Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Is there any snow expected for me tonight? i wasnt expecting any but by the looks of it there is :cold:

BBC forecasting snow during the early hours and has been since last night, up to 1cm imo. However, these showers hitting the NE weren't forecast so who knows what will happen, we could see a couple of cm come the morning. I'd expect some showers from the North Sea to affect your area soon, but don't expect anything more than light-moderate snow for the time being. I'd expect those showers in NE Scotland to fade slightly before they reach us, pepping up as they cross the North Sea between about Dundee and the NE England coastline but only to the intensity we have now. Very hard to forecast though.

Posted

Is there any snow expected for me tonight? i wasnt expecting any but by the looks of it there is drunk.gif

probably ha,

what we have now will probably move south down to you, but maybe a little less potent.

that shower of the north east of scotland looks very tasty like john but on the radar the smaller showers seem to be disappearing as they head further south, this one looks like an exception atm but hopefully it could survive as it looks a lot heavier.

today has come as a bit of a suprise to me tbh, i didnt expect the showers we've had this afternoon but i suppose it goes to show you can't forecast everything eh?

and this definitly bodes well for this weekend and onwards - i think we could be in for a lot more than the precipitation charts are showing atm - ... hopefully ha, but saturday looks exciting anyways so looking forward to tomorrow evening :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

So in the morning i should expect to wake up to fresh fallls of snow onto top of the compacted snow i have currently? And tommorrow whats happeenin? :) what times will snowfall roughly occur im totally confused but in a good way! :cold::) Woops drink icon agen and im drink 7up :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Snow still hasn't stopped, getting to be on the heavier side of moderate. Settling well, already 0.5cm on surfaces which were cleared earlier.

Snowstorm1: Yes you should expect a further dusting at least, but you might not notice it on surfaces which have already got snow. I'd love more snow snow than a dusting to fall, but don't get you're hopes up.

Edited by alza

Posted

How about tommorrow alza?

Posted

How about tommorrow alza?

Don't want to cause any hysteria, but I expect light flurries to continue until luchtime, then a dry few hours before that band of heavier snow will move down from Scotland. Provided it isn't sleety 5-10cm could fall. I would like to place an emphasis on the word could, as the band might not be as heavy as currently forecasted. Then again it could be heavier :o

Posted

Don't want to cause any hysteria, but I expect light flurries to continue until luchtime, then a dry few hours before that band of heavier snow will move down from Scotland. Provided it isn't sleety 5-10cm could fall. I would like to place an emphasis on the word could, as the band might not be as heavy as currently forecasted. Then again it could be heavier :)

Ill take tht and it looks like a white christmas now imo either with snow on the ground on snow on the ground with snow falling! :o

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A few flurries on and off in Cleadon in the last hour, has turned heavier recently and with the temperature at 0.5C, it is settling on all surfaces. This was predicted by the GFS a few runs ago but strangely the more recent runs have removed this area of shower activity along the east coast.

I still think tomorrow evening may produce significant accumulations. I'm warning people that the band may well start off as a sleety mix as it does look quite marginal to begin with, but the northern flank of the system should produce snow to all levels as the cold air digs in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

It looks like there's a chance of a band of snow hitting the North East during the night, but the 12z NMM run keeps this out in the North Sea. But with the unpredictability of the setup it might be worth checking the radar later.

Then on saturday evening it has a band of snow moving South and lasting for around 3 hours with a max precipitation rate of 6mm per hour. I think snow ratios should be better than 10:1 so 10cms might be possible.

Posted

And the snow continues, a good dusting on the car now which was clear an hour ago. Bigger flakes than before, but still very dry. Starting to get interesting...

Posted

Light snow starting here

Posted

Heavy snow now! Heaviest snow of the spell so far, covering very quickly indeed. Something I haven't seen since 28th December 2005, very heavy snow falling vertically with no wind! :yahoo:

Posted

Am amazed there is not a severe weather warning out for Newcastle/Sunderland, severe blizzard seems to be in the area given the last update on the 5 min thing and with the thing from Scotland still to come it will mean 6-7"of snow tonight so the Met really should issue a severe weather warning or even a "take action" red

Posted

looks so nice and snowy out there! smile.gif, i just wanna be out in it but i will look stupid LOL.

this has seemed to have came out of nowhere, my street is pasted proper again now, -1 degrees c, no wind and snowing make an awesome combinationclap.gif

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted

Am amazed there is not a severe weather warning out for Newcastle/Sunderland, severe blizzard seems to be in the area given the last update on the 5 min thing and with the thing from Scotland still to come it will mean 6-7"of snow tonight so the Met really should issue a severe weather warning or even a "take action" red

2cm of extra snow has fallen since 18:00, not a severe blizzard by any means, just a few flurries with some heavier showers mixed in. 4.8cm on the grass now anyway but it has eased of to moderate again.

Posted

2cm of extra snow has fallen since 18:00, not a severe blizzard by any means, just a few flurries with some heavier showers mixed in. 4.8cm on the grass now anyway but it has eased of to moderate again.

Looking at the radar there is still another hour of this left which would mean about another inch (backs up my 2" statement from earlier) then that band of exceptionally heavy snow near Aberdeen shows no sign of easing and is on a direct hit to Newcastle so if this gives 2 inches then that will give 5 easily unless it peters out, it is a Friday night so lots of people out driving/drinking/partying the Met should alert them that they are going to have big troubles getting home later

Posted

Heavy snow now! Heaviest snow of the spell so far, covering very quickly indeed. Something I haven't seen since 28th December 2005, very heavy snow falling vertically with no wind! :)

Sounds nice-there has been nothing here for over an hour,prior to that we had a light flurry.

Posted

Sounds nice-there has been nothing here for over an hour,prior to that we had a light flurry.

I'm quite surprised at that! Light snow now but everything has a good cover on it again, and looking at the radar showers are forming more readily over the North Sea, so maybe we could get some heavy snow tonight :) If you look on the Meto radar more yellow is showing up over NE England now

Edited by alza

Posted

nothing severe about it,tis just a bit snow and it's not causing any major problem here.

Posted

nothing severe about it,tis just a bit snow and it's not causing any major problem here.

Cars are having to go very slow just round the corner from me as it is a hill, but they're managing fine and there's only an inch on the road and 2 inches on the grass so unless it persists all night no warning needed.

Edited by alza

Posted

I think your area and particularly Sunderland will reach the magic 1ft mark by Monday evening if not sooner

A long long streamer of snow is queueing up to attack Gateshead/Washington/Sunderland which looks like it will last most of the night, heavy snow too so 5-7" there maybe even more if the NE Scotland streamer hits the area too then there is tomorrow's fun too

My brother in law is a very lucky guy living up there

Posted

Nice period of snow around here and it covered any patches that have not had lying snow yet, a little unexpected i have to admit. :good:

Seems to be a mass of cloud just to my east, i assume that was the shower cloud we were under.

Posted

Incredible blizzard about to hit your shores too, the Sunderland streamer is packed with reds and goes as far as the eye can see on the NW 5 min radar, at least 5 or 6 hours of severe snowfall ahead, 8-10inches unless eases off