Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Currently -5.2C with a dew point of -7.8C. Last night’s low temperature was -9.2C. It will certainly be interesting when the PPN reaches here. Regardless of that, this is definitely the best cold spell in this area since the mid-nineties.

Posted

Hi badboy,

You will be pleased to hear that there has been no overnight melt of the 4" of snow we have in Odiham - it is still a winter wonderland with the snow even remaining in the trees. The temperature on the car thermometer at 8.30am this morning showed -7.0 and although we are due some rain in Hampshire today I have a feeing that in the north of the county, because of the entrenched cold, we may have a period of at least sleet but maybe snow. In your neck of the woods I am afraid that it will undoubtedly be rain.

I am farly confident that despite the rain forecast today and tomorrow we will have snow on the ground on Christmas Day itself.

Merry Christmas

Coram

Same here. What little did defrost wasn't a huge amount. Has now well and truely frozen. Nice hoar frost on top. Lots of dangling rainy ice from my washing line. Looks lovely. :help: Wonder how much will melt. Time will tell ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I've lived in Reading (mostly) since 1980. This is probably the longest lying snow since February 1991. We've had more snow since then, but only as frontal ppn turning to rain. In terms of quantity I was surprised at how little snow there was (relatively speaking) compared to how it looked on the radar and from the chaos. January 1987 was considerably deeper as were several falls during the 1980s. So, the worst conditions since 1991 by my reckoning.

Recorded -8.5 on the drive through Peppard last night. All roads passable with care.

Undoubtedly there will be a period of snow and then sleet north of a certain point. Depends how quickly temperatures rise with the approaching front I guess. Certainly going to be dangerous later on...

Funny I worked in Reading in Feb 1991 and Im working again there now

There is a lot more snow here now

There was more snow outside of Reading in Feb 91 (This time 15 miles north there is very little)

In town along walkways by shops there is a lot more this time

The snow that fell in reading on Monday (from one event) was considerably more then Feb 91

Posted

No freezing rain here in Southsea, infact it started raining at 1:30 am, the temp dropped no lower than 1C (34F) either. Now it's still raining & 5C (41F) doh.gif

You should all come here to the "tropics" of the Costa Del Solent for your holidays laugh.gif

Posted

here at work ( Nr Reigate, surrey ) we currently have freezing rain falling :nonono: however, still plenty of laying snow around and sheet ice, so not sure how long that will continue as it looks like its going to be all washed away if this rain continues :lol:

soooooooo close to having a white xmas wonderland too !

Take care all, as the rain ,as it lands, it rapidly turning to ice.

Posted

WARNING!!Freezing rain all across Southampton and some surrounding areas,everywhere is covered with a sheet of ice warning to anyone thinking of travelling its very dangerous.Already 20 car pile up M27 westbound just before rownhams services 30-40 car pile up on the A35 No buses or trains and people falling over everywhere never seen anything like it very spooky.

My partner is going down to Bournemouth to pick up her son and granson and will be going down the M27 but left an hour ago and she doesnt have her mobile

A few hours of worry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Hey all,

Very interested in the freezing rain reports. What were the lowest temperatures you experienced with rain was falling ? Do you have any pics ? ...and can you hear the rain coming in to contact with the surfaces ?

I haven't observed freezing rain before, so I'm keen to hear you stories.

Much appreciated.

Edited by Supercell

Posted

Funny I worked in Reading in Feb 1991 and Im working again there now

There is a lot more snow here now

There was more snow outside of Reading in Feb 91 (This time 15 miles north there is very little)

In town along walkways by shops there is a lot more this time

The snow that fell in reading on Monday (from one event) was considerably more then Feb 91

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! It was nearly twenty years ago, but I do definitely recall more snow.... Doesn't really matter! January 1987 beat them both hands down!

Hey all,

Very interested in the freezing rain reports. What were the lowest temperatures you experienced with rain was falling ? Do you have any pics ? ...and can you hear the rain coming in to contact with the surfaces ?

Much appreciated.

