Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

James M

Posted

I think all the excitement is because most people are in the south east. Easterlies rarely bring anything directly here either. Still, at least it isn't mild.

Aye, and you can tell when you you express your disappointment at what is showing on the models!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

But if we get reloads from the north, as ECMWF suggests, and GFS shows out in FI, some snowfalls are then likely in north-west England.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I think all the excitement is because most people are in the south east. Easterlies rarely bring anything directly here either. Still, at least it isn't mild.

I'm not excited , last time it was a failure... as it was in feb 2009.

:smiliz46:

Posted

Ive been a member for hmmm quite a while.. and reading the model thread knowing that everybody comes to some sort of aggreement 3/4 days out to the event wheres its snow/rain wind etc.. but lately ive been reading and especially today, nobody seems to know what the bloody hell is gonna happen :)

You get the lastest model chart released and everybody goes into their own forcast... THAT DONT HELP ME!! :) (me being the typical person who just fasinated by the weather in my area)

Now!! im seeing people resorting to telling others to using the radar 2HRS out from the event.. to see what happens??

Now if this is happening here with all the pros on this site.. what the bloomin heck is happening in the met office?? are they on the phone telling the councils "YES GO GRIT THEM ROADS". "NO WAIT.. DAMN!! ITS RAINING.. CALL THEM BACK".. i mean this is laughable.. and to be honest i dont know what the hell is gonna happen in my corner of the woods.. one minuite its rain then the s/e is gonna get snow.. nope hold on.. nope its turning milder now, snow to rain.. no wait.. another model update, "your gonna get nothing"..

All i know at mo its eventually (even tho its still raining)so far..(dont hold your breath..it may change!!) by friday we are all in colder air, possible snow showers here.. then thats it.. everybody is so confused to what the hell is gonna happen after that.

But id must admit.. it is funny :)

Posted

Very quiet in here.....for now :unknw:

I for one am awaiting the 'breakdown' as it looks to be the only chance of getting a decent fall away from the north and east...gonna be fed up of those words by the end of the week!

I know it'll turn milder after a breakdown but it looks as though its my only chance for snow....can't believe with this set up they are talking rain in the south Tuesday...maybr IB was onto something!

Posted

I don't think it is really cold enough IMBY for snow yet - all we keep getting is rain. Is there really a cold spell on ?

Posted

Why is the "General Model Discussion Thread", dominated by talk of what is happening in the SE all the time? I'm not one of those Northerners with a chip on his shoulder, but there seems far to much IMBY within the model thread. Can we please discuss all of the UK please! :whistling:

[moan]

So far this winter has been great for the North and the East and for very high ground. Elsewhere it's been generally cold and dry. Just like a bog standard winter anticyclonic setup for me, but with more rain (I've recorded ~3 inches of rain/melted sleet in this mini-ice age).

[/moan]

Posted

Just thought I'd post om here to see if I'm banned or not. Anything I post on other threads that disagrees in the slightest with regular posters (or in the last instance asked them a question) gets deleted. I can't help but think that many of them must be very sad and wierd people. And by the way this is the only post I've made that might deserve deleting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

am i the only one who would really like the mild to return?.... im no fan of the cold, i hate prolonged cold spells . ok i like heavy dumpings of snow, i like blizzards, but i dont want them to stick around for months...

BRING ON THE BARTLETT! :shok:

Posted

Despite what some people are saying, I just don't see much interesting going on here in the West Midlands over the next few days. Tuesday's snow will fizzle before it gets here and I can't see how Friday's will work out.

How do I know this? Not from any models or forecasts...just on the fact that we seem to be the unlucky place this winter. (Or one of them, I don't think the south west are doing well either)

So, what shall we do over here while the eastern half enjoy their snow?

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

am i the only one who would really like the mild to return?.... im no fan of the cold, i hate prolonged cold spells . ok i like heavy dumpings of snow, i like blizzards, but i dont want them to stick around for months...

BRING ON THE BARTLETT! :)

kinda agree, will melt the SE record snowfall, agree with last post as well, not to be this winter Gord

Posted

I've lived in some snowy places in my time. Sunderland being the most snowy. I also lived in Ohio for 2 years and say quite a bit of cold and snow out there.

