Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Snowing frequently here in Dronfield Woodhouse, 700ft ASL

It did stop for a while but it has picket up again. 8cm or so of lying snow, nothing really added to it yet today but if it carries on like this it will top up the snow level!

Posted

Just had another moderate snow shower, which again dyed over me. It didn't even get cloudy the cloud got nearer then disappeared and started snowing even though it was clear skies.

Posted

This was taken a few minutes ago ohmy.gif

Wow! Certainly colder than here biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Snowing quite nicely here however it did feel a little sleety. Should clear in the next 15mins

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

I thought these showers were going to die out earlier, but they still keep appearing :yahoo:

Just had another 10 min heavy shower and the sky seems to be quite full of it, loads of cloud with no breaks.

Posted

I thought these showers were going to die out earlier, but they still keep appearing cc_confused.gif

Just had another 10 min heavy shower and the sky seems to be quite full of it, loads of cloud with no breaks.

There meant to die out at 5AM.

Posted

There meant to die out at 5AM.

if they keep going im sure locations that havnt seen any will see some because it will be more westerly? unless im wrong

Posted

Winds have veered to the North West, not sure wether this was forecast.

Posted

Tomorrow night

Going by the 12z an area of precipitation moves up from the north west hitting our region about 11pm onwards before clearing around 4am. It looks marginal however some areas could do quite well

Precipitation

Shows around 3 to 4 hours of moderate precipitation from around 11pm to 4am across our region

post-6181-12614984061813_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984100213_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984216713_thumb.gif

850hpa temps

looks very marginal averaging around -1c to -3c. The further North and West you are the better.

post-6181-12614984380013_thumb.gif

(( See attachment at the end of post ))

post-6181-12614983908113_thumb.gif

Temps

Averaging around 0c to 2c nearer the coast. So not to bad

post-6181-12614984254713_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984295113_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984346313_thumb.gif

Dew Points

Averaging around -1c to 1c. So again very marginal for a time.

post-6181-12614983952413_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614983993213_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984025913_thumb.gif

Looks marginal as i keep saying. High ground cold do quite well imo seeing mostly snow. 5cm to 10cm perhaps. Lower ground but in land (so my area for example) could see a few hours of snow but becoming sleety for a time. Nearer the coast then i think it will be mostly rain but perhaps a period of sleet. Will have to see what the UKMO comes up with. I think inland areas will have some snow on the ground for the big day. However from the 25th onwards most of us will start to see a thaw smile.gif

post-6181-12614984414713_thumb.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Tomorrow night

Going by the 12z an area of precipitation moves up from the north west hitting our region about 11pm onwards before clearing around 4am. It looks marginal however some areas could do quite well

Precipitation

Shows around 3 to 4 hours of moderate precipitation from around 11pm to 4am across our region

post-6181-12614984061813_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984100213_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984216713_thumb.gif

850hpa temps

looks very marginal averaging around -1c to -3c. The further North and West you are the better.

post-6181-12614984380013_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614983908113_thumb.gif

Temps

Averaging around 0c to 2c nearer the coast. So not to bad

post-6181-12614984254713_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984346313_thumb.gif

Dew Points

Averaging around -1c to 1c. So again very marginal for a time.

post-6181-12614983952413_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614983993213_thumb.gif

post-6181-12614984025913_thumb.gif

Looks marginal as i keep saying. High ground cold do quite well imo seeing mostly snow. 5cm to 10cm perhaps. Lower ground but in land (so my area for example) could see a few hours of snow but becoming sleety for a time. nearer the coast then i think it will be mostly rain but perhaps a period of sleet. Will have to see what the UKMO comes up with. I think inland areas will have some snow on the ground for the big day. However i think from the 25th onwards most of us will start to see a thaw :)

Whats the thickness like (DAM)? if it's sub 525 it's fine, but if it's not, it will be marginal for even higher ground in the midlands.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Snowing moderately here.

