Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

James M

Posted

Well, I had to laugh when I watched ITV news and saw the massive hype, "worst winter for a hundred years". Let's see, we've had a massive 2" of snow so far and the coldest I've seen was last night -5.7. By this stage of the winter in 63' we had 15 foot snowdrifts and temps of -15 and in 82' , 4 foot drifts and I recorded -20 twice and it was -18 and below on six occasions. Day time temperatures in 63 and 82 were below the minimum nightime temp I've recorded so far this winter. I've seen a lot of winters and this one looks just pretty average to me certainly not in the top 20 of the ones I've seen. If we get some -10's and below I'll start getting interested but its just a complete non event in these parts.

Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, I had to laugh when I watched ITV news and saw the massive hype, "worst winter for a hundred years". Let's see, we've had a massive 2" of snow so far and the coldest I've seen was last night -5.7. By this stage of the winter in 63' we had 15 foot snowdrifts and temps of -15 and in 82' , 4 foot drifts and I recorded -20 twice and it was -18 and below on six occasions. Day time temperatures in 63 and 82 were below the minimum nightime temp I've recorded so far this winter. I've seen a lot of winters and this one looks just pretty average to me certainly not in the top 20 of the ones I've seen. If we get some -10's and below I'll start getting interested but its just a complete non event in these parts.

Pete

I couldn't agree more....'worst winter', my backside.....a few chilly days and 2, count 'em, two mediocre dustings of snow.......Oh, bring on the summer, warmth and thunderstorms!!!

Posted

ANOTHER failure for snow here in Telford, got a dusting (just about) from this morning around 8am with the lightest part of the band hitting us only to strengthen just after it passed as usual.

Since then been BONE DRY with us being STUCK inside the low and even hazy sunshine breaking through at times aswell as a thaw occuring on the small amount of snow we do have.

Sick of this happening, if the snow event happens in the south tonight whilst we get nothing then im taking another several month break from weather watching.

Pete

Agreed, been hopeless for me so far also. Even today many places of even S. Wales got a few inches, I just got 1cm that is now melting. BBC also seem to be saying very little if any snow tonight while places a few miles Easat once again will get pasted. Add the post Christmas event where I had ~6 hours of heavy sleety snow that didn't stick while places 5 miles away and similar elevation had 6-8 inches and it's been frustrating to say the least. I also recorded 3~ inches of RAIN/SLEET during this "worst winter for a hundred years". Only even had a handful of decent frosts. I'm not doubting it's been a tremendous winter for many people, but in IMBY this cold spell has been just like a bog standard winter anticyclonic spell but with more rain.

And if I hear the term "great synoptics" once more...

Posted

Conor...it really is a nowcast situation, and I would still say that the exact movement and intensity of any showers for, really, the rest of the week, are still uncertain.

Like yourself, we were predicted snow, even during last night. So far...well..its no more than 1mm on the 75% coverage we have.

Give your chin up...it could have been rain :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Naff all here either....just a pathetic icy half melted patchy mess which doesnt barely add up to much more than a millimetre.

Cold spell? My ARSENAL!

Posted

Conor...it really is a nowcast situation, and I would still say that the exact movement and intensity of any showers for, really, the rest of the week, are still uncertain.

Like yourself, we were predicted snow, even during last night. So far...well..its no more than 1mm on the 75% coverage we have.

Give your chin up...it could have been rain :wallbash:

After seeing the pictures of the 9 inches in Manchester today, the big drifts over Wales last week and the deep snow across the North & East and South East recently i can't help but be majorly frustrated considering the most weve had here was 1cm last Tuesday Night that was completely washed away by Wednesday Morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Me & Conor are very unlucky....nuff said!

Posted

Just had to pop in and say ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH werja;sdkflajewriubwehbfckushdbf.

And breathe...... that's better! Slight dusting this morning, now melted, while my parents by Mcr Airport keep sending me pictures of their snowfall!!!!! Watching the radar and everything is moving, apart from the big blob that's stuck to the north of us and won't come down, it's moving either side but it won't move over us!! It's not even funny!

Anyway, rant over, just needed to release some steam :drinks: Best get back to some work!

Good luck everyone

Louise

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

a cm or 2 of snow and thats on the high ground of the West Midlands wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

when are we due 15cm's plus here like we used to frequently in the 80-90's diablo.gif

Not a happy bunny lol.

