Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - November Onwards

Cookie

Yes, we certainly have some very windy weather to get through yet.

I'm all for a bit of windy weather, but I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to this

for Wednesday morning

6z didn't have much to show for Wednesday but the 12z seems pick up on something now,

A very strong south westerly wind I reckon could bring 60-70mph.

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

nasty little low for sunday, surprised not many warnings about this system yet, 75mph gusts likely in places looking at the gfs 12z and 50-60mph inland gusts

Posted

the met office did mention it in the advisory for sunday it will become very windy with 60mph gusts, there forecast for my town has mean speeds of 42mph and gusts 60-65mph and interesting sunday coming up, and more heavy showers for flood hit areas up here

the environment agency have said in the last half hour river levels are rising again.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting theres no warnings about the winds for Sunday ah yes there is need new glasses.

Posted

gfs 18z run showing a potent low moving west across us during sunday and no doubt damaging winds for some, northern ireland, southern scotland, north west england and wales, wouldnt be surprised to see exposed locations reporting gusts in excess of 70mph

and not really a warning to state the wind strength as yet.

vicious looking storm winding up now, sting jet happening?

Edited by james12

Posted

Yep. Lack of visible warnings dire.

expecting met office to issue one soon?! metcheck have severe warning about further rainfall and also this at the end more like it.

In addition to this, gales or severe gales gusting up to 75mph will affect Ireland and areas adjacent to the Irish Sea during Sunday.

Posted

This storm certainly looks loaded especially with the 18z GFS showing a bit of last-minute intensification near Donegal Bay ... would suggest most parts of western Ireland and exposed places elsewhere (including NI) may see gusts to 80 or even 90 mph and can't rule out 100 mph in squally showers or due to topographic forcing ... these very strong winds will gradually develop in Ireland overnight and peak around 0900-1200h. Huge waves, storm surges at high tides, and hail with thunder will also be problems, and renewed flooding could develop as local rainfalls could be heavy despite the showery nature of the precip.

I expect that southwest Scotland and northwest England, north Wales and some parts of central England could see gusts to 70 mph or more by later Sunday, and lee waves could develop for northeast England giving strong gusts locally.

Posted

This storm certainly looks loaded especially with the 18z GFS showing a bit of last-minute intensification near Donegal Bay ... would suggest most parts of western Ireland and exposed places elsewhere (including NI) may see gusts to 80 or even 90 mph and can't rule out 100 mph in squally showers or due to topographic forcing ... these very strong winds will gradually develop in Ireland overnight and peak around 0900-1200h. Huge waves, storm surges at high tides, and hail with thunder will also be problems, and renewed flooding could develop as local rainfalls could be heavy despite the showery nature of the precip.

I expect that southwest Scotland and northwest England, north Wales and some parts of central England could see gusts to 70 mph or more by later Sunday, and lee waves could develop for northeast England giving strong gusts locally.

thanks. Going to be a interesting 24 hours.

Posted

60mph capel curig

70mph aberdaron

could be quite a wind event this storm, warnings are poor

Edited by james12

Posted

latest from Icelandic met office satellite

091121_2200.jpg

http://en.vedur.is/weather/shipping/satellites/#type=atlantic

angry looking off ireland right now, interesting to see wind gusts over western ireland as storm approaches irish met going for 100-120kmh gusts

Posted

Guess this doesn't constitute an alert or warning?

ASII_20091121_2230.png

If there is an alert or warning on here, I'm not seeing it. Maybe it will just fizzle out in the eye of a forecaster?

This is going to wrap soon and become stormy for Ireland, NI initially..

Posted

Winds look like dropping away in your area over the next few hours cookie:

NMM wind gust forecasts:

Now (23z forecast)

post-2-12588454652659_thumb.png

3am

post-2-12588454644795_thumb.png

By lunchtime tomorrow it's ireland & english channel coasts seeing the strongest winds

post-2-12588454619273_thumb.png

Then up the irish channel, affecting coastal regions

post-2-12588454628661_thumb.png

Then inland and through the english channel

post-2-12588454637164_thumb.png

Posted

weatheronline mentioning 70-80mph gusts and metcheck mention 75mph, wheres the met office at with this? they are supposed to be doing us a 'service'

Posted

Well, it's not very obvious if you are stuck on the forum - I still don't see any "flash alerts or warnings" evident within the forum.

Should I just F5 refresh every so often?