Stourbridge certainily isn't the worst place i've lived in for snow. Bangor in North Wales wins that award. I studied at university there from 1998 to 2001. The city itself is at sea level and it would be so frustrating to see the mountains get plastered in snow while it just rained heavily in Bangor.

I grew up in Lowestoft and lived there from my birth in 1978 to 1998. So i got the full force of 1987 and 1991 as well as numerous other localised events. December 1995 being notable.

This is probably one of the most frustrating cold spells i've witnessed...but at least the snow showers are getting nowhere near here. Its worse when you can see them. Living by the north sea coast and watching the snow fall out at sea while you're under sunshine is an awful experience...particularly when it does it for days and days on end! (Although on one occasion when i was in Lowestoft they were lighting up with lightning which made up for it...particularly after dark!)

For this week, as long as i can't see the snow showers, then i suppose i'll have to do without them!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Come on Mushy, you've had a tremendous run over the last 23 years, you can't begrudge the coldies this one.

i dont, but its gone on long enough now! :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i would agree that away from the south east/north east and the scotland..apart from being cold nothing of any significance has really happened

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Lower parts of the NW (Merseyside and parts of S.Lancs and Greater Manchester) will probably end up with a sleety/rainy mush as usual for Tuesday :( whilst everyone else gets their usual shedload of snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

BRING ON THE BARTLETT! :nonono:

I can understand your predicament- you're in a forum dominated by cold/snow lovers and your viewpoint is distinctly outnumbered. I imagine you probably haven't even had that much snow in your location either! I must admit that if winters like this were more common I would probably be tending towards your view- the main thing that's attracting me to the idea of a very prolonged cold snowy spell is that it could be my only opportunity to see a proper 1978-87 style snowy winter.

However, in spring I usually end up in much the same predicament, where I find myself wishing for a wide range of weather types, but most people have "moved on" to only being interested in sustained warm settled spells, and your response has, in the past, often been along the lines "you coldies had your turn in the winter- it's our turn now!". If it should be acceptable to wish for mild in winter it should also be acceptable to be something short of entirely averse to cold and snow in spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Despite what some people are saying, I just don't see much interesting going on here in the West Midlands over the next few days. Tuesday's snow will fizzle before it gets here and I can't see how Friday's will work out.

How do I know this? Not from any models or forecasts...just on the fact that we seem to be the unlucky place this winter. (Or one of them, I don't think the south west are doing well either)

So, what shall we do over here while the eastern half enjoy their snow?

It's even worse in Central Southern / Western S.E. England where areas to the East of Guildford have had some excellent and prolonged heavy snow and less than ten miles to the west heavy wet snow fell on the 21st~22nd December while this location missed much of the fun. Frustration levels are still high after the dreadful summer (2009) for lack of thunderstorms followed by a similar annoyance in November with coastal thundery showers never reaching inland despite forecasts. More annoying still, it's the locations that got all the storms in the summer and November that are having all the snow now.

I'm not enjoying this winter nearly as much as last years, although I take comfort that last year the best of the cold and snow was still to come.

This year's pattern seems to be characterised by the following;

(1) Marginality ~ Any 'snow' event associated with precipitation levels greater than 1 mm fall as rain - in plentiful amounts. nonono.gif

(2) Any chances of snow or snow events are associated with minimal precipiation levels. If anything does fall, it is missed in an eyeblink and thaws quickly when it rains.

(3) Very hard to ignore a consistant pattern of downgrades. Plenty is promised but this fails at 6 hours to up to 3 days before the 'event'. Funny how there are no other events which develop as a surprise or any of the partly hopeful forecasts get upgraded.

(4) Other locations get the 'event' they are predicted, or 'extra' from surprise events. Guildford area is promised a dry week - It's a dry week we get! mad.gif

(5) promises, promises. Every snow event is put back. "It will snow on Monday". Sunday night arrives and Monday is downgraded, but a new situation will develop for Wednesday. Tuesday night arrives and Wednesday will be rain but another event is expected at the weekend then it doesn't materialise. IT IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.wallbash.gif

This winter is barely any better than 2005~2006, which had plenty of opportunity for decent cold and snow. This repeatedly failed to materialise in this area with the let down of late December 2005 then the rubbish February and the dreary dirge of a continuation of this into March. A total waste of opportunity with a long cold period - at least we had a wonderful summer that year though. Many other locations had a frustrating time that winter too, unlike this year.