Posted

all sorts off warnings this morning, most of which had us in the firing line, had 15 minutes of light flurry and thats it, if anything its made things worse as the white frost has now gone so not even looking wintry. Looking at the radar looks like we will miss out tonight too - Rubbish

Posted

Me & Conor are very unlucky....nuff said!

Indeed many parts of the Midlands that aren't under anything on the radar are getting snow now but as usual here in Telford there's nothing but fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I imagine that next week if I was near the Tyneside coast I'd be whining about the slow thaw which I expect to occur turning the soft fluffy snow to useless slush and ice and hearing "at least it's milder" on the media forecasts (if it's going to thaw, thaw properly).

However I'm in Norwich and I have a feeling there won't be much of a thaw here next week, so you probably won't find me in here much... The only problem around UEA is the gritters, which are mostly doing a good job of keeping paths clear, but where the grit has merely turned the snow slushy, the inevitable overnight refreezes will lead to ice, and walking on those areas may end up more treacherous than if they hadn't been gritted at all. It happened a few times at my old school where they gritted the school yard and the next day it was an ice rink.

Posted

No snow here. :wallbash:

By being out of the country I missed the best snowfall my home county of Hampshire has received in decades. Every year I waited patiently for a snow event and every year I was disappointed. The only winter in my life that I am out of the UK and the unthinkable happens! Seeing photos of the house buried comes as no consolation I can tell you. :(

You can bet your bottom dollar that next winter will be decent too as I won't be around then either. :lol:

Posted

Have to say this is turning into even less of an event than Feb 09 in terms of the white stuff. For deep and sustained cold, certainly the worst for a number of years, but in my area doesn't hold a candle to Feb '91.

That was 'proper' snow like central southern england got earlier in the week. This weekend will not deliver anything close to the totals we saw then for our area. It just seems to be a constant 'threat' of severe weather which almost always end up being empty! If this weekend doesn't yield at least 6" of snow then you would have to say that for EA at least this cold spell has been rather tame in terms of snowfall after xmas.

Nice to see others getting it though. :)

Edited by Mullet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

my whine is why cant the regional cold spell threads be put in their own section?..instead of clogging up the seasonal winter section...i always found the seasonal thread one of the most interesting now it is just cluttered full of will it snow in the next 5 mins in my shed or there was a snowflake reported in my aunties garden five miles away.

all the topics of interest have been swamped and lost in the madness :D

Posted

I'm getting quite peeved off with the pictures of the country covered in Snow when All I can see is blue skys, and a light smattering on the ground here!!!! :D Whats the point of it being so cold if we dont get the snow?!? NOT happy bunny! I just want snow, almost everyone else has it.... Hmph mad.gifmega_shok.gif

Posted

This is my first post, and it's a little whine (a whinette?). The BBC London forecasts for yesterday and today consistently suggested snow showers for the capital, even when it was fairly obvious little of note was going to happen. Even at 1.30 yesterday Peter Cockroft said 2-5cms in the afternoon and what did we get? Bugger all. Same today. There seems to me to be a lot of 'playing safe' from the BBC. 'If we say it'll snow, no-one will blame is when it doesn't,' kinda thing. Shouldn't really complain as we still have 3 inches from Wednesday. But still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I want to whine.

I have had more than three weeks with 100% snow cover in my South facing garden. On 19 of those days I have seen snow fall at some point and on one day there was even thundersnow. Today will be my 6th ice day.

However we have not had a good dumping or a blizzard yet. Only a few miles away there have been 25/30 cms plus falls and there are reports from all over the country of deep snow. I want at least one good fall before the breakdown; 20cms plus please.[Not with the breakdown though].

Posted

I want to whine.

I have had more than three weeks with 100% snow cover in my South facing garden. On 19 of those days I have seen snow fall at some point and on one day there was even thundersnow. Today will be my 6th ice day.

However we have not had a good dumping or a blizzard yet. Only a few miles away there have been 25/30 cms plus falls and there are reports from all over the country of deep snow. I want at least one good fall before the breakdown; 20cms plus please.[Not with the breakdown though].

EXACTLY the same here Norrance, although the cumulative snow is now 20cm right now, after a 3cm shower just now.

Posted

EXACTLY the same here Norrance, although the cumulative snow is now 20cm right now, after a 3cm shower just now.

Think I'll follow yours and Norrance's grumbles. About 10cm snow on the ground, and word of well over a foot of snow a few miles south and east of me... despite umpteen consecutive days of snow on the ground and subzero temps, I'd like to see a good going blizzard!

But then... if that's all I've got to complain about this year's gotta be pretty good!

sss