Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

good evening one and all, got a few grains now starting temps falling away, a little bit of a breeze picking up every now and again, no temps right now awaiting some new batteries, will keep you posted.

fromeydrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

good evening one and all, got a few grains now starting temps falling away, a little bit of a breeze picking up every now and again, no temps right now awaiting some new batteries, will keep you posted.

fromeydrinks.gif

Hi fromey, looks like a little rain coming our way judging by the radar. But you can already see behind the main band, it's turning to sleet & snow.

Posted

It's dried up here after light drizzle most the afternoon. Can't seem to get that temp down, must be because I am near the coast.

It did get sleety a bit here this afternoon. But as i was near Poole Quay area it was more rain and turned more sleety as i drove more inland. Temp got to 1c here today!. Notably chillyer compared to recent days. Not really a lot happening now.

Posted

Another rubbish forecast by Richard, ending it by saying temps on the rise after the weekend.

Barely an snow it the whole forecast.

Posted

Another rubbish forecast by Richard, ending it by saying temps on the rise after the weekend.

Barely an snow it the whole forecast.

expect that to change, ive never had any confidance in the guy!!! drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Another terrible west country forecast!

He did say the word snow however he had a glint in his eye when he said it would miss us all.

He also had a glint when he said could be warming up on sunday! frost tonight although i hardly call 0c a real frost, sounds pathetic.

lazy.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifbad.gifbad.gif

On a positive note he did forecast a possible slight dusting on the evening in febuary for me to wake up to over a foot of snow! hmm thats a lie i didnt sleep at all that night! blush.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

So far this cold spell looks crap, all the hype for nothing. Utter tosh.

Posted

looking at the radar its turning to snow on the trialing edge maybe a shout?

That is over the pennines though. I doubt it the temperatures are on the rise. wallbash.gif

Posted

Temp rising here, currently 4.1c, was 3.6c at 5pm.

More light rain to come.

Richard is deffo not a fan of cold weather.

If he is, it doesn't come over in his forecasts.

Posted

My temperature is holding in there at 2.4c still with dew point of 0.5c although once that ppn gets here proper i expect a climb. wallbash.gif If it goes above 3 c i shall retire to the local pub.

Just droped 0.1c whistling.gif 2.3c

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

My temperature is holding in there at 2.4c still with dew point of 0.5c although once that ppn gets here proper i expect a climb. wallbash.gif If it goes above 3 c i shall retire to the local pub.

Just droped 0.1c whistling.gif 2.3c

Similar here - temp 2.0c, DP 0.7c - though surprised you aren't fairing better at your altitude.

The PPN is on your doorstep... so?

edit> is your postcode roughly BA3 4TE (I got it from the guarry address!)

Edited by Mark

Posted

Similar here - temp 2.0c, DP 0.7c - though surprised you aren't fairing better at your altitude.

The PPN is on your doorstep... so?

I have very wet snow starting to fall and temperature has dropped further. 2.2c The problem is this ppn has warm air embedded within it which is why bristol has suddenly hit 4cish i think.

I bet it turns back very soon to rain.

Yes the quarry is just down the hill from me 5 min drive

2.1c....... dew point is 0.2

1.9c!!!!

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

I can't believe how (silently) frustrated I'm feeling about this whole scenario!

I keep having to tell myself that it is the middle of December, and even 25 years ago it was unlikely that we would see much in the way of snow until January, at the earliest <_<

Posted

That is over the pennines though. I doubt it the temperatures are on the rise. wallbash.gif

after a high of 2.0c all day the temp rose here to 2.7 but now with some sleet falling temps have come down to 2.3

mullender dont panic, i remember the feb event it really wasnt looking good here but monday afternoon it snowed and by friday we had 10 inches on the ground which lasted until the following week, and that was forcast as a dusting, you must have got a foot or more

fromeydrinks.gif

Posted

I can't believe how (silently) frustrated I'm feeling about this whole scenario!

I keep having to tell myself that it is the middle of December, and even 25 years ago it was unlikely that we would see much in the way of snow until January, at the earliest mellow.gif

I think we are in the worst place in these kind of marginal set-ups.

If it wasn't marginal, then we would probably be in the best place, especially when the lows move in next week from the south west, but I fear if we are the wrong side of marginal now, then we will be to warm next week.

Posted

after a high of 2.0c all day the temp rose here to 2.7 but now with some sleet falling temps have come down to 2.3

mullender dont panic, i remember the feb event it really wasnt looking good here but monday afternoon it snowed and by friday we had 10 inches on the ground which lasted until the following week, and that was forcast as a dusting, you must have got a foot or more

fromeydrinks.gif

Never know lol BBC are nearly always wrong with snow predictions IMO.

Posted

fromeydrinks.gif

Its cloudy here but nothing is falling again. it seems to be making painfuly slow progress. 1.7c at moment. if i could get some moderate ppn with evap cooling affect i could be in luck at least until milder air filters in with it.

We had over 2 feet of level snow by the end of that week and some was still about right through to march.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Ta GMG

Posted

I think we are in the worst place in these kind of marginal set-ups.

If it wasn't marginal, then we would probably be in the best place, especially when the lows move in next week from the south west, but I fear if we are the wrong side of marginal now, then we will be to warm next week.

Last February we were on the 'right' side of marginal. At the mo, we're in that typical weather 'area' that receives the real cra#py stuff - cold, damp, but not cold enough for snow.wallbash.gif

The thing is people like me were really hoping we'd get a classic late70s/early 80s situ, with a dry few days and the colder air getting entrenched, temps at freezing during the day and then the snow coming a few days down the line. That was what some of the models a week ago were predicting for now and the coming weekend. That would've been like Dec 81.

The current set up is nothing like Dec 81, as some people were predicting a few days ago.