Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Heavy sleet on beach at present in Whitstable, Kent. but trying to snow, temp still showing below freezing, Woudl expect this to be snow top of hills and into Canterbury soon, and along the east areas of Kent later.

Today was below freezing all day so this will just be ice rink tomorrow.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

No Snow in High Wycombe for 25 minutes now can anyone look on the radar for me and tell me if there is anything else worth waitinig up for please

Afraid not, I have been using the experimental met office radar, quite good really. It updates every five mins, although ten mins behind.

Posted

Francis is a legend. When he was on the local Thames t.v he forecast rain turning to Snow during the night, the BBC did not.

Next morning we woke up to 6" of snow! This was in 81/82, a law unto himself.

Well, it will be marginal according to the weather models - so it's perfectly reasonable to presume that an experienced professional can make a call above and beyond what a computer can do! We shall see in a day or so, I guess!

Posted

Well, it will be marginal according to the weather models - so it's perfectly reasonable to presume that an experienced professional can make a call above and beyond what a computer can do! We shall see in a day or so, I guess!

I agree with this statement, the modern presenters rely too much on computer models rather than sticking a nose outside and feeling the weather. I once spoke to a BBC presenter last year in the south east who had not ventured outside all day and was oblivious that her forecast was wrong because her system did not show it!

Well thats it, exhausted now, need to sleep... got cricket tomorrow at 8.30am to watch in South Africa.

Posted

Still snowing lightly here, Loughton appears to have stolen the heavier amounts that I was expecting.

2 miles down the road.

When I lived there they were always a greedy bunch. :whistling:

Posted

No Snow in High Wycombe for 25 minutes now can anyone look on the radar for me and tell me if there is anything else worth waitinig up for please

Its all but over now. Here's a link

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Why ask for others to look when its easy to do yourself and all part of the fun ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Moderate snow in Haslemere (surrey/Sussex border) added about 1cm in last 10 mins

I used to live in Haslemere and grew up there — well on Marley Common… go up there tomorrow for me and give the old place my love. Used to be a snow magnet and would presume it still is, plus the best toboggan runs in the area.

Posted

I agree with this statement, the modern presenters rely too much on computer models rather than sticking a nose outside and feeling the weather. I once spoke to a BBC presenter last year in the south east who had not ventured outside all day and was oblivious that her forecast was wrong because her system did not show it!

Well thats it, exhausted now, need to sleep... got cricket tomorrow at 8.30am to watch in South Africa.

I remember watching a broadcast where the presenter was saying what lovely weather we were having, while a massive Thunderstorm was overhead! lol

We were all shouting "Look out of the window you daft c*w"

Too reliant on computers, you only have to look at Pilots who rely totally on the Plane flying itself. The guys who fell asleep and overshot by 150 miles in the States proves the point.

I grew up with Computers in 1976 I was one of the first to use them in big Business, but then just as now they are only as good as the input put in them.

Rant over, off to bed I think, the Snow is so light it won't make a difference now. We have another inch anyway.

Night all.

Posted

According to the nw radar, it's very close to me now, and I'm currently on course to take the longest possible route through the largest green and purple blob in the south east. Come on, be there, and be snow.

Posted

According to the nw radar, it's very close to me now, and I'm currently on course to take the longest possible route through the largest green and purple blob in the south east. Come on, be there, and be snow.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Oh well, to quote Public Enemy: "Don't believe the hype!"

At least the cold spell is set to continue, with a major possibilty of a white Xmas (fingers, toes and eyes crossed).

Night all, and I hope that those who have had snow in the past few days get a top-up, as for me and many others in the wet zone, a very icy day in prospect.

Take care all and goodnight.

Scott

Posted

Yeah it's raining very lightly here. I'm hoping if this changes quickly it might assist our snowcover, though my heart is in my mouth a bit for our previous copious quantities of snow, which now lie at risk.