Cold?
IGNORED

Derby Tornado

ItIsGee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
Posted

As posted in convective discussion earlier:

TORNADO is believed to have hit Derby this afternoon.

Heavy winds and gusty weather hit Littleover at about 1.30pm today, striking Dennis Close, Leslie Close and Matthew Way. Firefighters said they had been called out to the area and the Met Office has confirmed the conditions were in place for tornadic activity.

www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk

Here: maps.google.co.uk

Tornado strike damages buildings

Dozens of homes in Derbyshire have been damaged by what is believed to have been a tornado.

Garage doors and roof tiles were ripped off properties in the Dennis Close and Haven Baulk Avenue areas of Littleover just after 1330 GMT. One eyewitness described being in the area as, "like driving into a washing machine".

The emergency services are now inspecting nearby buildings to make sure they are safe. There are no reports of any injuries.

news.bbc.co.uk

13.00 hrs:

post-6667-12589948641131_thumb.gif

Information still coming in, but no one is confirming it officially yet.

Eyewitness audio account: news.bbc.co.uk

Posted

I'll be (hopefully) doing a onsite investigation tomorrow morning to assess the damage, although by the reports it seems the Tarpaulins will already be up to stem the rainfall so any evident damage to masonry will be hard to spot.

At the time this event occured there was significant inflow/outflow from a T-Boundary which was seperate from the Developing low to its North, this brought intense ppn to this part of Derbyshire for some 10-20 minutes as it was convectivally allowed to develop by itself. Assessing wether this was Tornadic or SLW should be relatively easy once confirmation is found by damage on the ground. Until then we only have the radar signatures to go by.

Posted

Here are some of the Radar returns from 12:40-12:55 across Littleover showing a strong core for a time. Though this doesn't fit within the time of one of the reports.

Have a look a little earlier, around 1.00pm as above, I think it's a witness versus remembering time thing :lol:

Posted

The 1255 core is the most likely candidate imo, its had time to at least get *some* rotational characteristics to it before it dissipates before getting to Nottingham.

Posted

Just got back from a lecture on catostrophic ice collapses and if indeed 'dozen's of houses have been damaged this is fairly catostrophic as tornado damage goes in the UK, will be interested to see the site investigation. I wonder how long the path was? Hopefully nobody was hurt.

Posted

The 1255 core is the most likely candidate imo, its had time to at least get *some* rotational characteristics to it before it dissipates before getting to Nottingham.

Well, not long after that we had some freakish weather in Nottingham, so potential hangover from that cell?

Posted

Sounds and looks like it could very well be a tornadic event.

I still dont understand why the Met Office never mention tornados in there forecasts because they do happen in the UK and do cause damage.

Edit: just had a look at the radar images using the postcode DE23 4BP which is Dennis Close and the only possible cell is at 12:55 and 13:00, everything seems to be North of the area.

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

Sounds and looks like it could very well be a tornadic event.

I still dont understand why the Met Office never mention tornados in there forecasts because they do happen in the UK and do cause damage.

Edit: just had a look at the radar images using the postcode DE23 4BP which is Dennis Close and the only possible cell is at 12:55 and 13:00, everything seems to be North of the area.

This isn't relevant to this thread so sorry mods, maybe we should have another thread for this?

But anyway, the met office don't forecast tornadoes because there is no point. There is no way to protect yourself from them other than staying at home in a central room all day, which considering how ambiguous tornado forecasts are would mean half the country being scared by something there is really no need to be afraid of. The money could be much better spend on something like road safety, where there is a real chance of injury or death. It is an interesting debate though.

I might add that you are very correct in saying that they are a notable part of our weather in some respects and do cause damage but I just don't think there is any real use of telling people 'east anglia might have a small tornado today, tie your shed down', etc. Quite simply tornado forecasting in the UK is a waste of money for any purpose other than in the weather enthusiast community. Anyway, just my view, and presumably that of the met office too. I'm sure others will disagree with me Jamo. smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The storm in Lincolnshire was associated with the same rainband, so it looks like quite a few strong cells formed within it. Someone reported the Lincolnshire storm on here, noting how strong the wind was. So, it is possible there could have been a funnel or weak tornado across this region too, which may have not been seen.

Here are the radar returns over Lincolnshire at 13:45 and 14:00 - this band of rain which affected Derbyshire. Note the strong convective line at 14:00, which I think would have brought the strong convective gusts reported. So it looks as if some interesting convective activity took place across the north and east parts of the Midlands.

post-9715-12589983009823_thumb.pngpost-9715-12589983975555_thumb.png

That convective line passed over my house just before 1:00pm (see attached radar grab).... there was a minute or so time frame of very strong gusts and torrential 'slushy' rain, making icy splatches on the ground...The winds were strong enough to blow down a fence panel and overturn the garden hammock, so I'd be very interested to guess what the winds speeds were..60-70 mph perhaps?

post-4149-12590002486201.txt

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Not really convinced by the photos and by the radar returns that what looks like a squall line could have produced a tornado ... seems more likely to have been straight-line wind damage.

