South West England Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

LOL!! Yeah, you wish!!! smile.gif But there's some further showers on similar trajectory so some more likely..... deep breaths!

I have around an inch of snow so far but to be fair half of that was last nights snow. rolleyes.gif

I have a feeling that when these showers clear around midnight the temperature will plumet with snowcover to around at least -5c maybe even -6c but depends how clear it stays. night before last without snow cover i recorded -6.9c

I didn't realise your computers could take a towns heat island effect into acount. drinks.gif

Posted

Nice rash of showers feeding in now (as promised!)

This shower has been pepping up every 5 mins and is heading for my area. (yes desperate times) but even a 10-15 decent shower would be nice

Bear in mind it's recently over 10C of sea surface temperature and will lose some potency as it comes ashore - assuming it retains identity at that point. These showers won't enhance on landfall; they'll lose forcing albeit still giving some fun and games (as already noted by others here in Somerset). Also, don't take the radar PPN rates too literally...... all sorts of artefacts can skew these from the ground truth reality (e.g., brightband).

post-8233-12613379238013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Awww....! You might want to consider renting a SCUBA set locally, as similar respiratory problems are likely as you perhaps hyperventilate looking towards Christmas Eve and doubtless at other times over the next 2 weeks, given any other snow threat locally!

If there's even a slight whiff of snow on Christmas Eve I'll be twitchier than a twitchy thing on twitchy pills - is it acceptable to stand every 5 mins or so during midnight mass to peek out the window? I suppose I could contain myself to just the hymns - note to self - get a window seat.

Posted

Awww....! You might want to consider renting a SCUBA set locally, as similar respiratory problems are likely as you perhaps hyperventilate looking towards Christmas Eve and doubtless at other times over the next 2 weeks, given any other snow threat locally!

Are you hinting at snow possibilities for xmas eve <_<

Posted

Are you hinting at snow possibilities for xmas eve :rofl:

just seen the country file forecast and there still not sure whats gonna happen theres a low moving close to us xmas eve and that could well bring somthing on xmas day but it really depends on the track of this but worth keeping an eye on it

Posted

ian whats going to happen after 9pm more showers?

See attached hi-res suggestion from UKMO modelling by 23Z; showers, as expected manifest themselves steadily more northwards between now and then (notice 1km forecast wind vectors have shifted by then) and see how the snow signal inland remains. So that's the essential theme. NOT to be taken literally in a geographic sense!! Hope this helps - off to bed now; 0300 alarm awaits! Cheers.

post-8233-12613388423013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Nice pulse of showers coming in to somerset soon! laugh.gif looks quite beefy.

Few flakes in air at moment but nothing much since last shower. I think the showers are going to fade around midnight going by graphics Ian has shown us earlier on.

thanks again Ian.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

See attached hi-res suggestion from UKMO modelling by 23Z; showers, as expected manifest themselves steadily more northwards between now and then (notice 1km forecast wind vectors have shifted by then) and see how the snow signal inland remains. So that's the essential theme. NOT to be taken literally in a geographic sense!! Hope this helps - off to bed now; 0300 alarm awaits! Cheers.

thanks ian :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

If any of you know Cleeve Hill (on the road to Winchcomb from Cheltenham) there was 2 -

3 Cm up there during the day, enough for the sledges to come out. It always catch the best

snow and often hangs around as it is North West facing. If only we had regular snow it

would be perfect for a little business venture ! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Can see some large pink clouds, but once again, they are to my north rolleyes.gif

It has just started snowing here as well! rolleyes.gif I m giving up weather forecasting, I am obviously rubbish at it.

You're not far away from me, send some about 15 miles south! Please laugh.gif

Posted

Damn it really is snowing everywhere but here. :lol:

Absolutely nowt here, either. Where are you?

I tell you, other people say they don't get any snow, but there seems to be quite a bit around at the moment. :)

Not here, though...... :)