Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

HI all just got in from a 3hour snowball fight! :) It was light snow for 10mins then heavy snow for 1hr and 30minsish now continuous light snow how long is this going to last? and is there any more snow coming in the next few days? :)

I had a 1.5hr snowball fight, and I though that was bad! The light snow should peter out shortly, but whatever is on the ground could be on the ground until Christmas. Not much significant snow in the foreseeable future, but some occasional snow showers are possible tomorrow and Monday, but not amounting to much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

its ment to snow throughout the night, I'm a little worryied that their seems to be a few rain showers after each snow shower now, nevermind it would take some rain shower to shift this lot now.

I had a 1.5hr snowball fight, and I though that was bad! The light snow should peter out shortly, but whatever is on the ground could be on the ground until Christmas. Not much significant snow in the foreseeable future, but some occasional snow showers are possible tomorrow and Monday, but not amounting to much.

One says it should peter out and the other person says more snow overnight <_<

Posted

A19 Flyover North lorries stuck - if you know anyone using or planning this route tonight, avoid this route.

It was the local radio that said it was going to be on off for the rest of the night.

Edited by dave79

Posted

The continuous snow should peter out, there is the possibility of a few flurries though. However, this light snow is unforecast and has simply formed as the cold air travelled over the North Sea after the frontal snow so who knows.

Posted

I don't think the word "intense"is appropriate at all.

Light to moderate snow (mostly light in intensity) is falling in the Durham City area and I don't see much drifting.

Current amount that I've measured is 4cm. Not bad I suppose.

PP, do me a favour and just be happy!!

FOZI999, spot on, very intense snowfall. Just in from work and snow depth's around the county range between 10 and 20cm's. Durham city came to a standstill at one point, including the motorway and over the coast the A19. In the main band the snow was very heavy (not light to moderate) at Durham city, Chester-le-street, Murton area, with everything white with very poor visibility but beautiful...long time since I've seen it looking so wintry.

PP I'm not sure what you are expecting at our location but current conditions are very unusual and extreme. Have you actually ventured out and enjoyed it?

Posted

no lack of it her PP,the main and side roads are telephone boxed.just had to rescue the wife from her car,silly bint thought she could get to work lol.

The roads were not gritted here and its difficult to drive. My mon cant go shopping without risking a slide down the hill or a car crash.

PP, do me a favour and just be happy!!

FOZI999, spot on, very intense snowfall. Just in from work and snow depth's around the county range between 10 and 20cm's. Durham city came to a standstill at one point, including the motorway and over the coast the A19. In the main band the snow was very heavy (not light to moderate) at Durham city, Chester-le-street, Murton area, with everything white with very poor visibility but beautiful...long time since I've seen it looking so wintry.

PP I'm not sure what you are expecting at our location but current conditions are very unusual and extreme. Have you actually ventured out and enjoyed it?

Very intense? LOL. How old are you?

I live in Newton Hall which is 3-4 miles North of Durham City and what I've seen is mostly light and occasional moderate snowfall from this band. Maybe some locations saw some heavy bursts but I think it is best that you don't generalize. County Durham is a varied place in terms of local climate and morphology. Also, Durham City came to a stand-still because the idiots forgot to properly grit the streets.

I've seen much better conditions than this snow-wise and it wasn't that long ago either. Still...its nice to see snowfall this early and I shall be going out in it tommorow at some point.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

The roads were not gritted here and its difficult to drive. My mon cant go shopping without risking a slide down the hill or a car crash.

I live in Newton Hall which is 3-4 miles North of Durham City and what I've seen is mostly light and occasional moderate snowfall from this band. Maybe some locations saw some heavy bursts but I think it is best that you don't generalize. County Durham is a varied place in terms of local climate and morphology. Also, Durham City came to a stand-still because the idiots forgot to properly grit the streets.

I've seen much better conditions than this snow-wise and it wasn't that long ago either. Still...its nice to see snowfall this early and I shall be going out in it tommorow at some point.

PP it's a dam site worse around the area.

Posted

In this part of Newcastle that band of snow was intense for a time, the first 10 minutes or so of proper snow saw 3cm quickly accumulate. The remaining 3cm took over an hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon -2.0, with a minimum of -5 or -6 quite possible tonight, firming up all the wet snow that fell this evening.

