Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

i took the daughter to work at 1pm (slaley hall)and it was wall to wall sunshine.the trees on the way in were still covered in frost,it looked beautiful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thick fog here all day making temps not going above 2C, so a nice "wintry" feel to the day albeit it without the snow.

I would guess with a light breeze coming in off the North sea that the fog won't last all day unlike today but i expect another foggy and frosty night.

You will probably see the fog suddenly vanish and a huge jump in temperature as the breeze picks up off the sea.

I remember a spell of bright frosty weather in the middle of January 2001 at Cleadon when on one evening, the temperature fell to around -3C and there were patches of freezing fog that showed increasing signs of drifting from east to west as the evening progressed. Nonetheless, the temperature continued slowly falling- presumably the warming effects of the sea must have been confined to the extreme coastal fringe.

At around midnight, the temperature fell to a low of -4.2C, still with patches of freezing fog.

I woke up at 3am that morning and it was stratocumulus, +3.8C and rising rapidly.

Posted

Dense fog here in Leicester; was freezing fog earlier for sure, whilst now the sun is trying (but failing) to break through. Temp is hovering at 3/4c.

EDIT: Oh here we go... must be a slow news days if fog is the main headline.

http://www.dailymail...-sweeps-in.html

:cold: the caption reads

Cold start: London Bridge, like large swathes of Britain, was shrouded in fog this morning.

and they show a picture of TOWER Bridge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I suspect that I'm in one of the lucky locations that nearly every GFS run has looked good for...where as it has chopped/changed its mine further north and west...so Im certainly hoping (fingers crossed) for some of the white stuff next week. I also like cold foggy and crisp - much more seasonal - and with some more excitement expected later next week this is certianly getting me nicely in the mood for Xmas!! The negaitivity by some is a tad annoying though, and I try and ignore this as much as possible. We just need hte cold, the ppn and snow will sort itself out - we have never pinpointed detail with snow days in advance, it oftne comes out of the blue and surprises us all. So Chin-up guys, next week and thereafter is all to play for! and for the SE even the end of the weekend could be interesting...heres hoping :cold:

Posted

been clear allday here with a daytime max of 0oC at 1245, the frost hasnt shifted except in sunlit areas and the puddles are still frozed, the drops of melted frost off the roofs have started to freeze in little puddles on the ground already. Crisp winter weather. Oh yeah and metcheck had wind at 346mph with -28oC wind chill for grampian on thursday...hope so!! :yahoo:

Wow there is alot of negativity around on the forums with people making threads up moaning before the event has even passed, the synoptics are terrific and surprises will pop up, it could be a lot lot worse like december 1988 for example.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1988/Rrea00119881211.gif

TWO wouldn't slow down to a crawl for the 12Z's with a month like that :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Exactly Eugene my points exactly....the cold is coming, so I'm sure something exciting will pop up out of nowhere. Last winter there was a couple of occasions where events just happened and no one had a clue till just hours beforehand...happens every time! But people forget way too easily...

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Exactly Eugene my points exactly....the cold is coming, so I'm sure something exciting will pop up out of nowhere. Last winter there was a couple of occasions where events just happened and no one had a clue till just hours beforehand...happens every time! But people forget way too easily...

sometimes too much information clouds the bigger picture

Posted

You will probably see the fog suddenly vanish and a huge jump in temperature as the breeze picks up off the sea.

I remember a spell of bright frosty weather in the middle of January 2001 at Cleadon when on one evening, the temperature fell to around -3C and there were patches of freezing fog that showed increasing signs of drifting from east to west as the evening progressed. Nonetheless, the temperature continued slowly falling- presumably the warming effects of the sea must have been confined to the extreme coastal fringe.

At around midnight, the temperature fell to a low of -4.2C, still with patches of freezing fog.

I woke up at 3am that morning and it was stratocumulus, +3.8C and rising rapidly.

Very foggy over here on Welsh Marches, hasn't lifted all day and is getting worse now, also some patches of ice haven't melted all day.

I was a postgrad at UEA(ENV) in 96/97 and whilst not quite as foggy as it is now, the feel of today reminds me of the bitter grey still days we had during Jan/Feb of 97 there. Typical student house as well with no heating and gaps around the doors that let the outside in. I found wearing all my clothes at the same time worked quite well.

M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Latest from the BBC weather chaps.....

Monday 21 December 2009 to Sunday 3 January 2010

This bit covers Christmas Day!

And as usual there is no strong probability of either wet or white!

Indications are for below average temperatures, but for most at least an average amount of rain. So more often than not we will have high pressure giving us frost and sunshine, but with one or two incursions of frontal rain.

If a cold southeasterly wind met Atlantic rain over us then you have the pretty white scenario. Sadly, there is no reason to forecast this at the moment.

Posted

Temps are certainly on the downward slide yesterday 6.9c today 4.1c max and sunny again,until now thick fog has come in from the east at 1.6c hoping it would`ve held off until 6pm.

Posted

to be honest in the short term I would be very happy with a straight northerly of course most on this forum don't favour this for obvious reasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

to be honest in the short term I would be very happy with a straight northerly of course most on this forum don't favour this for obvious reasons

A northerly does provide snow down here, but for the real deal we need a nice battleground with cold air over us first... best from the east as history proves.

Posted

verry frosty morning here -2 at 8am with thick fog geting cold again tonight as i said in my earler poast people geting excited over nothing 0% of snow for the next 3-4 days but gona be cold frosty nights .a bit of a change from wet but exspect the mild to return by next week i base this on the last 5 years weather for winter down here just wish i was wrong ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I can't see it becoming 'mild' all that quickly, everything points to a decent cold spell, whether we get any snow is whole different ball game

Posted

Latest from the BBC weather chaps.....

Monday 21 December 2009 to Sunday 3 January 2010

This bit covers Christmas Day!

And as usual there is no strong probability of either wet or white!

Indications are for below average temperatures, but for most at least an average amount of rain. So more often than not we will have high pressure giving us frost and sunshine, but with one or two incursions of frontal rain.

If a cold southeasterly wind met Atlantic rain over us then you have the pretty white scenario. Sadly, there is no reason to forecast this at the moment.

well it was the latest from the BBC on ...
Published at 09:00 on 7th December