Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Began very lightly drizzling fifteen minutes ago and now lightly sleeting. Temp of 1.9C

Posted

Had some sleet with proper snowflakes at around 11.00 and now awaiting the next pulse of precipitation to see what it'll bring. My partner works on the Salisbury Plain and has reported proper snow falluing and trying to settle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Rain here... 2.8C but the DP is 2.0C

The biggest non event of the winter so far... (safe bet with it being the 16th of December) :lol:

Posted

Rain here... 2.8C but the DP is 2.0C

The biggest non event of the winter so far... (safe bet with it being the 16th of December) :lol:

Was today supposed to be the main event? Im totally lost as the charts are suggesting better things come the end of the week.

Can somebody enlighten me please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Was today supposed to be the main event? Im totally lost as the charts are suggesting better things come the end of the week.

I don't think this is the main event.

I dont even think the cool air has reached us properly yet.

Posted

No, but there is no PPN around towards the end of the week... indeed the met office are going for wall to wall sunshine tomorrow and Friday. (I'm talking for Devon/Cornwall) places in the east of the region may see more of the white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Sleet here, getting eye strain trying to see snowflakes!!!

Posted

Think its sleeting here but hard to say i dont think are region will get hit by any snow apart from flurrys in the east, gloucestershire, wiltshire best chance. Unless any of you can lift my hopes again.

Posted

Wednesday 16th Dec -2°c 4°c 1mm 22% 0% plus.gif Thursday 17th Dec -7°c 4°c 2mm 92% 0% plus.gif Friday 18th Dec -10°c 0°c 1mm 95% 0% plus.gif Saturday 19th Dec -7°c 2°c 1mm 85% 26% plus.gif Sunday 20th Dec -10°c 1°c 0mm 95% 0%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

im working on edge of bristol (80 m) and we have light rain with a touch of sleet. i rekon it could be snow still back home although hard to say. any chance of cooler night temperatures turning this rain to snow this evening?dry.gif

Posted

There does seem to be a band of PPN heading your way overnight, it dissipates before it gets here though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Raining in Nailsea, or light drizzle. Temp 4.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

im working on edge of bristol (80 m) and we have light rain with a touch of sleet. i rekon it could be snow still back home although hard to say. any chance of cooler night temperatures turning this rain to snow this evening?dry.gif

Nope, definitely rain - you're a bit higher and a bit colder than I am but not by much so I'd expect it to be rain in Guerney Slade too. Maybe later eh?

Posted

12Z GFS has quite a lot of snow in the SW this weekend, IF I had to pick somewhere I would say Bristol of a Westerly with showers coming up the channel, Somerset definately with a NW wind and the Moors of Devon which always does well when the wind is slightly more westerly.

Posted

The models and forecast is changing all the time! Will be nice to get this drizzle damp rubbish out the way tonight as it clears from the north.

Still cant see any snow coming our way yet, but with the wind direction turning more westerly over the weekend and no real cold here yet I feel a little worried.

We will see.

Essemblys suggesting the cold spell to last just past christmas.....would be nice for the COLD spell to get here first becaus it hasnt quite yet!

Posted

I think it has in places, 4C for Plymouth today is pretty low (for Plymouth), In N.Dorset I maxed out at 1C. Many other places maxed at 2 or 3.

Maybe not sub 0C but its only Wed which is the very start of the cold, snowy period. !

Chin Up.

It could go in the model thread, but I'll put it here.

I have been chart watching for 10 years and have never seen thicknesses this low with sub 1000 pressure in the SW before.

post-6326-12609805302853_thumb.png

Posted

I think it has in places, 4C for Plymouth today is pretty low (for Plymouth), In N.Dorset I maxed out at 1C. Many other places maxed at 2 or 3.

Maybe not sub 0C but its only Wed which is the very start of the cold, snowy period. !

Chin Up.

It could go in the model thread, but I'll put it here.

I have been chart watching for 10 years and have never seen thicknesses this low with sub 1000 pressure in the SW before.

FI.

Just like all the models, brilliant in FI. Then when we reach that date very different. This has happend since begining of last week. People on the forum last wednesday and thursday saying the word 'nailed' in regards to freezing temps for this week! The weekend is forecast for a little colder but that is still FI.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

FI ?

But yeah.

If that came off it would be GREAT!

At least theres indications for something to happen otherwise the chart wouldnt of picked up on it.

You never know, It could get better! or completely vanish :lol:

Posted

FI ?

But yeah.

If that came off it would be GREAT!

At least theres indications for something to happen otherwise the chart wouldnt of picked up on it.

You never know, It could get better! or completely vanish sad.gif

FI - Fantasy Island

Refering to the chart posted for the 23rd Dec.

Posted

But's there is lots of other fantastic charts being progged before that !.

If I had a choice of superb, snow and cold producing charts upto 168Z or not I know which I would pick, at the moment you couldn't reasonably wish for more if you lived in the SW.