Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Yep Snowking but as I've said before they don't actually mention any details past the 20th, they simply don't know because there is a massive amount of scatter about what will happen on the ECM ensembles which they wil lno doubt get the full data for.

It'd be an arctic northerly and the importantly a cyclonic one, most of ours tend to be dmonated by a toppler high with the main instablity to our east, the best northerly I can remember was actually in November 2005, that was a proper northerly.

However its very risky, esp if the low sets up too far west, if that happens then our cold spell could end pretty quickly....but thats a long way in the future yet.

I know I posted this just now but the previous thread is just about to close. Reference that November 2005 event, who on here would have gone for quite such a good chart on the 25th after the one on the 22nd?

post-5114-12605370380376_thumb.jpg

post-5114-12605371127004_thumb.jpg

Posted

The contrast between places that have fog and those that don't is quite impressive I have to say, big range of temperatures at the moment.

Generally temps anything between 2-6C though the SE seems a little milder, getting upto 6-8C generally it seems.

Still seems to be a pretty cold day overall in quite a few locations, I'd imagine tonight will be just as cold as last night if not a little colder given the lower base point from which some places are starting from.

Its beginning to look as though the Big Freeze englulfing Europe next week is not really effect the UK very

much at all.Yes before anyone jumps on my back,it will be cold,seasonal and in the main dry,but the artic air

we are all so keen to see is heading south/south east.We may catch the very edge of the cold pool for a brief

time but all in all its going to miss us.

Im more interested in the loner term pattern,we desperately need the high to hang on as far North as posible

to push the Atlantic systems south.

Im disappointed in some rgds but also happy that its not rain rain rain all the way.

Posted

I actually find the Met Office press release as encouraging.

They are obviously covering some bases here but they have on there 6-15 day forecast becoming increasingly bullish about the prospect of snow and very cold weather. I wonder how much they are actually relying on the models and how much is "forecaster skill" ?

Posted

yes i know what it looks like but just best to hold on for few more days yet...

Have to think postively or just give up.

Im going to wait until Sunday night at least before I throw in the towel :cold:

Just hope my waiting pay's off....If not back to the drawing board for the next threat..

and USA Snownado watching :whistling:

oh and keep away from the Model Thread as I think there might be a riot at some point :good:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Looking at the Fax charts, I'd suggest that Scotland's main problem over the weekend will be freezing fog???

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Looking at the Fax charts, I'd suggest that Scotland's main problem over the weekend will be freezing fog???

fog setting in at night but lifting quite quickly in the mornings so far no problems with fog ATM here in Glasgow but does look set to change

Posted

At least we're in the very early part of Winter so plenty of time for snow, which I'm sure most of us will see some of over the next few months. Even if a strong north easterly flow did materialise, even though here would see some nice snowfall, I'm not so sure it be as good as a strong north westerly, or a 'battelground' scenario (Feb 2007) where milder air pushes up against colder air already situated over the UK.

That's a point I've been trying to get across, we're ONLY in December. Plenty of time yet for the cold to really dig into the northern hemisphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Some people are born pessimists :whistling:

Perhaps it would be better if the weather we saw in November just continued...:cold:

Posted

The contrast between places that have fog and those that don't is quite impressive I have to say, big range of temperatures at the moment.

Generally temps anything between 2-6C though the SE seems a little milder, getting upto 6-8C generally it seems.

Still seems to be a pretty cold day overall in quite a few locations, I'd imagine tonight will be just as cold as last night if not a little colder given the lower base point from which some places are starting from.

Dense fog here in Leicester; was freezing fog earlier for sure, whilst now the sun is trying (but failing) to break through. Temp is hovering at 3/4c.

EDIT: Oh here we go... must be a slow news days if fog is the main headline.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1234966/Temperatures-plummet-3C-winter-weekend-sweeps-in.html

EDIT 2: North America is in the grip of cold at the moment - some amazing depths in these photos.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8407256.stm

Edited by Tommyd1258

However, Paul Michaelwaite, forecaster for netweather.tv, was less reticent about the chances of snow on Christmas Day. He predicted the cold spell would last "right through Christmas".

"There are no certainties. I'd say 30% to 40% risk of snow [on Christmas Day] – not a bad risk two weeks away."

