Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if the PPN gets pushed even further south tomorrow and misses us altogeither.

Your most probably right mate, every GFS run has the band positioned further south, and less in intensity/size.

I would rather it miss us all together, because i know for a fact if it does not, bye bye snow cover.

lewis

Posted

I think you're writing this of far too quickly, unless you know something we don't? Then there is no reason to be so clear cut. I'm confident Leeds will do well in this, even down to lower levels.

Edited by reef

Posted

I think you're writing this of far too quickly, unless you know something we don't then there is no reason to be so clear cut. I'm confident Leeds will do well in this, even down to lower levels.

I want everyone to get burried in snow, but it's not going to happen. Think what happened in your areas on Saturday night, but this time take the DAM away, and knock off another 5-6c in 850's.

Lewis

Posted

Your most probably right mate, every GFS run has the band positioned further south, and less in intensity/size.

I would rather it miss us all together, because i know for a fact if it does not, bye bye snow cover.

lewis

It will be interesting to see what the ensembles say about tomorrow PPN,although i can't be bothered to go through them all :cold:

Posted

I remember a few years back a really marginal event for the midlands. 850hpa temps were around -2c to -3c, dew point around 0c to -1c. The event came at night and some in the West Midlands did very well, equally some to lower ground and further east (like my self) did not. I'm trying to remember when it was. I think it was early on in the winter unknw.gif

Rather than argue about who's going to see snow, is it going to be non event etc... were best waiting till tomorrow evening and the event to be over :lol: My temp has risen from -1.1c to -0.1c over the last hour. Hopefully it starts going back down again :cold:

Posted

I want everyone to get burried in snow, but it's not going to happen. Think what happened in your areas on Saturday night, but this time take the DAM away, and knock off another 5-6c in 850's.

Lewis

Saturday was completely different, we dragged in slightly milder air from a West/South Westerly wind, which would never normally happen. This times winds are coming in from the North sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm working round S Yorks again tomorrow and Thursday so i'll post up whatever happens when I get home after 10pm.

To speak honestly, i'd love this snow to disappear on the weekend as i'd like to prepare the bike for it's MOT. As it lives outside, I cannot get it out due to the ice in the garden and back street :whistling:

Posted

Just had a light-moderate snow shower, it left a dusting.

Posted

It around -0.4ºc and clear here. One thing I have noticed this evening is the wind has really picked up, compared to how strong it was during the day. I also notice that a line of snow that was approaching Bradford from the north west seems to have evaporated as it arrived over the city :D

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

WOW, just had a great snowstorm... Not put down that much (maybe one to two inch) but its blowing it about big style... Looking at the radar the shower seemed to move from NE to SW - against the wind, suspect it were on the sheer point of this trough moving south. Which looks to be still to the north of us. HAPPY DAYS.... Look out south Yorks !

EDIT - look on here just south of Keighley http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ you can still see the wind sheer!

Edited by ned

Posted

WOW, just had a great snowstorm... Not put down that much (maybe two inch) but its blowing it about big style... Looking at the radar the shower seemed to move from NE to SW - against the wind, suspect it were on the sheer point of this trough moving south. Which looks to be still to the morth of us. HAPPY DAYS.... Look out south Yorks !

EDIT - look on here just south of Keighley http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ you can still see the wind sheer!

so your saying doncaster might have a top up? :D

Posted

so your saying doncaster might have a top up? :D

The way things are working then, yes, i wouldn't be suprised... Check out the radar and the sats, things are heading south. We have intermittent mod snow showers now!

Posted

The way things are working then, yes, i wouldn't be suprised... Check out the radar and the sats, things are heading south. We have intermittent mod snow showers now!

aww that be a bonus! just watched latest bbc forecast and they are confident it will be snow over most of yorkshire :D with heaviest southyorkire area!!!

Posted

aww that be a bonus! just watched latest bbc forecast and they are confident it will be snow over most of yorkshire :D with heaviest southyorkire area!!!

Get the loop going on here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html and you can see it working it's way south :) night!

Ha ha, just seen too that you joined Netweather the day after i did! We been waitin for this winter my friend :D

Edited by ned

Posted

Get the loop going on here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html and you can see it working it's way south :D night!

cheers mate :D night

haha thats funny that! well i can remember 1991 vaguely and 1994 snow events where snow ploughs had to come down our street! so its got alot to beat really

Edited by maxdamageukno1

Posted

Hard frost this morning in Lincoln. Have just checked Netweather's local forecast for the next few days and it seems we are forecast rain not snow so I guess this is the end of the lying snow today?

Posted

Hi guys cant believe this a further inch overnight, i have just measured outside and we are closing in on the magical foot of snow. Currently 10.5 inches at 500ft.

The western yorkshire dales are sure looking really pretty at the moment, but overnight temps no lower than 0c and a slow thaw seems to starting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

well, good morning everyone!

either the equipment's broken, or we're in the middle of a nice mild spell :drinks:

Temps here never got lower than the current 0.7ºc, so the temps are dropping as the sun comes up :whistling:

DP is -3.58ºc

One thing I noticed is the winds were mostly from the west, and mostly between 8 and 12mph gusts, highest gust 17.4mph at about 12.20am

So, not the crisp morning most peeps are waking to. not much, if any, frost to clear on the car either! :lol:

Posted

Woke up to heavy snow this morning at about 7.10. It left another 2-3cm's before clearing and as I type a light snow shower is blowing in.

I spent half an hour trying to unblock the drains last night only to realise they had frozen solid outside!! It's not been above freezing here since Friday!

Can anyone advise on the PPN tonight? The BBC show rain over us but at the same time temps of -3C. I'm a bit confused about that one!

Iv'e uploaded my weather pics into the photo gallery if anyones interested!

Her's a snippet!

post-10637-12615575280613_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12615575379913_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12615575862013_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12615576095013_thumb.jpg

Posted

The bbc forecast showed snow across the whole of yorks/lincs for later this evening,although a sleety mix during the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

I'm just excited at watching these 2 lows sliding by each other, to see which winds and preciptation mix we'll get. hopefully , it'll hit an easterly with ppn over us, but maybe it won't!:D

I've just been out on the back and noticed that we've actually lost some of our snow too. as I posted earlier, the temps never made it below freezing, and the area in front of where the car was has lost most of what it put down yesterday!