Sometimes strong wind downbursts can create swirling eddies around buildings that create the illusion of some kind of vortex.

Posted

Not really convinced by the photos and by the radar returns that what looks like a squall line could have produced a tornado ... seems more likely to have been straight-line wind damage.

Sometimes strong wind downbursts can create swirling eddies around buildings that create the illusion of some kind of vortex.

same here Nick my first thoughts to...

People will be surprised what straight line winds can do...

we had straight line winds from a squall line here a few yrs back and even blew a few window;s out in town..

Paper,s were calling it a Twister until it was verified as Strong STRAIGHT LINE WINDS

ask Paul.S about the Telegraph poles :)

joke Paul :unknw:

dont leave me in a Kansas field with a f5..plzzz

Edited by dogs32

Posted

i live/work in the area, i know this may not be very helpful but at 1pm I noticed out of nowhere it had got very dark and then we had a really heavy downpour accompnied by strong winds which lasted about 15/20minutes..

Posted

Well, I dont live that far away, but have to admit, I didnt see anything unusual here.

We've had the odd strong gust today (like quite a few places), and the odd squally shower (like quite a few places), but no Tornado's.

Saying that, Littleover build quality is not very good :)

Mind you, Mrs SB1 genuinely woke up in the night thinking she heard an explosion.

Fortunately, I just told her it was the*/my* wind.

*Delete as applicable

Posted

Yesterday at around 2pm we had the most odd storm, one that I have never seen outside Spain. [where they come flying through the Gavarres Mountains in Summer and you get two mins to close the windows and shutters]

We had a very small tornado like system where I live, the rain was heavy and horizontal and swirled around like a mini tornado filled with leaves and twigs and the wind was howling.

It lasted around 25 mins and all local roads were flooded.

My Father also agreed that he had never seen anything like it here in his lifetime, o.k he is 25! lol. 73 really.

Our Houses shook with the wind and every window in the House was covered in rain. You could not see over 20 yards in front of you.

Shame I was not quick enough to film it. Just stood there awe struck.

I saw a Tornado in south Wales in the 70's. For the life of me I can't remember what the Americans call these squalls.

But the House creaked as it tried to lift the tiles.

Amazing stuff, although grateful no damage was done other than mild flooding. I am quite high up where I am so rain goes downhill from here thankfully.

All traffic in the high road came to a halt as people could not see where they were going.

Stunning.

Posted

What I would say, looking at thye pictures on the BBC, is if it were a Tornado, wouldnt the contents of the garage where the wall collapsed (and the bins in some of the pictures) have been disturbed?

Looks perhaps more like some strong winds and heavy rain causing damage on perhaps some weak structure?

Posted

Well it's given the media the opportunity to break out that old 'Mini Tornado' moniker, I wonder what would happen if we got a Maxi-Tornado or Mega-Tornado? :rofl: But like a lot of stories, it gets bigger with each time it's retold:

A tornado ripped through Littleover in Derby leaving a trail of devastation in its wake.

A Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "The incident – a mini-tornado – affected numerous properties, taking around 50 tiles off properties, and damaging houses and garages." She said firefighters were removing dangerous tiles, and police were also on hand for "crowd control".

Eyewitness Richard Bryan, who was driving in Littleover at the time, told the BBC it felt like driving into a washing machine. He said: "A wall of water and wind just hit the car with terrific force and almost stopped it." "I got the wipers on full pelt and, when the window cleared, all I could see were three dustbins...and the wind picked them up and they actually flew into the air."

www.guardian.co.uk

Tornado left area looking like a war zone... or a scene from a disaster film

As wheelie bins spiralled into the air and roof tiles rained down from the sky, all Haydn Martin could do was watch in shock. Seconds earlier, he had seen his own wheelie bin wrenched from his driveway and tossed about with those of his neighbours.

Seconds later, the twisted metal of his television aerial slammed onto his driveway, crashing down only an inch away from his car.

A brick garage was battered into piles of rubble, the roof of a garden shed was plucked off and thrown into the air, fences were smashed into pieces and blown across pavements and a 50ft tree was snapped in two.

But as quickly as the mini tornado that ravaged parts of Littleover had started, it was over. Stunned and frightened, the residents of Dennis Close, Leslie Close, Maypole Lane and Matthew Way emerged from their homes to count the cost of the violent storm.

Yet, despite thousands of pounds of damage being heaped on their doorsteps in a matter of seconds, many of them remained upbeat. Mr Martin, who with his wife Avril watched the storm tear through the street, said he had never seen anything like it.

The 67-year-old, of Dennis Close, said: "I was inside, just pottering about in the house, when Avril shouted for me to go to the kitchen.

"I ran in and looked out the window and I could barely see anything because the rain was that heavy. "But I could see wheelie bins spinning around in the street and roof tiles were just flying off houses. A few of our roof tiles came off as well."

