Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Very surprised with whats happening to the temps here. After reading reports of thawing my temps have dropped to -1C at 21.00pm.

At the moment the snow is petering out here. Now if you look at the radar the area to the S is likely to push E and the area around the wash could back W as this begins to tilt. However the front is relatively weak at the moment and its anyones guess what will develop along the cold front.

I would keep watching the radar over the next few hrs though.

I forgot to add that the cold front moving E will be overnight!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Very surprised with whats happening to the temps here. After reading reports of thawing my temps have dropped to -1C at 21.00pm.

At the moment the snow is petering out here. Now if you look at the radar the area to the S is likely to push E and the area around the wash could back W as this begins to tilt. However the front is relatively weak at the moment and its anyones guess what will develop along the cold front.

IF you are correct it certainly looks promising for this area

Posted

EYE IN THE SKY

What do you think the chances of Kent getting another dusting are? So far, it's just remained icy?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have updated my blog this evening: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/58749-december-cold-spell-synoptic-discussion/page__pid__1664565__st__0entry1664565

Just a thought, but maybe wrong ... as a wave looks like moving NE up the near stationary frontal boundary, think there's chance that it could pep up precip. later as the wave starts to trigger the front's movement east (as a cold front) in the morning.

Posted

As us old timers say "Hear Hear".

Has been great getting into the car and driving on ice. And I;ve still seen idiots who can't drive on ice, trying to go too fast without any "feel" for conditions and grip. I did a journey that normally takes 15mins in 20 mins today, averaged 30mph with less the 75 yards clear of ice/snow, Fast enough but at no time dangerous.

I Remember ( when I was a boy :wallbash: ) 1963 as THE event. Two full weeks without being able to move a car. In this day and age, we'd struggle.

I agree with you. This weather has been very unusual for us i have been lucky to be able to get out of the back of my house by car onto a main bus route which had not been gritted but was passable. Some of my neighbours have been trapped in their houses not being able to go anywhere by car because the hill they have to drive down is too slippery. They do not have rear garden access like me mah ha ha. Good old shankses pony is the only way to go in this sort of weather but too many of us depend on the car. lol Does anybody think this will be another winter of discontent like that other one what with the weather and all the strikes. I almost feel we are going backwards not forwards. lol

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted

clear here, boyfriend reports drizzle at Reedham, he has been listening to radio Norfolk and apparently that says there is snow on the Norfolk/Suffolk border somewhere.

Hi,

We have had snow here (1cm/2cm) and we are close to the Suffolk border (about 5 miles away).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

biggrin.gifWell I took a sensible decision today..saw the snow start in Reading at work around 1ish but as I had to travel south via newbs thought best go...South of reading it turned to sleet and so I thought oh false alarm. half and hour later and in newbs which was in the thick of it..grabbed my stuff and headed south - around 2.30 to 3pm, huge flakes and heavy snow pretty much all the way down the A34, and M3 and M27..only when past east of Southampton it stopped and was clear. Can see why now from the radar, and I have learnt since about my collegues efforts to get out of reading from work..alhtough they have sought refuge in the pubdrinks.gif ..

am in brighton now and i think they will be out of it any snow tonight....but then there is some chat about later hours of the morning.....unpredictable stuff it seems at the mo so I will need to catch up on the posts! yahoo.gif

Posted

Hi,

We have had snow here (1cm/2cm) and we are close to the Suffolk border (about 5 miles away).

hi, thanks, coz he didn't catch which area they were talking about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

As us old timers say "Hear Hear".

Has been great getting into the car and driving on ice. And I;ve still seen idiots who can't drive on ice, trying to go too fast without any "feel" for conditions and grip. I did a journey that normally takes 15mins in 20 mins today, averaged 30mph with less the 75 yards clear of ice/snow, Fast enough but at no time dangerous.

My husband says get in the car wait for a gap in the traffic and test the road surface by braking sharply while you're doing under 10 miles an hour and see how much grip there is. Another tip: always steer into the skid (you'll want to do the opposite, but don't) that way you regain control.

If you are truly hopeless, wait a few hours so you are not driving in the rush hour with everyone else.

I Remember ( when I was a boy :( ) 1963 as THE event. Two full weeks without being able to move a car. In this day and age, we'd struggle.

Me too. Lived on top of a 1:7 hill at the time… we just about coped with nothing to heat the house except an Aga and open fires.

Posted

Interesting developments here.

At 21.00 the snow stopped here as the band moved NE and this was clearly shown on the radar. However at 21.15 surprisingly the radar moved the band of snow back towards Peterborough from the NW. Now outside the heavy snow has returned.

Before I jump the gun I need to check the 21.45 radar to make sure the current heavy snow hasn't come from the SW and to see if the band of snow is backing W like I suggested. Just maybe the area of snow has stalled around this region.

Posted

Its just taken me 4.5hrs to travel 25 miles from Hoddesdon Herts to Romford Essex. Roads were grid locked with people unabe to stop the wheels spining in the heavy snow then the slushy mess. I've been driving 20 years and its the worst i've known.

Edited by andyw111

Posted

Sorry if it seems like im spamming this thread. I bet im getting on your nerves!

However looking at the radar it appears the cold front might be pepping up to the S.

Posted

If anyone uses South Eastern trains to get to work, just thought I would let you know they are running a Saturday Service tomorrow due to adverse weather conditions...

Posted

Interesting developments here.

At 21.00 the snow stopped here as the band moved NE and this was clearly shown on the radar. However at 21.15 surprisingly the radar moved the band of snow back towards Peterborough from the NW. Now outside the heavy snow has returned.

Before I jump the gun I need to check the 21.45 radar to make sure the current heavy snow hasn't come from the SW and to see if the band of snow is backing W like I suggested. Just maybe the area of snow has stalled around this region.

From what i can see on the NW radar the precip has now reached its most NW point....should start heading back eastward in the next hour or so

SK

Posted

well gfs 18z pptn is backing up radar. the heavy stuff is going to push out through the wash into the sea before swinging round and later on tomorrow hitting northeast britain. the only stuff showing for east anglia and south east after 2am looks like being only really light stuff im afraid.

Edited by dapick2002

Posted

Well if every 1 had of taken note of Rob's forecast on the B.B.C. from Thursday night it would of not came as a surprise.

yep.

i meant the amount and ferocity of it here in SE London been suprising. not the fact it actually did snow :(

Posted

If anyone uses South Eastern trains to get to work, just thought I would let you know they are running a Saturday Service tomorrow due to adverse weather conditions...

More likely be an overcrowded skeleton service judging by the last few days, surely not worth having a timetable at all at the moment!

Posted

is it snowing the chilterns area anyone, just wondering because i saw a forecast with snow around there also here in thames valley its on the edge at 0.5C and i was thinking out of town on hills to the north Snow?? if so might try to go there tommorow, if its worth it. its always on the edge of snow here but it never seems to happen. [barring last winters 10 inchess!! :(]

There is thick lying snow in the Chilterns, absolutely beautiful. We had loads on Thursday night which hasn't melted so it is amazing now.

Posted

OMG!! Ive just seen on the news whats happening LOL!! this morning I switched my PC off and was like oh well thats the end of the snow then LOL!!!! its all gone crazy, the best snow is always the one that comes by suprise, ha and they have just said its turning round and coming back!!! Merry Christmas is all I can say!!!

Posted

Sorry if it seems like im spamming this thread. I bet im getting on your nerves!

However looking at the radar it appears the cold front might be pepping up to the S.

I'm sure everyone will agree with me that you will never get our nerves. Your posts are always amazing :(