Mark Bayley you do realise this mild blip is just that, a blink and you'll miss it jobby. I think any thatwing will be short lived before the next batch of snow on the 28th/29th for our region.

Posted

Whats the thickness like (DAM)? if it's sub 525 it's fine, but if it's not, it will be marginal for even higher ground in the midlands.

Lewis

Is touch and go on that one. Net-weather GFS charts keep it very close by. Its close enough to support snow on high ground in the west of our region. Further East and South you are the worst smile.gif

Hi Cape Steve, it does look a blip however i think a small thaw is possible around the 26th to the 27th on low ground. I may be wrong. Higher ground were you are should be fine smile.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Is touch and go on that one. Net-weather GFS charts keep it very close by. Its close enough to support snow on high ground in the west of our region. Further East and South you are the worst smile.gif

Hi Cape Steve, it does look a blip however i think a thaw is possible around the 26th to the 27th on low ground. I may be wrong. Higher ground were you are should be fine :)

Further East and North you are the better, just checked your area southwards, you have the milder 850's and the dam go's to 528 to 530 when the precipitation hits.

Probably a mixed batch, sleet,rain,wet snow.

Tough one to call,

Lewis

Posted

Further East and North you are the better, just checked your area southwards, you have the milder 850's and the dam go's to 528 to 530 when the precipitation hits.

Probably a mixed batch, sleet,rain,wet snow.

Tough one to call,

Lewis

It certainly is! Just a case of watching the radar and the dew point smile.gif I'm sure there will be some surprises, equally disappointments! I don't really have a right to complain seeing as i have quite a bit of snow and some have seen none down the in the Midlands smile.gif

UKMO looks a little better with slightly colder 850hpa temps and the 528dam line further south. On the other hand there is slightly less precipitation :)

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Just been out, starting snowing 20 minutes ago, was moderate, then briefly went light now very heavy snow with 3cm of fresh snow and it's still snowing!!!

Edit: Big 50p flakes!

Edit: Main roads covered!

you sure?

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

according to this its more westerly

Yeah they have turned quite a bit north west, the line of heavy showers was way up north then when the winds turned the showers went in a south/south easterly direction and they hit me. I was nowhere near those showers so it is a big suprise I caught them.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

you sure?

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

according to this its more westerly

XC Weather shows the wind recorded on the ground by people's weather stations, they don't record the wind vectors and the wind higher up, which is N/NWerly flow.

Posted

North Yorkshire now has a weather warning, for Icy roads after snow showers, there hasn't been any snow yet in North Yorkshire so something must be happening for them to put out a warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

"Showers of sleet and snow will continue to affect northwestern England, as well as northern parts of both Cheshire and Derbyshire and western parts of Yorkshire. The ground temperature will be below freezing for much of the time, especially during the night and early on Wednesday morning, and this will lead to the formation of ice on untreated surfaces in many areas.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic conditions on motorways and trunk roads."

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

North Yorkshire now has a weather warning, for Icy roads after snow showers, there hasn't been any snow yet in North Yorkshire so something must be happening for them to put out a warning.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

"Showers of sleet and snow will continue to affect northwestern England, as well as northern parts of both Cheshire and Derbyshire and western parts of Yorkshire. The ground temperature will be below freezing for much of the time, especially during the night and early on Wednesday morning, and this will lead to the formation of ice on untreated surfaces in many areas.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic conditions on motorways and trunk roads."

Nah its probably just the Met remembering that Skipton is in North Yorkshire - where its been snowing on and off for most of the day :)

Posted

It certainly is! Just a case of watching the radar and the dew point smile.gif I'm sure there will be some surprises, equally disappointments! I don't really have a right to complain seeing as i have quite a bit of snow and some have seen none down the in the Midlands smile.gif

UKMO looks a little better with slightly colder 850hpa temps and the 528dam line further south. On the other hand there is slightly less precipitation smile.gif

How do you think Sheffield at 190m asl will fair? We are south of the region so elss favoured, but slightly more favoured in the west. Will having a tiny bit of altiude help? Thanks.