I know I sound thoroughly miserable - but it is hard to be enthusiastic about missing out on something many others are enjoying, over and over again yet hundrum life goes on and on without any compensatory pleasures. Can't even go out for a decent cycle ride as its too cold, windy or b****y raining again. I'd miss a month of rides for a repeat of 2nd February 2009.

So, to tonights models and forecasts. Some of the week ahead looks wonderful, or did earlier this evening. Already there is talk of next weekends snow being downgraded and our chances during the week don't look so good according to the METO. Some say this is a 'very special winter' - currently, the only special thing about it that here it is probably the worst for prolonged snow distribution frustration since 1983~1984. I would love to be proved wrong in the next week, blush.gif , and be writing posts about snow depths and comparing with other locations rather than having more of the frustration that has been abundant so far.diablo.gif

Time is running out and there is the risk that the mild stuff will be back and all our chances will go.

Just to prove a point - the lowest minimum temperature (-7.2 deg.C) and amount of snow (2 events - 4 cm and 5 cm respectively) were better in the record mild winter of 2006~2007 than the lowest minimum of -6.4 deg.C and 1~2 cm depths seen this winter! If a mild winter can produce snow and the enormous potential as seen in 2009~2010 can't deliver, then there is no hope.

Posted

It's even worse in Central Southern / Western S.E. England where areas to the East of Guildford have had some excellent and prolonged heavy snow and less than ten miles to the west heavy wet snow fell on the 21st~22nd December while this location missed much of the fun. Frustration levels are still high after the dreadful summer (2009) for lack of thunderstorms followed by a similar annoyance in November with coastal thundery showers never reaching inland despite forecasts. More annoying still, it's the locations that got all the storms in the summer and November that are having all the snow now.

I'm not enjoying this winter nearly as much as last years, although I take comfort that last year the best of the cold and snow was still to come.

(1) Marginality ~ Any 'snow' event associated with precipitation levels greater than 1 mm fall as rain - in plentiful amounts. nonono.gif

(2) Any chances of snow or snow events are associated with minimal precipiation levels. If anything does fall, it is missed in an eyeblink and thaws quickly when it rains.

(3) Very hard to ignore a consistant pattern of downgrades. Plenty is promised but this fails at 6 hours to up to 3 days before the 'event'. Funny how there are no other events which develop as a surprise or any of the partly hopeful forecasts get upgraded.

(4) Other locations get the 'event' they are predicted, or 'extra' from surprise events. Guildford area is promised a dry week - It's a dry week we get! mad.gif

(5) promises, promises. Every snow event is put back. "It will snow on Monday". Sunday night arrives and Monday is downgraded, but a new situation will develop for Wednesday. Tuesday night arrives and Wednesday will be rain but another event is expected at the weekend then it doesn't materialise. IT IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.wallbash.gif

This winter is barely any better than 2005~2006, which had plenty of opportunity for decent cold and snow. This repeatedly failed to materialise in this area with the let down of late December 2005 then the rubbish February and the dreary dirge of a continuation of this into March. A total waste of opportunity with a long cold period - at least we had a wonderful summer that year though. Many other locations had a frustrating time that winter too, unlike this year.

I know I sound thoroughly miserable - but it is hard to be enthusiastic about missing out on something many others are enjoying, over and over again yet hundrum life goes on and on without any compensatory pleasures. Can't even go out for a decent cycle ride as its too cold, windy or b****y raining again. I'd miss a month of rides for a repeat of 2nd February 2009.

So, to tonights models and forecasts. Some of the week ahead looks wonderful, or did earlier this evening. Already there is talk of next weekends snow being downgraded and our chances during the week don't look so good according to the METO. Some say this is a 'very special winter' - currently, the only special thing about it that here it is probably the worst for prolonged snow distribution frustration since 1983~1984. I would love to be proved wrong in the next week, blush.gif , and be writing posts about snow depths and comparing with other locations rather than having more of the frustration that has been abundant so far.diablo.gif

Time is running out and there is the risk that the mild stuff will be back and all our chances will go.

Just to prove a point - the lowest minimum temperature (-7.2 deg.C) and amount of snow (2 events - 4 cm and 5 cm respectively) were better in the record mild winter of 2006~2007 than the lowest minimum of -6.4 deg.C and 1~2 cm depths seen this winter! If a mild winter can produce snow and the enormous potential as seen in 2009~2010 can't deliver, then there is no hope.