Freezing rain is definitely better observed from the safety of indoors! I recall walking in freezing rain one time, and found it very difficult to keep my balance on even the slightest of slopes...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Horrendous here this morning. Lots of yet more cold rain falling onto frozen surfaces. Temp just on zero but a layer of ice on everything. I had to de-ice the front gate before I could open it. Main A338 in/out of Bournemouth closed after numerous accidents and majot disruption.

And still no snow. If this is all the cold spell can give us then good riddance and I will welcome the mild southwesterlies with open arms when they eventually return.

Posted

Hey all,

Much appreciated.

At 12 noon today in Odiham (N.Hants) the temperature was -3.5 and it was raining. It wasn't making any imp

ression on the lying snow, but it was very light and short lived. Less than two miles away the temperature was +1.5 - very strange. The temperature is rising very rapidly now and I expect a slow thaw of the lying snow unless there is heavy rain in which case I would expect the thaw to be much more rapid.

Posted

At 12 noon today in Odiham (N.Hants) the temperature was -3.5 and it was raining. It wasn't making any imp

ression on the lying snow, but it was very light and short lived. Less than two miles away the temperature was +1.5 - very strange. The temperature is rising very rapidly now and I expect a slow thaw of the lying snow unless there is heavy rain in which case I would expect the thaw to be much more rapid.

Yes its light rain in Reading now , no pre sleet or snow.

Would at present rate and temp take a long time for total thaw

Posted

My partner is going down to Bournemouth to pick up her son and granson and will be going down the M27 but left an hour ago and she doesnt have her mobile

A few hours of worry

Sorry only just logged back on,nothing to worry about there as this occurred earlier on this morning around 7am I think and luckily no one had any serious injuries.

Posted

Hi I live in Christchurch near Bournemouth and when I woke up at 05.30 it was -5 and heavy rain . In the next 20 min the temperature dropped to -2, when the first shower cleared it reached -3 again. I could not even walk on a flat surface outside it was hard clear ice everywhere. Never have seen any think like before. Anyway its 6 degrees now with hail, has not stopped raining all day.

Posted

Yes its light rain in Reading now , no pre sleet or snow.

Would at present rate and temp take a long time for total thaw

How are the roads in Reading now? Basingstoke looks OK at the moment but the warm air has no doubt reached Reading a little later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Hi I live in Christchurch near Bournemouth and when I woke up at 05.30 it was -5 and heavy rain . In the next 20 min the temperature dropped to -2, when the first shower cleared it reached -3 again. I could not even walk on a flat surface outside it was hard clear ice everywhere. Never have seen any think like before. Anyway its 6 degrees now with hail, has not stopped raining all day.

-5C and heavy rain. Now that's something else altogether blink.gif . Impressive stuff.

Posted

I was driving at the time and only realised when my wheels were just spinning,managed to get home at crawl of about 5mph.it was the people on foot i felt sorry for loads falling over some had even taken there shoes off and walking in there socks,but the reason so many cars were getting smashed people braking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No warm air here, still only 0.1c, did make 0.2c earlier.

Heres the proof although we are well sheltered in a suburban valley of sorts.

http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=metric&station=IWESTBER2

Still lots of snow on the ground with very little thawing.

8c tomorrow, hmmmm.

STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Had a terrific hailstorm about an hour ago here in Southampton. Lasted only a few minutes but the hailstones were as big as peas and coming down really fast - thought the conservatory roof was going to come in!

Didn't go out this morning, but I felt the steps and saw that what looked like water was sheer ice. People were walking in the road because it had been gritted.

It rained for at least 10 hours yesterday but the snow from a few days ago has still not all melted.

Still wishing for a White Christmas! :yahoo:

Posted

How are the roads in Reading now? Basingstoke looks OK at the moment but the warm air has no doubt reached Reading a little later.

I have to say that the roads and pavements are 100% better now in the rain. It was absolutely treacherous before the rain: a slow thaw which was causing sheet ice everywhere. I had to help an old man after he slipped on the ice. Quite heavy rain and feels quite a lot warmer now; the warmer air filtered in very quickly in the end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Thunderstorm, and crazy hail... wooohooo

Yup, lightning and almost instantaneous thunder! And more hail! :D

Posted

The mad hail is topping up my snow ...

You'll have to change your signature now Beka... I think this counts as a storm in central southern england. :clap: