Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - November Onwards

Cookie

Posted

I think it depends on the type of location, and how many tall trees are around. On Nov, 1st I was quite pleased with the 50mph gusts because with those sort of gusts, the trees were blowing all over the place. :wacko: Now, on Oct, 27th 2002 the Midlands was experiencing gusts of up to 70mph and talls trees were being 'ripped' around the place, it was truly an awesome sight...it was just wild. In that event, a good amound of trees were brought down. And Jan 18th 2007..well, to me, that was something else.

That's why I get excited when gusts into the high 50s or 60s are forecast for here, because I know how things will look outside where there are loads of trees, with quite a few of them tall. It can get pretty wild inland as gusts are exaggerated much more than they would nearer to the coast.

If there does happen to be an occasion when 80mph gusts are forecast for here, then as well as being excited, I would also be rather concerned as I know alot of trees around my area would be brought down, which I wouldn't like to happen.

well january 2005 set the high bench mark and then this years Jan storm set the bench mark just as high for me.

to actually see on a weather station for a period of time sustained winds of 98 mph and gusts of 105 mph.

thankfully we dont have many tree's here at all.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Damn looking at cached charts.

No secondary feature but a downgrade in the strength of the storm and another slight delay.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

very stormy here now southerly gales means of 40mph, reports of trees down 15 miles form here, been out on the roads and some are impassable now due to flooding and branches.

gfs 6z showing very tight pressure gradient this afternoon up the irish sea with severe gales and storms (which wales is experiancing now.

hold on everyone and stay safe out there.

Posted

gusts getting on for 60mph here, expecting that to increase further this afternoon as the wave moves ne and tightens the gradient.

very heavy bursts of rain and on the verge of major flooding in places in cumbria.

11.6c

Posted

An 89mph gust at Capel Curig during the last hour with Aberdaron experiencing mean wind speeds of 54mph, gusting 70mph.

I dream of winds of that strength to affect here! :D

although a sight to see and feel, 90mph winds in built up areas would result in fatalities

Edited by james12

Posted

An 89mph gust at Capel Curig during the last hour with Aberdaron experiencing mean wind speeds of 54mph, gusting 70mph.

I dream of winds of that strength to affect here! laugh.gif

for info

Capel Curig lies well inside the mountains of North Wales, at about 810 feet with mountains 2500ft or more due south ( Moel Siabod) and hills over 1500ft west and north, close by and over 2500ft further out. Tryfan and Glyder Fach to the west. There is a lake close by just wsw of the cross roads. Its in a valley, with Betws-y-Coed at its eastern end which tends to funnel winds from many directions, especially those with west in it, north or south of west. Its well known for its rainfall and winds-I’ve walked in much of the area several times and flown in by helicopter on 2 or 3 occasions. Quite a dramatic way in. The weather site was, not sure about now, but was located and maintained up to Met O standards whenever I went to it.

Posted

Breezy here with average wind speed of 19.6mph, with gusting to 25.4mph crap really

Is anyone getting sick and tired of this boring weather?

The wind is picking up here, and the average wind speed is around 35mph.

Posted

Lake vyrnway has gusts of 67mph so stronger than the other night,mean speed is lower,some violent gusts today,but not as strong as November 1st here.

Made 55mph on the hand held device for 15 minutes when I was out higher up.

The strongest winds are still to come later especially when the rain hits.

The severn has flooded the fields too,yesterday,and still today but not too high now.

Posted

Looking ahead to what now looks like could be Sunday's storm for Ireland and Monday's storm for England and Wales, all models suggesting there is a good chance that Monday could bring gales or perhaps severe gales across the southern half of the UK

It does seem to be relentless and everybody is sharing for once. Saturday already looks like another windy one :lol:

As much as I know that I shouldn't take one run from one organisation, at more than a day or two out, Sunday night into Monday morning has 'hints' on the GFS:

Rtavn789.png

Rtavn849.png

Rtavn909.png

And a conveyor belt of rain from GEM:

Rgem843.gif

Rgem1083.gif

Wet and windy again?!

post-6667-12586491354711_thumb.gif

Posted

Looking nasty more for the wind then the rain. With ground saturated trees may well come down. Luckily they're not in leaf so that should help. Last thing Cumbria needs is rain then roads blocked by fallen trees. Winds would stop any helicopters flying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The GFS 12z has tightened up the isobars for Sunday night into Monday morning with mean speeds of around 40 mph projected for inland areas from Derbyshire north into northern England for midnight Sunday/Monday.The Met' Office seems to think the strongest winds will be during the day and into the evening on Sunday with gusts of up to 80 mph forecast for the higher levels of the Peak District.

I'd say this has about a 25% chance of turning into something notable.

Posted

The GFS 12z has tightened up the isobars for Sunday night into Monday morning with mean speeds of around 40 mph projected for inland areas from Derbyshire north into northern England for midnight Sunday/Monday.The Met' Office seems to think the strongest winds will be during the day and into the evening on Sunday with gusts of up to 80 mph forecast for the higher levels of the Peak District.

I'd say this has about a 25% chance of turning into something notable.

Also TM we're overdue one as well. Time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Also TM we're overdue one as well. Time will tell.

Yes, Pit, it's been a while since we had a good gale. The last one was Jan' 18th 2007.

Posted

Yes, we certainly have some very windy weather to get through yet.

I'm all for a bit of windy weather, but I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to this

for Wednesday morning

post-5487-12587924146681_thumb.png

Posted

Yes, Pit, it's been a while since we had a good gale. The last one was Jan' 18th 2007.

How would you rate christmas eve 1997 storm that was a loud night.

As for tomorrow that looks like a gale to severe gale to me but nothing too serious.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0a.gif

GFS 0z run really winded it up over Ireland.