Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Mab-o = mablethorpe I assume?

Humberside .... what is this word? :):)

Sorry rikki, went native there for a moment. Yes, Mablethorpe. And I agree about 'Humberside' - hideous creation!

Posted

Just talking to a mate on the phone - interestingly it's just started to snow in Mab-o, which is a real surprise.

Just saying to my brother that that band on it norther edge must be hitting much colder air. if you look on the radar link below you can see (if you zoom in) that the colours indicating sleet are going from dark grey to light grey, meaning that soon we will see snow along the whole of the leading edge. now im feeling luck again.

this also may be the wolds effect too!!

LO

Sorry rikki, went native there for a moment. Yes, Mablethorpe. And I agree about 'Humberside' - hideous creation!

Me too but im using met office terminology here :)

IN fact its just doing what i said as i write this

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hehe native tongue. Quickly off-topic... funny how after 13 years after the demise of Humberside, and Grimsby once again becoming part of Lincoln-shire people still use this word. I still receive post with the H word on and I often go out of my way to tell them they have my address wrong.

Posted

Yes just spotted on raintoday radar.Look north hinted at showers on to the pennines Tuesday evening also,winds veering westerly again.Any thoughts on wednesday nights push from the s/w?Thought it would have been more of a talking point,GFS and UKMO suggest snow for midlands northwardsmile.gif

Ye, and with such low temperatures all it would take is 30-45 mins of heavy snow to drop an inch of fresh snow, as all of it would settle.

Ye I think wednesday nights looking very good. I think we will all see a spell of heavy snow, my only concerns though is if it pushes north right past us, milder air will turn it sleety on the back edge. We need it to move furthest into north yorkhire, then push back down south east but I think thats a long shot now :wallbash:

Posted

Me too but im using met office terminology here :wallbash:

Lol, no worries.

Posted

I noticed that too LO - seems to be snow all along the leading edge, which is now shifting north at a decent lick. Looks like you might be the right side of marginal. I thought I'd be OK, provided that the ppn got far enough north (which I did think unlikely) - looks possible now.

Posted

I noticed that too LO - seems to be snow all along the leading edge, which is now shifting north at a decent lick. Looks like you might be the right side of marginal. I thought I'd be OK, provided that the ppn got far enough north (which I did think unlikely) - looks possible now.

yep!!!...my only worry now is that after saying to RIKKI that he had no chance, i may have to get that christmas humble pie out and beg forgiveness from the Metoffice lol :wallbash:

Posted

Mince pies are plentiful at this time of year I hope you have some.

Whatever happens it was always going to snow, the question is how much? The answer is - very little. The radar showed a system probably in the region of 60-80 miles wide (North to South) - and the 'eye' showing the Greens and dark blues was so tiny. The rain band has shrunk dramatically in the last couple of hours - nothing more than light snow for anyone north of nottingham.

Edited by rikki

Posted

yep!!!...my only worry now is that after saying to RIKKI that he had no chance, i may have to get that christmas humble pie out and beg forgiveness from the Metoffice lol :(

:) On the Raintoday Radar it does appear that the snow is slowly intensifying along the front and backing back south, though I'm not sure it's made much progress north in the last half-hour.

Posted

Mince pies are plentiful at this time of year I hope you have some.

Whatever happens it was always going to snow, the question is how much? The answer is - very little. The radar showed a system probably in the region of 60-80 miles wide (North to South) - and the 'eye' showing the Greens and dark blues was so tiny. The rain band has shrunk dramatically in the last couple of hours - nothing more than light snow for anyone north of nottingham.

Im not so sure on light snow, ive noticed it increasing in activity on the back edge and of course dont forget it will move in then pivot and move out again, i have a feeling we could get a fair lick out of this.

looking at the radar its so close to me i can see North Somercotes from my kitchen window the min i see it disappear ill be the first to tell you what kind of ppn we have.