Posted

just been out to make the most of the snow lying with my mates smile.gif when i went out the snow was wetish in nature then as i was out longer it started freezing and my wet joggers froze on me and my gloves froze :| snowboarding didnt really help either..., then the walk home with frozen joggers and gloves was uncomfortable to say the least lmao - but you have to make the most of it when its still here biggrin.gif

nice, clear and dry out there presently - but i wouldnt advise going out in it being -3 degrees and windchill god knows what! LOL

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted

Yes he sed middlesbrough more snow tommorrow afternoon on uk forcast! Didnt expect anything tommorrow oh im loving this cold and snowy spell! :wallbash:

Posted

Spent 2.5 hrs this evening on the A19(S) at Dalton Park amongst the jack-knifed lorries etc. 4-5" of snow... have never seen the A19 in such a state. Snowflakes the size of dinner plates!

Posted

Yes he sed middlesbrough more snow tommorrow afternoon on uk forcast! Didnt expect anything tommorrow oh im loving this cold and snowy spell! :rofl:

tell you what Snowstorm, what are the chances that we still have snow on the ground comes christmas day must be pretty high now surely?

Spent 2.5 hrs this evening on the A19(S) at Dalton Park amongst the jack-knifed lorries etc. 4-5" of snow... have never seen the A19 in such a state. Snowflakes the size of dinner plates!

I went on my tea at 5 during work and it was very lighly snowing, when I clocked out at 6:30 I could not believe my eyes, never seen so much snow fall from the sky and the amount that fell, well I will be very surprised if I ever see anything like that for a while.

Got to give a thumbs up to some of the forecasters on here though spot on with there predictions and still abit more to come for us hopefully :wallbash:

Posted

Lol. 46 thanks, yourself? I spent the last 3 hrs of my shift assisting cars stuck in snow, I was driving across the whole of the east of the county and will repeat for you again..very heavy snow. Durham did not come to a stand still because of lack of grit/salt, it was because the snow fell so fast and heavy that traffic ground to a halt...I was out working in it and I assure you one more time, very heavy snow. From your comments your observations were from your window?

Try driving along the A167 even now (salted and ploughed), still dangerous with thick snowcover which didn't occur during light to moderate snow. Enjoy your trip tomorrow.

Posted

Yes Dave and on the current gfs run snow on christmas morning! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Medomsley near Consett is down to -5.3C with a dewpoint of -7.3C.

Lanehead further west is -7.6C, dewpoint -10.1C

Taken from http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=19

Some parts of Northern England look like getting below -10C tonight.

And PP, that was definitely very heavy snow, intense isn't too far off an accurate description. I can't remember the last time so much snow was dumped in such a short time.

I can't believe the Met Office left it so late to put out a warning, we've been aware of this possibility since Tuesday/Wednesday, yet they only warn the public a couple of hours before it starts. Not enough time for most people to hear about the warning and change travel plans.

Posted

Yes Dave and on the current gfs run snow on christmas morning! :rofl:

really, :D:cold::D:yahoo::D:yahoo:

mind you I know things could change...............................................ner sod it :yahoo:lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Just been to measure the snow. 9.5cm, that's on a bit of pavement that's in the open and never gets walked on. I dug down to the asphalt and measured the side with a tape measure. I must admit it's more than I thought there was.

If anyone doubts I am prepared to take photographs, lol.

More measurements: Middle of the road 9cm, Opposite pavement 8cm.

Edited by fozi999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

This snowfall reminded me of the Jan 28th 04 snowfall and deposited a similar amount of snow. Northerly's often deliver for this location either in the form of a front coming down or through showers coming in off the north sea.

Measured 10cm outside on the step although I think there was around 2cm already lying from the previous few days. Its amazing what a slight differnce in height can make to snowfall depths, literally just up the hill there is markedly more snow and at the top (QE hospital) I'd imagine there might be nearly an inch more. Haven't got a thermometer but feels very cold out there.

I'm hoping some of those showers in the west make it over here tomorrow for a further top up. If we still have snow on the ground on Wednesday, which looks entirely possible, we will have had snow on the ground for nearly a week. I would imagine it will be the longest period of lying snow for quite a while. Lets just hope the breakdown keeps getting pushed back and we get a cold spell akin to the 70's 80's etc.