Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cold Spell General Discussion

Posted

And this place will go into Meltdown.

Let's hope the site doesn't Freeze.

Sorry I can't help myself, I'm over excited now, and I've been trying so hard to remain calm. :rolleyes:

Ramp away we have all been waiting sooooo long for synoptics like this to come along.

By Saturday the details will have firmed up and we will have a good idea whats to come IE

how cold, roughly how snowy.

Then it will be just a case of waiting for the first flakes to fall.

Posted

That's nothing, my annual 6th form Christmas football match might be snowed off next Friday cray.gif

I am reffing first half though so I will ensure it goes ahead - even if we have to play it in 6 inches of snow biggrin.gif

Rather you than me :rolleyes:

Still need to remain cautious i think, even thoughthe chances are currently high. There are still ways we could miss out on the best, perhaps that won't happen this time cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Very excited, haven't been on here since the summer, always a heat lover but in winter I always love snow, when we get it! Fingers crossed for plenty of white stuffbiggrin.gif

Posted

How would the Midlands and Wales Fair from this? Will it come down to just how potent the eastlery is or would us Westerners see lying snow to any depth from the current Synoptics? It just seems a lot of the really excited people (with good cause) are from the east/north east. Will this be a non event for us in terms of snow?

Edited by snowhope

Posted

Ramp away we have all been waiting sooooo long for synoptics like this to come along.

By Saturday the details will have firmed up and we will have a good idea whats to come IE

how cold, roughly how snowy.

Then it will be just a case of waiting for the first flakes to fall.

Hi there!

I've been saying for about a week, 'it won't come to fruition, it won't come to fruition', now it's 'oh my word it looks like it's on, please...let it happen.'

I'm off up to Norfolk on Saturday...I don't want to go, I want to stay on here and read the threads.:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am finding it all very stressful trying to contain my excitement i still have a nagging feeling that the whole cold spell looks to good to be true and after so many let downs in the last 20 years I just cannot see its going to happen. I just expect a massive down grade all the time after i have been burnt so many times by eastern promise!air_kiss.gifblink.gif

If it still looks as good by saturday then i shall open the keg and party!drinks.gifyahoo.gifcold.gifshok.gif

Posted

Guillermo on CNN rightly focussed on current events in the U.S. and pointed out that the UK wasn't fairing so "badly" in comparison. Next week the opposite will hopefully be true!

The CNN maps give a broad look at what's happening over Europe, so will be interesting to watch over the coming days. Guillermo's main forecasts air at around 7:45pm and 8:45pm each weeknight. (Freeview ch84)

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

How would the Midlands and Wales Fair from this? Will it come down to just how potent the eastlery is or would us Westerners see lying snow to any depth from the current Synoptics? It just seems a lot of the really excited people (with good cause) are from the east/north east. Will this be a non event for us in terms of snow?

At the moment id say it looks alright for east wales and the midlands. good chance of showers making it inland. think it will be too far for west wales and west country though. We may have to wait for a breakdown for the chance of some fun.dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

hopefully very well, I used to get loads of snow from easterlies, convective and frontal, but that was before the christmas pudding, not as cold nowadays, but if 12Z comes off snow for wales and midlands

Posted

I don't think it would be non event for snow for western areas. I think the East would see the most snow, but you should still see a fair bit. The best thing for south western areas and wales, south midlands etc... is if we get lows approaching from the south and the very cold air across the UK. Would be very good for you guys if that happened!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I need about 20cm or more so I can say I got the heaviest snow of the decade, beating February 2001, and looking at the charts this is achievable (but obviously I wouldn't want to tempt fate :whistling:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hi everyone could someone telll me would n ireland get much snow from these charts!!!

id say yes, convection from Irish sea, and maybe frontal from S or SW

Posted

Hey, i have a couple of questions, and cant find the answers anywhere- been to the learning area

1.whats a 12z?

2. Whats an 850?

3. How do you understand that german chart site

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

id say yes, convection from Irish sea, and maybe frontal from S or SW

Not as much convection as in the east, a potent easterly / north easterly can deliver up to a few inches from convective snow showers over there I'd believe, and quite a lot more from battleground scenarios! I'm not 100% sure though as I'm not that familiar with the local climate.

Posted

I don't think it would be non event for snow for western areas. I think the East would see the most snow, but you should still see a fair bit. The best thing for south western areas and wales, south midlands etc... is if we get lows approaching from the south and the very cold air across the UK. Would be very good for you guys if that happened!

Problem is when that happens we normaly see rain after the snow as warm air moves in.cc_confused.gif

Posted

Hey, i have a couple of questions, and cant find the answers anywhere- been to the learning area

1.whats a 12z?

2. Whats an 850?

1. 12z is the time of the run i.e 12pm

2. 850mb is the height on the charts you get 500, 850 and others all heights 500 simpler to understand

3. Learn German or go to NW Extra and read the same charts in english

Hope this helps

Posted

Problem is when that happens we normaly see rain after the snow as warm air moves in.cc_confused.gif

not in 81 or 82...lol....egg on there faces with the snow going to turn to rain...It didnt in the Midlands as we ended up with 1.ft of snow :whistling:

though on occasion's it as

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Due to how cold it could be then i think this would be very unlikely, depends how far north they get. If they generally stayed to the south then it would be fantastic. Of course this spell is not definite yet. But its getting more likely by the day

Posted

1. 12z is the time of the run i.e 12pm

2. 850mb is the height on the charts you get 500, 850 and others all heights 500 simpler to understand

3. Learn German or go to NW Extra and read the same charts in english

Hope this helps

Funnily i know quite a bit of german, but weather isnt a strong subject, i dont know what weather gfs chart is,

thanks anyway

Posted

Where's Ian Brown tonight? Busy plotting a previously unforeseen chapter in his book perhaps?

"The End of The christmas pudding." whistling.gif

haha i expect he is plotting the end of our cold spell as we dream of it starting.dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

The Midlands isn't the South West tho...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

1.whats a 12z?

2. Whats an 850?

A 12Z is part of the GFS model that runs from 15:30 to 16:45 an 850 is an upper air tempure catorgy and here is the chart section of the german chart site: http://www.wzkarten.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html if you don't understand it use google toolbar

Hope this explains things

SnowMadSam