Some encouraging words from paul off netweather expecting the cold spell to last through christmas i see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

its very cold here in frome somerset foggy and with a temp of 1.8C wasnt expecting it to be this cold and was expecting a little more sun as given by the local forcast last night he ho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I hope you all have your thermal underwear ready for next week guys, checkout the Metcheck forecast fro London for a week today:

Weather Forecast in London for Friday 18 December

Location InformationSun InformationMoonToolsLat : 51.5NLon : 0.1WASL : 15mRise : 8:00 GMTSet : 15:51 GMT.gif-- Select -- Print Forecast SMS Forecasts Weather Sticky Metric/Imperial Videos google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);DayFromUntilTempFeelsUVRainCloudDirSpeedGustWeatherFri 18 Dec0:002:59-4 °c-23 °c00.0 mm8 %WNW.gif300 mph360 mphNFA.gif3:005:59-4 °c-22 °c00.0 mm21 %W.gif268 mph321 mphNFA.gif6:008:59-3 °c-20 °c00.0 mm82 %WNW.gif282 mph338 mphNPC.gif9:0011:592 °c-14 °c00.0 mm83 %WNW.gif286 mph343 mphPC.gif12:0014:592 °c-15 °c10.0 mm13 %W.gif276 mph331 mphFA.gifnext_7.gif

Bit breezy don't you all think? rofl.gif

Are we expecting a snow tornado?? help.gif

Edited by mam500

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

I hope you all have your thermal underwear ready for next week guys, checkout the Metcheck forecast fro London for a week today:

Location InformationSun InformationMoonToolsLat : 51.5NLon : 0.1WASL : 15mRise : 8:00 GMTSet : 15:51 GMT.gif-- Select -- Print Forecast SMS Forecasts Weather Sticky Metric/Imperial Videos google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);DayFromUntilTempFeelsUVRainCloudDirSpeedGustWeatherFri 18 Dec0:002:59-4 °c-23 °c00.0 mm8 %WNW.gif300 mph360 mphNFA.gif3:005:59-4 °c-22 °c00.0 mm21 %W.gif268 mph321 mphNFA.gif6:008:59-3 °c-20 °c00.0 mm82 %WNW.gif282 mph338 mphNPC.gif9:0011:592 °c-14 °c00.0 mm83 %WNW.gif286 mph343 mphPC.gif12:0014:592 °c-15 °c10.0 mm13 %W.gif276 mph331 mphFA.gifnext_7.gif

Metcheck's been in a pickle all day.......:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

its very cold here in frome somerset foggy and with a temp of 1.8C wasnt expecting it to be this cold and was expecting a little more sun as given by the local forcast last night he ho.

It is bitter here also. very cold with frost still on the ground. 0.9ccold.gif

Posted

Hi G-G!! You must be in the city centre or away from the west of Glasgow. It has been foggy here for almost 24 hours now (8 miles NW-ish of Glasgow Airport), latest METAR for Glasgow Airport: EGPF 111350Z 00000KT 0250 R05/0400 R23/0450 FG VV/// 02/02 Q1034 =

I have highlighted the FG part as that means (as if you didn't know) fog. It has been virtually unchanged since last night, sometimes mist, sometimes shallow fog, but almost consistently fog. I saw from the traffic cams earlier that it has been glorious sunshine at times across Glasgow. Lucky you!!

http://wxweb.meteost...=10&submit.y=13

no not in city centre at all i am around 8 miles south west from the city but honestly fog not a problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some 'nice' windchill??? :):):cold::)

Posted

Some 'nice' windchill??? :) :) :cold::)

i don't know why the models are showing these crazy wind speeds

Posted

Thick fog here all day making temps not going above 2C, so a nice "wintry" feel to the day albeit it without the snow.

I would guess with a light breeze coming in off the North sea that the fog won't last all day unlike today but i expect another foggy and frosty night.

Posted

Thick fog here all day making temps not going above 2C, so a nice "wintry" feel to the day albeit it without the snow.

I would guess with a light breeze coming in off the North sea that the fog won't last all day unlike today but i expect another foggy and frosty night.

aye tis a pea souper out there now lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

No fog here, just clear skies all day, it's turning chilly now though