LO

what rotten luck the radr shows it turning to sleet on mass, bloody warm sector i wonder flippin hell it was sooooooooooooo close!!! :(

Edited by Lincs Observation

Posted

Nice one, well I am quietly confident that it will be snow. How often can you say that Grimsby in the past joins in with 5-10cms of snow with the likes of Louth coupled with some days were the temperature has never risen above freezing point?

Interesting for a coastal location you must admit. Out of interest how far is Conisholme from the coast? Not a lot right? I assume thats the place with the reservoir.

Heres hoping for the white stuff. :(

Edited by rikki

Posted

The Northern edge is now pivoting well, approaching the Humber Estuary now.

post-5042-12614327100713_thumb.png

Posted

Nice one, well I am quietly confident that it will be snow. How often can you say that Grimsby in the past joins in with 5-10cms of snow with the likes of Louth coupled with some days were the temperature has never risen above freezing point?

Interesting for a coastal location you must admit. Out of interest how far is Conisholme from the coast? Not a lot right? I assume thats the place with the reservoir.

Heres hoping for the white stuff. :lol:

we about two miles from Donna Nook, the reservoir is at covenham about two miles to my NW. in fact if you know the wind farm that is at the end of my paddocks.

well im on lampost watch now sleet on radar now in a matter of fifteen mins and a mile in distance its all changed im gutted!!!

Posted

Update for Wednesday night

Looks marginal however in land and higher ground could do quite well

Precipitation

Should give a few hours of fairly moderate precipitation. Probably around 5cm of snow to low ground, more to higher.

post-6181-12614328562413_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614328274913_thumb.gif

850hpa temps

Around -4c to -2c so marginal.

post-6181-12614328242313_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614327728213_thumb.gif

Temps

Close to freezing so look ok

(See end of post for other chart (Can't get into full editor!!)

post-6181-12614327432713_thumb.gif

Dewpoints

Averaging around -1c to 0c so again marginal. But enough to support snow inland

post-6181-12614331085713_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614328165213_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614328205013_thumb.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Update for Wednesday night

Looks marginal however in land and higher ground could do quite well

Precipitation

Should give a few hours of fairly moderate precipitation. Probably around 5cm of snow to low ground, more to higher.

post-6181-12614328562413_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614328274913_thumb.gif

850hpa temps

Around -4c to -2c so marginal.

post-6181-12614328242313_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614327728213_thumb.gif

Temps

Close to freezing so look ok

(See end of post for other chart (Can't get into full editor!!)

post-6181-12614327432713_thumb.gif

Dewpoints

Averaging around -1c to 0c so again marginal. But enough to support snow inland

post-6181-12614331085713_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614328165213_thumb.gif

you made my day! more chance of it being snow inland for low ground as cold air will be hanging around till then, hope im right but not expecting it as ive been let down lol

Posted

we about two miles from Donna Nook, the reservoir is at covenham about two miles to my NW. in fact if you know the wind farm that is at the end of my paddocks.

well im on lampost watch now sleet on radar now in a matter of fifteen mins and a mile in distance its all changed im gutted!!!

Very odd - It's been solid snow for 45 minutes then a warm sector expands both north and west?

Turning back to light snow from the East? Should be snow over you about now LO, according to Radar data.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Very odd - It's been solid snow for 45 minutes then a warm sector expands both north and west?

Turning back to light snow from the East? Should be snow over you about now LO, according to Radar data.

At this time i can confirm it is sleeting here.

Lo

Posted

Temp has now risen to -0.2c! Hopefully it starts dropping soon.

The GFS also shows the risk of some snow Christmas eve night as well! But that looks even more marginal. Then it gets washed away on Saturday.

Posted

At this time i can confirm it is sleeting here.

Lo

Interesting - I'm supposedly under sleet here but it's actually dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

there's a little very light precip in louth now. i think it,s frozen drizzle with temp at -0.1c. any chance of some snow out of this?

Posted

Well i have just had a sudden temp and dew drop within 1 min!!

was at 2c now at 0.9c with a dew of -1, the dew was 0.5! WOW

What could have caused that, they were talking about warm sectors. Is there such thing as a cold sector.