The door of a garage on the corner of Dennis Close and Leslie Close was torn off and tossed aside while the building's brick wall was blown apart. The garage's flat roof, which was all that remained after the tornado which struck at about 1.30pm, was held up only by a fridge kept inside. Chris Woodward, who lives there, had been driving home when she noticed roof tiles scattered in the road. But the 61-year-old said she did not realise the true extent of the damage until she turned a corner and saw her own home.

She said: "I don't know what would have been worse – being out and coming home to this or being home when it happened. I probably would have died of fright if I'd been home.

"I'd been visiting a friend and I got back to this. It's shocking – I just couldn't believe my eyes. We were supposed to be going to London on Tuesday but I suppose we'll have to cancel that."

Mrs Woodward's son, Andy, said he had been shopping in Derby when the tornado hit Littleover. The 28-year-old said: "When I came back I saw some neighbours' fences had blown down before I noticed the garage. I was just in disbelief.

"It looks a bit like a war zone or a scene from a low-budget disaster film. The important thing is nobody was hurt." As the tornado tore through Maypole Lane, mother-of-three Claire Cunningham had to dash into her porch and hold her front door while her bins hammered against it.

She said: "The bins were banging and banging on the door – it was quite scary. Then I heard a massive crack and a crash and ran to the back of the house. "The tree in our garden had snapped near the bottom and fell along a few gardens. It's lucky it didn't fall any other way because it would have smashed into somebody's house." Claire's husband Michael said it was also lucky that streets in the area had their bins emptied yesterday morning, hours before the tornado hit. He said: "It's a good job they were empty because it would have been a real mess. Bottles, jars, food – all of it would have been thrown everywhere."

Jenny Milner, who lives in Dennis Close, said her car was damaged after a row of wheelie bins were blown straight at it. She said: "The wind was making the door of our greenhouse rattle so I went out to see if I could secure it.

"Then the rushing got louder and I ran back inside and looked out of the window. A few wheelie bins just flew up the road and smacked my car but luckily it wasn't badly damaged.

"One of my neighbours said he looked out and saw a bin just 'walking' up the road on its own. It was incredible." Jenny's mother, Sue, braved pouring rain to carry a tray holding a kettle, mugs, milk, sugar and teabags to one of her neighbours who was left without power.

She said: "There was a sort of Dunkirk spirit out on the street – everyone was out there trying to help out." While heavy rain continued to batter the street, a procession of tilers and joiners appeared to help patch together more than 50 damaged homes.

One tiler, who asked not to be named, said it was hard to estimate the cost of the tornado but said some residents could face bills of over £1,000, which could be covered by insurance policies.

Firefighters from Ascot Drive and Kingsway stations joined scores of soaked tilers on roofs to make them safe. Nick O'Key, from Derbyshire fire and rescue, said: "I came out to assess the damage but it was quickly obvious that we needed more assistance and resources.

"We were confronted with a myriad of roofing contractors. Our priority was to make sure the roofs were safe. "If members of the public have any worries about the condition of their houses, get in touch with the fire service."

Mick Henman, head of building consultancy at Derby City Council, said: "Our building control team led the fire services by giving advice about making the area safe. We also helped cleared some debris from the road." A Met Office spokesman said winds of 50 to 60mph had hit Derby, with rain of 10mm falling in the short space of an hour.

He said: "In those sort of conditions, there is the potential for damage and the ingredients are in place for tornadic activity.

"But tornadoes in this country are incredibly localised and last for only a few minutes at most, so the weather in Littleover could have been a tornado."

Stuart Robinson, from the Tornado and Storm Research Organisation, said: "It's too early to say what hit Littleover was a tornado without doing a ground survey but, given the line of weather travelling across the country, it is very possible."

www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk

I'm sure Stuart will be delighted to be mentioned in the same article as the phrase 'mini-tornado' :rofl:

Video coverage from the BBC:

news.bbc.co.uk

and just in case you wondered.......

WINDS of up to 60mph battered Nottingham today, but no Met Office officials say there wasn't a tornado. A spokesman for the Met Office said there were "squalls" of wind at around 1pm, which made rain swirl around.

He also confirmed that there had been a tornado in Littleover, near Derby. "Tornadoes leave a trail of destruction," he said. "This includes roofs being destroyed and windows sucked in. "This happened in Derby but not in Nottingham, though there were very strong winds there."

www.thisisnottingham.co.uk

ESSL report:

tornado

Littleover England

United Kingdom (52.90 N, 1.52 W)

23-11-2009 (Monday) 13:04 UTC (+/- 15 min.)

based on: information from a television or radio broadcast, photograph(s) and/or video footage of the inflicted damage, a report on a website

land use: land l

and use where event was first observed: land

the intensity rating was based on photograph(s) and/or video footage of the inflicted damage.

tornado reported from Derby region, under investigation; source: UKWW Forum; http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp ?tid=33624&start=1; source 2: "Homes damaged in 'tornado' strike", BBC NEWS CHANNEL, 23.11.2009; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/derbyshire/8374909.stm

report status: plausibility check passed (QC0+)

www.essl.org