Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

-2/-4 here at present... not sure if there is any PPN around my area. The frost never left the drive/road/garden today... Brrrr

dogs32: Whats happening Tuesday?

when is it surpost to turn westerly

Wind is from the west already... albeit at 0mph here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Been snowing for 20 mins now!

Looks great just hope that channel can pack um in!

temp -0.1c

Posted

Thanks Ian for the update. I was wondering how the showers would reach us but now i know wind veers west it makes more sense. Tomorrow looks like another knife edge scenario for us although more likely to be brief rain if it reaches us which is a shame. dry.gif Lets just hope and see if there is another chance running closer to christmas before milder air takes a hold. Watched your forecast earlier and must say i thought you were rather conservative with you minimum air temperature?

Current temperature here is -2.9c with a ground temperature of -4.2.

Hi - knife-edge describes it well. It could still yield snow westwards of earlier predictions - I'll post a graphic shortly to prove the point. But for now, I'm having to emphasise the rain prob versus widespread snow. It's a tough call with only 45-50 seconds of time to offer a forecast for general public; but I'm happy enough because I have the luxury of adapting according in tomorrow morning's broadcasts. I will adjust these based on new runs, and expect snow signal to feature more prominently.

The minima I show are urban predictions (as with all BBC Weather values we show) and our latest guidance still only goes for -1 in central Bristol tonight. I actually tweaked these a degree lower for my forecasts this evening (including for coastal fringe of W. Somerset) but on local radio stations here, have already emphasised to our rural listeners how -4 or less is very probable outside larger towns / cities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Been snowing for 20 mins now!

Looks great just hope that channel can pack um in!

temp -0.1c

chucking it down here now yahoo.gif

fromeydrinks.gif

huge flakes bring it on

Edited by fromey

Posted

MetO's snow modelling (UKV, at high resolution) for Monday to 2100hrs. Note scale at right before getting over-excited when reading this in many districts!! But gives a generalised indication of possible spatial spread and intensity. Much as previously described / discussed. Wiltshire, east (and high ground) Somerset and east Glos most likely to see something from it.

post-8233-12613360570613_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just looked outside and to my utter amazement we have snow! Coming down steady, settling well, about a cm so far :good::good::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Keeping everything crossed that it doesn't turn to rain otherwise it will quickly become :cray:

Posted

MetO's snow modelling (UKV, at high resolution) for Monday to 2100hrs. Note scale at right before getting over-excited when reading this in many districts!! But gives a generalised indication of possible spatial spread and intensity. Much as previously described / discussed. Wiltshire, east (and high ground) Somerset and east Glos most likely to see something from it.

Lol, Bristol 0CM

:good:

*slits wrists*

Posted

Just looked outside and to my utter amazement we have snow! Coming down steady, settling well, about a cm so far yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Keeping everything crossed that it doesn't turn to rain otherwise it will quickly become cray.gif

Good stuff - courtesy of this cell - see attached frame

post-8233-12613364503613_thumb.jpg

Posted

I'm in the yellow bit, what does that mean? Two foot perchance......?

Posted

I'm in the yellow bit, what does that mean? Two foot perchance......?

LOL!! Yeah, you wish!!! smile.gif But there's some further showers on similar trajectory so some more likely..... deep breaths!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Damn it really is snowing everywhere but here. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Rain sleet & hail here in Weston, no snow yet. Very light showers as well, no punch to them.

Posted

LOL!! Yeah, you wish!!! smile.gif But there's some further showers on similar trajectory so some more likely..... deep breaths!

I'm wishing with every wishing atom I have....

So many deep breaths I think I may hyperventilate soon, best find paper bag and keep it handy.

Posted

It's been snowing here in Westbury for a little while without me noticing. Not even a centimetre lying, I should think, but enough to give a covering, and to look.... well... sweet. :o

Clear sky and still snowing, so I guess the cloud has now passed on by to a quarter I can't see, and it'll soon stop.

Posted

We've had one 10min snow shower from this whole cold spell in East Dorset! We've only ever had rain from it while everywhere else gets snow! - Dissapointed!, lets hope we some flakes tonight/tomorrow!.

My neighbour is having to return home after most flights to Germany have been cancelled until Tuesday from Southampton due to so much snow in Germany!

Where will the showers be coming from?

Posted

I'm wishing with every wishing atom I have....

So many deep breaths I think I may hyperventilate soon, best find paper bag and keep it handy.

Awww....! You might want to consider renting a SCUBA set locally, as similar respiratory problems are likely as you perhaps hyperventilate looking towards Christmas Eve and doubtless at other times over the next 2 weeks, given any other snow threat locally!