This has got to be the best rant i've ever read.

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted

This is just another "even larger teapot", just we are getting a few extra CM's of snow here and there, and a few frosts. WOOOO not a frost. WOW!

All this talk of the cold lasting beyond next weekend, and into the future, and all the talk of the "upstream" signals are all indicative of the cold continuing, is utter NONSENSE!!! It just hedge betting.

Where were these "upstream" signals of Postivive NAO's or Negative AOW's or whatever hocus pocus methodology they are talking about on the technical discussions. When the Met Office first made their winter outlook back in November. They used language such as "mild", and "near average". Now they are changing their minds, and issuing warnings of ensuing snow flurries, and cold, like the new ice age is coming. Pffft!!!

All that has happened is that we have had: (a) some cold, (bee) some snow.

In the grand scheme of things, NOTHING IMPRESSIVE!

Personally I think the Atlantic will return with Mild SW'rlys, around next weekend, or just after.

Edited by weathernewbie

Posted

I'm really peeved off now. The big snow event in December did not go to plan. 20 miles East of me, 20 miles west and 10 miles north got pasted the whole night through, we had the odd flurry in comparison.

Now we have one of the most brilliant cold setups for the SE in years and who is going to get the snow? The WEST and SOUTH WEST???????????? :drinks::):) Why can't this weather lark be straight forward and just make sense? I hope you enjoy it western folk.

Unless an easterly pulls off at some point, anything interesting here looks unlikely as wind directions seem to stay mainly nne. We don't tend to do well out of these due to the huge track of land to the sea. It's unfair and disheartening to think that such brilliant synoptics wont deliver.

And for the love of god, I wish people would stop mentioning the south east when they only mean Kent. It is very misleading for us London folk. Those rascals should change their county name to snowtopia.

This is my rant over. Expect more south easterners to join this thread unless the weather gods hear my sorrows.

Posted

Is it just me that finds this hilarious?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

i dont, but its gone on long enough now! :lol:

I hear you - around here so far it's been only dustings, lethal ice and freezing cold. All of the pain but little of the gain!

Not minded while I've been off work but cycling to/from work is anything but fun at the moment with all this ice. Many layers needed - even more so since I can't get any speed up at all (and so can't get warm); double journey length and the fear of falling off the whole time.

Saying that I am looking forward to the snow this week - and the extremeness off it all. But after we're done with snow a thaw would be nice - even if only for a week or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

errr mods , you both deleted the south east regional threads :lol:

Posted

I'm really peeved off now. The big snow event in December did not go to plan. 20 miles East of me, 20 miles west and 10 miles north got pasted the whole night through, we had the odd flurry in comparison.

Now we have one of the most brilliant cold setups for the SE in years and who is going to get the snow? The WEST and SOUTH WEST???????????? diablo.gifdiablo.gifdiablo.gif Why can't this weather lark be straight forward and just make sense? I hope you enjoy it western folk.

Unless an easterly pulls off at some point, anything interesting here looks unlikely as wind directions seem to stay mainly nne. We don't tend to do well out of these due to the huge track of land to the sea. It's unfair and disheartening to think that such brilliant synoptics wont deliver.

And for the love of god, I wish people would stop mentioning the south east when they only mean Kent. It is very misleading for us London folk. Those rascals should change their county name to snowtopia.

This is my rant over. Expect more south easterners to join this thread unless the weather gods hear my sorrows.

I feel your pain, it seems like this winter there has been a very localised snowless region around west London.

Here in south west London, i'd be pushed to say that we've exceeded 1cm cumulative snowfall so far this winter. Whilst inner areas of London, only 5 miles away have been pasted with a number of 3-4"+ events!!!

Where's the hope when there are people ramping on about a 1963 winter, repeat of 1987, 1991 etc yet all we get is a marginal pasting of heavy rain!!

Infact I would easily take the April 2008 snow event over any 'potential' that is being shown now. How is it that we can get 4 inches of snow in April 2008, but get less than 1cm of snow over 2 weeks at the coldest part of the year and with some of the best synoptics in decades!!!!

Could someone explain what is going on here?? We are predicted sleet for about an hour tomorrow how can this be!!!

Edited by morfius