Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Two light snow showers here in Otley.

Will ask the missus if they are any heavir in Pudsey.

Temp -2 accoring to car. ?? accuracy.

We got moderate snow, but the shower pretty much died out over us.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

i am off up to near Skipton tomorrow - how much snow is there on the hills?

Round where we are (about 5 miles SSW of Skipton) its about 20cm deep at the moment. But we are high up, about 250m ASL, but there are higher around e.g. the Moors which are half a mile away are above 400m ASL and there it will be well over a foot deep I imagine.

I know Skipton itself has had some heavy snow, but as to its levels I don't know.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Round where we are (about 5 miles SSW of Skipton) its about 20cm deep at the moment. But we are high up, about 250m ASL, but there are higher around e.g. the Moors which are half a mile away are above 400m ASL and there it will be well over a foot deep I imagine.

I know Skipton itself has had some heavy snow, but as to its levels I don't know.

i will be going not too far from there so - its probably also about 20 cm where iam going- sounds like definiately will be a white christmas then.

Posted

this is turning into a really good snowfest for most of the country . we may get some christmas eve as well in w yorks?

The weather forecast has just given out heavy snow showers for the rest of today and this evening in the north west of england and i presume this will affect the pennines too. It seems like an irish see snow streamer has set up.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

One to watch maybe? post-8968-12614808321713_thumb.jpg

Looks interesting!!!

I doubt that the current shower over Manchester will affect Leeds as it looks to be too far south.

One to watch maybe? post-8968-12614808321713_thumb.jpg

Mate i dont think thats the path they will follow! There moving in a more south easterly direction to manchester (where they already have a load of snow). The snow shower thats heading towards us looks like a gap has formed again and coming straight for us. So all in all our snow shield is succesfully working! Also this morning paul hudson said to us that it was unlikely we would get any snow today just freezing temps!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

it's made it! it's been snowing light/moderate for about 20 mins here! just started getting heavier in the last 5 mins :wallbash:

there's a layer of slushy snow on the car across the road, it was clear not long ago

Posted

Mate i dont think thats the path they will follow! There moving in a more south easterly direction to manchester (where they already have a load of snow). The snow shower thats heading towards us looks like a gap has formed again and coming straight for us. So all in all our snow shield is succesfully working! Also this morning paul hudson said to us that it was unlikely we would get any snow today just freezing temps!!

I don't think I agree, I guess time will tell.

Snow Shield! Ive never heard anyone from Leeds say we have a snow shield, hows your covering?

Posted

it's made it! it's been snowing light/moderate for about 20 mins here! just started getting heavier in the last 5 mins clap.gif

there's a layer of slushy snow on the car across the road, it was clear not long ago

:wallbash: :wallbash: Hopfully it might make it to here

Posted

not necessarily, often in these situations showers are funnelled through the Aire Gap in the Pennines, and a few miles either side - so Leeds could still get it in this situation. what's the wind like - if reasonably strong , the funneling effect should happen.

I don't think I agree, I guess time will tell.

Snow Shield! Ive never heard anyone from Leeds say we have a snow shield, hows your covering?

erm i guess its pretty similar to yours maybe a bit less-only a few miles from the airport. about 2/3inches.but thats pushing it. I am quite happy by the snow we have but it seems a shame that all around us seem to have a deep covering 'compared'. like north yorks, south yorks, west of west yorkshire and the south which should be generally warmer than here in theory. I mean saturday was such a let down here! and if it wasnt for the unexpected frequency and intensity of the snow showers on thursday night then i dont think many of us would have had that much really. But hey its early in the season and lets see wht the next few days bring us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

:):D Hopfully it might make it to here

following raintoday radar, it seems to be heading ESE so it's possible it could just skim over the top of you.

it's starting to cover the areas that where clear now! coming down quite heavy :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Light snow shower at the moment

Posted

following raintoday radar, it seems to be heading ESE so it's possible it could just skim over the top of you.

it's starting to cover the areas that where clear now! coming down quite heavy cool.gif

There's another heavy shower coming in over Liverpool at the moment. That seems in a better position. We shall have to wait and see. They do seem to be struggling to get over the pennines

Posted

I heard the words snow shield? you havent tried living in the midlsnds lol.

These pics show a snowshield in full working condition.

post-6740-12614827515213_thumb.png

Friday morning

post-6740-12614827588213_thumb.png

Sunday evening

post-6740-12614827686413_thumb.png

This morning

it wouldnt be such a problem if the snow showers were just as heavy but in another part of the country!! the fact that there so close to some of us and therefore missing us is just heartbraking!!And i mean in theory were just clutching at straws as there unlikely to affect east of the pennines otherwise it would have been mentioned on the forecasts :)

I heard the words snow shield? you havent tried living in the midlsnds lol.

These pics show a snowshield in full working condition.

post-6740-12614827515213_thumb.png

Friday morning

post-6740-12614827588213_thumb.png

Sunday evening

post-6740-12614827686413_thumb.png

This morning

yes but you undoubtedly have more than here in shadwell??north east leeds.the snow on saturday developed a gap that went straight over us and even turned to rain n sleet

Posted

it wouldnt be such a problem if the snow showers were just as heavy but in another part of the country!! the fact that there so close to some of us and therefore missing us is just heartbraking!!And i mean in theory were just clutching at straws as there unlikely to affect east of the pennines otherwise it would have been mentioned on the forecasts sad.gif

On Sunday morning we woke to a fresh 3-4cm of snow, none of it was forecasted, and the setup is the same now. We have allready had a snow shower this morning which left a dusting and a snow flurry.

Posted

had a few moderate snow showrs today

we still have a lot of snow cover, the roads too are a little compact, thats the only place where most of the snow has melted due to cars.

Will this snow stay for christmas day though if we have no more snow falling from now?

Also there is a possibility of some snowfall xmas eve evening. pretty exciting