Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 5

Methuselah

Posted

I wouldn't worry about the showers to the south of Fife, it is the showers north east of Aberdeen that I'm interested in.

This is the situation now, ties in with the radar:

http://212.100.247.145/viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20091222;time=12;ext=06;file=ukprec;sess=31152a37e0f0d1ce064f85dd5cab1c04;

Then 3am

http://212.100.247.145/viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20091222;time=12;ext=15;file=prectypeuktopo;sess=31152a37e0f0d1ce064f85dd5cab1c04;

Could be 2 or 3 hours of snow from that band in Fife.

T850 is a bit on the marginal side but the dewpoint and air temp are forecast for -4C when the precipitation arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It does look as if some of that band over the central belt is going to break off and move further northeast, however I think we must be more focused on the band of snow to our northeast as this is where the greatest potential for snow is. Now -5C here, Tulloch Bridge will hopefully stay clear tonight. If it does, then -27.2C could well be under threat.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

I realise my posts look really out of place compared to everyone else, it's like I'm in a parallel universe compared to just 4 or 5 miles to the east of me, so I won't depress you after this one - I will only report if it's good news.

My covering now starting to get slushy - what a disappointment after picture postcard scene this morning. I had high hopes for this evening's showers after the heavy snow earlier on but the uppers are marginally warmer now (-3 compared to -6 or so this morning). But it's been a good spell for here really and may be more surprises in store :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

currently got 5cm of snow on the ground from this morning and temps are already down to -3.8C outside , flash warning issued by met office for east lothian and flights are being disrupted at edinburgh airport

Posted

I wouldn't worry about the showers to the south of Fife, it is the showers north east of Aberdeen that I'm interested in.

http://212.100.247.1...4f85dd5cab1c04;

Then 3am

T850 is a bit on the marginal side but the dewpoint and air temp are forecast for -4C when the precipitation arrives.

Yes this could be quite an event. Still wondering how far west the showers will go, as the weather warning only extends to east of Inverness.

Posted

Then 3am

I cant get those links to work

Posted

Those tempratures around Lochaber are plummeting!! -15'C at Tulloch Bridge at 4 O'Clock?! Never seen anything like that!

Aye Rab, true, quite incredible.. yesterday we were at -7 come 6pm, unheard of before too. Sseeing the temp fluxes around these lows is pretty incredible. This cloud that's rolling in from the E/NE seems to be doing the same as what the stuff from the west did yesterday, it's raising our temps (though we're still just below 0) I presuming (or hoping?) the existing snow cover will help keep them from making any further precipitation from being too wet.

Posted

currently got 5cm of snow on the ground from this morning and temps are already down to -3.8C outside , flash warning issued by met office for east lothian and flights are being disrupted at edinburgh airport

Yeah, listening to Edinburgh Airport on this ( http://www.globaltuners.com/ )

Posted

extract from travel scotland

"Traffic is also heavy along the mate has ground to halt at various sections as the snow has slowed the traffic. The eastbound queues are much longer than usual with queues and long delays from J27 Arkleston right through to J 11 Stepps Road. With further queues at A8 Eurocentral. Westbound - it's virtually ground to a halt from J9 Barlanark with slow moving traffic stretching beyond J21 Seaward Street"

mate looks terrible on the traffic cams

Yeah, listening to Edinburgh Airport on this ( http://www.globaltuners.com/ )

might tune the scanner into the arrivals freq , are the arrivals managing to get in?

Edited by Calum

Posted

Blowing a blizard here, but, it seems to be wet snow now :( its not settling like it was earlier, and its melting!!!!!! GRRRR Always has to be spoiled here!

Posted

I realise my posts look really out of place compared to everyone else, it's like I'm in a parallel universe compared to just 4 or 5 miles to the east of me, so I won't depress you after this one - I will only report if it's good news.

My covering now starting to get slushy - what a disappointment after picture postcard scene this morning. I had high hopes for this evening's showers after the heavy snow earlier on but the uppers are marginally warmer now (-3 compared to -6 or so this morning). But it's been a good spell for here really and may be more surprises in store :)

I know exactly how you feel. It turned to sleet here earlier for an hour and I was completly missing out. It's back to snow though and we have 2inches at most in places. Wonder how much we could of had if it was all snow? I'm not complaining though, looks nice outside :(

Posted

might tune the scanner into the arrivals freq , are the arrivals managing to get in?

Airbus A319 just landed, but there appears to be delays going by ground control.

However, I notice on Rain Today ( http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ ) the snow band is approaching Edinburgh - may be fun and games at EDI soon!

Ps, still moderate to heavy snow falling here.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

well folks we got our wish however my father is stuck in a tail back in east Kilbride for the past hour I actually want it to stop for a while until he gets home safe :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

As a boy in the North cotswolds i was told by many a farmer that when snow sat in little hollows and on north facing slopes, after a slow thaw that had been over a few days, that it was "waiting for more". The point being that cold is difficult to shift once it has been in place for a while. This looks like a similar situation. 25 years ago we would have expected to have got another cold spell. Over recent winters we have got used to mild and on the whole uneventfull winters. The models certainly would suggest that the cold air is never to far away and indeed Scotland may not lose it at all.

I would add that although i have looked at this thread for many years and my ability to evaluate what may happen is improving, i am in awe how some on here are able to spot trends that could happen that are more than aweek away. That is why i love this thread, not because i want to know what will happen in the next 24 hours but what will happen down the line. If it is not correct then i will never get fustrated and ask why it never snowed in my back garden.

And just to emphasise how imbedded this cold is, the current temperature at tulloch Bridge at 5pm was -15.6c ( 3f ). :(

Posted

Not much has been made of the Aberdeenshire Blizzards unsurprisingly as everything centres on southern and southeast england re media attention etc. You are right though, the cold air will probably stick up there and then be reinforced by another cold surge later in the weekend and more especially during next week, 12z runs so far suggesting another very wintry spell next week which could continue to reload as the gfs 12z suggests, I preferred the 6z though.

It's okay we're well used to playing second fiddle to south-east England

All snow has been very coastal today, not much getting inland, suppose it will bethe same with this next batch of snowwhich should strike around 6.30 and last for possibly 2/3 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

http://212.100.247.145/viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20091222;time=12;ext=06;file=ukprec;sess=31152a37e0f0d1ce064f85dd5cab1c04;

Then 3am

http://212.100.247.145/viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20091222;time=12;ext=15;file=prectypeuktopo;sess=31152a37e0f0d1ce064f85dd5cab1c04;

I am so confused now. I didn't realise that the northern blob was a threat to us. Are they expected to move down? I must have missed something.

Posted

well folks we got our wish however my father is stuck in a tail back in east Kilbride for the past hour I actually want it to stop for a while until he gets home safe :(

It appears from the radar that it's nearly over.

Posted

M74 down to 2 lanes near lockerbie , delays of 45 mins on the A737 in refrewshire

Posted

still dumping it down here with massive flakes and no wind its falling in slow motion and its kinda cool to watch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

anyone think perth will get anymore snow? Help!! seems tht we are missing the snow now?

?

Hi Madman89, I kind of know what you mean. Overnight we both have a fair chance from the band of snow moving south and west from off the coast of Aberdeen, but it's hard to say at the moment. The band just south of us might reach us for a time but it is unlikely to deliver on the same scale as to those further south, which is a tad annoying, but overnight the snow could be pretty heavy. Temperatures now -7C so I doubt it'll be marginal, even on the coast!!

LS