nipper and me see it,I'm gonna play along and tell him that it's all true and that we are indeed going to burn in the flames of a CO2 inspired hell etc etc,whilst simultaneously chucking his nintendo out the window to save the world. When he's reduced to a slobbering wreck and having suicidal thoughts at his impending doom (and the loss of his nintendo),I'll put a compensation claim in against the government. Well,everyone else is at it these days. That'll reyten the buggers,as they say oop North. The sooner they take it off and replace it with a documentary on how they've utterly condemned us to what's coming with their lack of foresight re energy provision,the better.

I don't mind at all, laserguy! :)

I'm really sorry you haven't been able to see it yet.........my jaw dropped when I saw it first. On subsequent "seeings" of it, I have been really angry about so many aspects of it, some of which are outlined in my previous post. I know the advert is available on the net......I'll see if I can find a link.

Back soon.

Here it is, courtesy of youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62gsctP2gc

It's an absolute disgrace.

BTW, laserguy.......I am so incensed by the advert it ain't doing my blood pressure any good. Perhaps we should start a class action!

Posted

First time I've seen a Tory 'love in' in this sub forum...

Erm, can we stick to the science please? Can we thus stop attacking GB the man and instead (if you so feel moved) attack what he said? Is that too much to ask? Is it too much to ask for people to listen to what he said rather than simply shoot from the hip? Seems so...

No, No, Yes, Yes. :)

Posted

I agree with Laserguy as regarding Noggin's post. Well thought out and presented. :)

But I am pleased that I'm not the only one to find that this 'advert' is, in a sense upsetting for children. If not, then why so many complaints to the ASA?

Right so our pets will drown, or otherwise their lungs will pop due to too much CO2 in the air if we don't take action. 50 days, now just 47 to go. rolleyes.gif

You know, if I were a Father and I told my kid/kids a bedtime story like that, I'd be lambasted big time, and justifiably so too. So why should the DECC, IPCC and the gov't be allowed to get away with an 'advert' that not only cost to the tune of £6 million, but also puts fear into our children? Never did I think that a propoganda issue would be used on our younger generation.

I did watch it again last night on the link provided by Noggin (Beat ya to it! :lol:) to show a couple of friends as regarding what I was on about (they honestly thought I was making it up!) and even they were shocked as to the attitude of these 'so-called' brainwashing antagonists.

These idiots really should have thought it out more and use a little more tact.

PTFD... Comparing Evil Edna to this 'advert' is like comparing Flipper to Jaws. And besides, I did like the theme tune to Will O' the Wisp. :)

Phil.

Posted

I agree with Laserguy as regarding Noggin's post. Well thought out and presented. :)

But I am pleased that I'm not the only one to find that this 'advert' is, in a sense upsetting for children. If not, then why so many complaints to the ASA?

300 odd, out of 60 million! More people think the world will end tomorrow...

Right so our pets will drown, or otherwise their lungs will pop due to too much CO2 in the air if we don't take action. 50 days, now just 47 to go. rolleyes.gif

You know, if I were a Father and I told my kid/kids a bedtime story like that, I'd be lambasted big time, and justifiably so too. So why should the DECC, IPCC and the gov't be allowed to get away with an 'advert' that not only cost to the tune of £6 million, but also puts fear into our children? Never did I think that a propoganda issue would be used on our younger generation.

I did watch it again last night on the link provided by Noggin (Beat ya to it! :clap:) to show a couple of friends as regarding what I was on about (they honestly thought I was making it up!) and even they were shocked as to the attitude of these 'so-called' brainwashing antagonists.

These idiots really should have thought it out more and use a little more tact.

PTFD... Comparing Evil Edna to this 'advert' is like comparing Flipper to Jaws. And besides, I did like the theme tune to Will O' the Wisp. :D

Phil.

C'mon, calling people 'idiots' is just bar room stuff.

There is still more anger than sense in this thread.

Edited by Devonian

Posted

So, Devonian. Am I not morally right in saying that those who knock out a disturbing advert with propaganda at a massive cost isn't fundamentally wrong when aimed at kids in particular? Aimed at parents to tell kids in a bed-time story that their pets will die, drown, suffocate if no action taken before the end of 2009.

Oh, come on, pleeeeeaaasse!!

300+ complaints can make a difference, but out of 60 million?

How do you know 300 odd? Last I saw in my research was over 500. Enough for the ASA to warrant some form of action to the powers that be.

Of course the powers that be will not give one iota as to what Joe Public thinks.

And that my friend, is where it all goes wrong with the "I'm right, you're wrong, no grey area" issue.

Phil.

Posted

What offends me most about the 'ad' is not that it might be upsetting or scary for children,but the fact that it's complete and utter cobblers and an insult to our intelligence. Such an outrageous,total waste of a huge amount of our money in these days when so many of us are struggling to pay the bill for the stuff they are urging us to use less of,doesn't go down very well either. AGW a huge cover-up for something far more sinister and very real? You bet it is. Dev,maybe they aren't idiots,maybe they are - but they sure as hell treat us as such. What goes around,etc.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

300 odd, out of 60 million! More people think the world will end tomorrow...

C'mon, calling people 'idiots' is just bar room stuff.

There is still more anger than sense in this thread.

Where do you see the sense in this terrible advert?

Posted

Where do you see the sense in this terrible advert?

I don't see the sense in just dismissing it as 'terrible' - we wont know if it's 'terrible' for several decades...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I don't see the sense in just dismissing it as 'terrible' - we wont know if it's 'terrible' for several decades...

And that makes it right does it?

Posted

And that makes it right does it?

I didn't say it was right, I say we can't just dismiss it as wrong.

I didn't say it was right, I say we can't just dismiss it as wrong.

Basically then you are saying that if AGW hypothesis is proven correct and associated forebodings are borne out, however uncertain and incompete the science is at the moment - then it doesn't matter what form of propaganda is used in the meantime to try to 'focus minds and utilise action now' ?

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

That's the whole problem, NSSC.

Nothing is as yet 100% no money back guarantee proven, then this AGW propaganda should be kept at a distance.

When I see sharks down at my local lake, baking more than I did unlike 10th August 2003, (36.3ºc) plagues of locusts and Solihull Beach... Then I'll believe that something may be wrong with the climate. And bear in mind that my nearest beach is 125 miles (ish) away.

Untill then, stop worrying!! Propoganda brainwashes the masses.

Phil.

Posted

Basically then you are saying that if AGW hypothesis is proven correct and associated forebodings are borne out, however uncertain and incompete the science is at the moment - then it doesn't matter what form of propaganda is used in the meantime to try to 'focus minds and utilise action now' ?

Actually, if you call the ad propaganda it's you who thinks AGW disproven isn't it..

That's the whole problem, NSSC.

Nothing is as yet 100% no money back guarantee proven, then this AGW propaganda should be kept at a distance.

When I see sharks down at my local lake, baking more than I did unlike 10th August 2003, (36.3ºc) plagues of locusts and Solihull Beach... Then I'll believe that something may be wrong with the climate. And bear in mind that my nearest beach is 125 miles (ish) away.

Untill then, stop worrying!! Propoganda brainwashes the masses.

Phil.

It sure does. The question is: which is the propaganda...

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Where is the propaganda you ask?

The propaganda lies with why targeting youngsters with the same bullcrap, but make it look more sinister than it really is.

It will take many more years before we see the sort of scenario that this 'advert' depicts. If at all. The Earth goes through natural cycles anyway.

Example... Something around 10,000 years ago, was a massive ice age that you could have skated from John O'Groats and into France. Carbon dating depicts that. The Earth so far is at a counterbalance, will warm up again no doubt but it's such a slow process as this planet has something like a 28,500 year degree tilt.

Why these world leaders now say... "We must prevent global warming, act now within 46 days".

Complete crap.

Could be another 46 years, and even then I daresay that the climate will be all that much different. (Maybe +1 or +2 CET)

Phil.

Posted

Where is the propaganda you ask?

The propaganda lies with why targeting youngsters with the same bullcrap, but make it look more sinister than it really is.

It will take many more years before we see the sort of scenario that this 'advert' depicts. If at all. The Earth goes through natural cycles anyway.

Example... Something around 10,000 years ago, was a massive ice age that you could have skated from John O'Groats and into France. Carbon dating depicts that. The Earth so far is at a counterbalance, will warm up again no doubt but it's such a slow process as this planet has something like a 28,500 year degree tilt.

Why these world leaders now say... "We must prevent global warming, act now within 46 days".

Complete crap.

Could be another 46 years, and even then I daresay that the climate will be all that much different. (Maybe +1 or +2 CET)

Phil.

Phil,

If, in 46 years time, the CET is 1-2C warmer that will be exactly in line with the prediction the ad is based on....2C warming of the CET isn't 'all that much different' it would be like the climate of mid France!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

There is a correct and wrong way to do this, if they are SOOO concerned then why waste more money telling us this and that, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. They are goverment, it's not like they ask us what they should do all the time...putting an ad up about it is just another way of saying, hey, taxes will be going up soon but this is why. Taxes wouldn't need to go up if they didn't waste money on an advert. 50 days is probably just another way of wanting support in climate meetings, maybe a deadline in meetings in December?...but we don't need to know that...we pay them to sort out the economy and all other concerns of the country, so just get on with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Phil,

If, in 46 years time, the CET is 1-2C warmer that will be exactly in line with the prediction the ad is based on....2C warming of the CET isn't 'all that much different' it would be like the climate of mid France!

So, if in 46 years time, we're 1-2C warmer, where is all the water which will drown those poor doggies going to come from?

Phil,

So that scenario, if it were to verify, justifies the advert?

Within the context of this particular discussion, you obviously have an especially, er, enlightening view of the middle french lifestyle!

Posted

Phil,

I bet most Britons are quaking in their boots at that prospect! If someone had told me that we'd be 2C warmer (or colder) when I was a sub 10 year-old,fiftyish years hence,it wouldn't have meant a thing. It's wrong on all levels. Anyway,how many days left before our destiny is sealed (or not)? I ask in all seriousness,is there anyone who really,genuinely believes that the outcome of the Copenhagen jamboree will stabilise global climate or cause cooling,indeed affect it in anyway and change whatever course it decides upon? Yes? You're all stark,staring mad.

Posted

Phil,

Sounds rather lovely :)

Posted

I bet most Britons are quaking in their boots at that prospect! If someone had told me that we'd be 2C warmer (or colder) when I was a sub 10 year-old,fiftyish years hence,it wouldn't have meant a thing. It's wrong on all levels. Anyway,how many days left before our destiny is sealed (or not)? I ask in all seriousness,is there anyone who really,genuinely believes that the outcome of the Copenhagen jamboree will stabilise global climate or cause cooling,indeed affect it in anyway and change whatever course it decides upon? Yes? You're all stark,staring mad.

Oh honestly! Can we have a discussion when the respect my 'side' gets it to be called 'allstark staring mad'? Just grow up - or be treated like a child!

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Oh honestly! Can we have a discussion when the respect my 'side' gets it to be called 'allstark staring mad'? Just grow up - or be treated like a child!

I am grown up,and I am being treated like a child - witness 'that' teevee ad. Stark,staring mad is putting it very mildly.