Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Annoying when ppl use words like 'pouring' and 'chucking it down' when talking about snow. :whistling::crazy::):)

Posted

Looks like we're going to get a direct hit from the snow that has managed to cross over the Pennines without fizzling out.

Very surprised and delighted.

gobby

Where's Lewis?

Posted

Looks like we're going to get a direct hit from the snow that has managed to cross over the Pennines without fizzling out.

gobby

Where's Lewis?

I'm here :whistling:

And i have been keeping an eye on it for some time now, just didn't wanna call it and have egg on me face if i got it wrong.

Won't hit me, but will hit areas N of me :crazy:

Lewis

Posted

gobby

Where's Lewis?

All i can say is get ready! Very heavy snow in the band, has just left us, a bit of light snow falling now.

Edited by 10123

Posted

I'm here :whistling:

And i have been keeping an eye on it for some time now, just didn't wanna call it and have egg on me face if i got it wrong.

Won't hit me, but will hit areas N of me :crazy:

Lewis

Think you're wrong and there's nothing to say it won't pep up as it hits the Humber.

good luck.

What a great surprise!!

gobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It appears to be doing nothing here.

Posted

Think you're wrong and there's nothing to say it won't pep up as it hits the Humber.

good luck.

What a great surprise!!

gobby

Direct hit for you, leven/catwick area etc.

But i doubt it will intensify as it hit's the humber, would be great if it does. Reason why i say it wont is due to the flow and wind direction, switched WSW now.

Lewis

Posted

Is it not doing well in Otley?

@ SUFC, great pics there, it was similar round here last year with those icicles.

Its doing alright, settling a bit on all surfaces but can see water dripping from overhead telephone cables.. :whistling:

Went into the royalty car park to do some doughnuts, was unbelievably good up there. Some of the flakes were huge and not sleety like the ones down here. :crazy:

Hows it doin where you are?

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Unless that wind changes back, might not get anymore tonight.

Radar has nothing at all forming since the wind switched to a SW / WSW.

just been snowing heavy here for the last 30-40mins too!! added nicely to the already existing snow!! latest bbc charts look very good indeed!! hopefully the snow showers later tonight will track through to us again!! and looks good for tomorrow night however just a bit worried about paul hudson mentioning freezing rain because tht stuff is boring n pointless!! any thoughts on snow later tonight??as there seems to be no more snow within the radar area

Posted

Unless that wind changes back, might not get anymore tonight.

Radar has nothing at all forming since the wind switched to a SW / WSW.

You could end up with a bit more yet if that band over the borders makes it's way to you as it is moving south and east.

Posted

Its doing alright, settling a bit on all surfaces but can see water dripping from overhead telephone cables.. dry.gif

Went into the royalty car park to do some doughnuts, was unbelievably good up there. Some of the flakes were huge and not sleety like the ones down here. biggrin.gif

Hows it doin where you are?

We got about 3cm from it, it was all snow, and yes I can hear dripping, but I'm not worried as temps are falling now under clear skies.

Posted

nice one. I suppose we would have had some accumulation on grass and paths etc, just dont like seeing dripping water laugh.gif

Ye, temps should plummet under clear skies.

Looking at the radar Otley was on the edge of the shower and under the lightest PPN so it comes as no surprised you got a bit of sleet.

Posted

Lookout for more showers coming in from N.Ireland :winky:

Posted

Suprised to see some precipitation make it over the Pennines. It should be snow as the cold air is so embedded at the surface and thicknesses are still very low. Thicknesses are important because the height difference between sea level and 850hPa level is much less, meaning snowflakes have less of a journey to the ground. However in this case, temperatures are pretty much below zero all the way so no melting will take place.

Posted

Shows how inaccurate the net weather extra radar, i have rob sitting under the precipitation in his car now on the foreshare of north bank, net weather extra shows snow over him, and guess what.... it's clear skies.

lmfao

Posted

Where are all these showers that were forecast? There is nothing at all on the radar that will reach us or anywhere in North West England/ Yorkshire. I'm assuming that the low pressure will move south and give us some more PPN later in the evening.

Posted

Shows how inaccurate the net weather extra radar, i have rob sitting under the precipitation in his car now on the foreshare of north bank, net weather extra shows snow over him, and guess what.... it's clear skies.

lmfao

Could be anaprop I suppose, but the area of cloud associated with this precipiation is showing on the MetOffice's IR Satellite Image.

Posted

Could be anaprop I suppose, but the area of cloud associated with this precipiation is showing on the MetOffice's IR Satellite Image.

yeah mate i looked at the sat image and it shows the cloud, hence why it's the radar lol.

it's been fairly inaccurate over this cold snap tbh, times its snowed when its shown nothing over me, and times it not snowed with heavy echo's, i thought this radar was the best resolution you could get?

lewis

Snowing here lightly. Looks like the rather dark echo is now taking a direct hit to me :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just to report, that shower was a heavy sleety snow here in Garforth which slushified the 0.5cm that appeared during the day while I was working- I'm sure it will freeze again though! Temps shot up to 1.5c but are now edging back down- unfortunately all the showers seem to have vanished!? Anyone know why? lol cheers

bb

Posted

yeah mate i looked at the sat image and it shows the cloud, hence why it's the radar lol.

it's been fairly inaccurate over this cold snap tbh, times its snowed when its shown nothing over me, and times it not snowed with heavy echo's, i thought this radar was the best resolution you could get?

lewis

Snowing here lightly. Looks like the rather dark echo is now taking a direct hit to me :(

Its been pretty accurate Ive found, however no radar will ever be 100% accurate, especially with light precipitation.

Currently -0.9C here so temperatures look good. Annoyingly yet again for the 3rd day in the last four the maximum temperature has just creeped up to +0.1C and denied me an ice day!