Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

You think you're old? I can remember the winter of 1963! You aint seen snow until you've experienced that!

cold.gif

And me, at the tender age of 7 I can remember seeing drifts that were higher than a telephone box ( And that's even more impressive when you are little) and wading the 250 yards (OK, 200 Metres) to my Gran's house with Snow drifts that were bigger than me.

I now live on the other side of the country and, talking with of the 'Norfolk old boys' He was talking of 1947 where the roads were dug out every day by Italian Prisoners of war ( yes they were still in the country - I was surprised too) only to be covered again later in the day and overnight. The villages around here were cut off for 8 weeks. In this day and age we'd have huge problems with that type of weather

Posted

And me, at the tender age of 7 I can remember seeing drifts that were higher than a telephone box ( And that's even more impressive when you are little) and wading the 250 yards (OK, 200 Metres) to my Gran's house with Snow drifts that were bigger than me.

I now live on the other side of the country and, talking with of the 'Norfolk old boys' He was talking of 1947 where the roads were dug out every day by Italian Prisoners of war ( yes they were still in the country - I was surprised too) only to be covered again later in the day and overnight. The villages around here were cut off for 8 weeks. In this day and age we'd have huge problems with that type of weather

I think you have seen proper winter's there...I thought my last few decades was good.70's 80's....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

From an IMBY perspective I hope the ECMWF comes off as I would like some kind of very cold snowy easterly to come off but would prefer not to have any major disruption to my train journey from Norwich to Newcastle on the 17th. On the ECM, the snowfest begins overnight 17th/18th and continues during the 18th in eastern England.

In contrast many other runs, which have the shortwave slipping SE more quickly, have the main focus of potential on the 17th.

The longer-term outlook looks distinctly interesting too with a cyclonic/northerly regime and the jet well to the south.

Posted

Yes the ECM shows an Easterly with snow showers packing in to the East Coast, on the 17th and 18th, then a transition to a Northerly by the 20th, so a cold Christmas week in prospect

Nice chart here:

http://www.meteociel...un/ECH0-168.GIF

GFS 18z pub run starts in about 30 mins time

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Thursday

Day weather 12.gif?v32_8Light Rain

5°C 41°F Max. Day North Westerly8mph 13km/h 91% 1018mB Good Thursday

Night weather 9.gif?v32_8Light Rain Shower

4°C 39°F Min. Night

This data unavailable for night

The bbc having a little joke there i think they are going to be so wrong its unbelieveable ! :D

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Thursday

Day weather 12.gif?v32_8Light Rain

5°C 41°F Max. Day North Westerly8mph 13km/h 91% 1018mB Good Thursday

Night weather 9.gif?v32_8Light Rain Shower

4°C 39°F Min. Night

This data unavailable for night

The bbc having a little joke there i think they are going to be so wrong its unbelieveable ! :D

Im forecasted sleet next Thursday, the Met Office may forecast something different (Snow maybe?), I will see in the morning what they have forecasted

Im forecasted snow all day next Friday by Netweather! :), with a max temp of 1C! :)

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

The bbc are drinking mild beer tonight lol that will 100% be snow :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The bbc are drinking mild beer tonight lol that will 100% be snow drinks.gif

Absolutely, even Dundee is forecast light rain and 5C! Mind you, that means they're forecasting reasonable amounts of precipitation, which was always the real concern on Thursday, so really it is very good news, as it means they are obviously not going with the 12Z UKMO run!

Posted

The bbc are drinking mild beer tonight lol that will 100% be snow :winky:

That would probably be right in truthness Snowstorm1 if the UKMO occurs as it is showing a much weaker airflow therefore the showers would be of rain and not snow.

LS - they are following the UKMO 12Z(obviously) as the beeb always follows the latest UKMO charts hence why the temp is 5C and not lower because of what i said above.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

The cold continues here. Its dropped below freezing -0.5C for the 3rd night now, hopefully this will cool the ground nicely for some settling snow from Wednesday onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

bbc only giving me sleet shower with a NW wind 5mph on thursday, the UKMO model looks very uneventful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

found this on accuweather uk

iwsuk1.jpg