Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 8

Methuselah

Posted

Looks like the rain band in SW Scotland is organising itself nicely - current;y -3c and -3 dewpoint here although im not sure the uppers support snow to low levels

Edited by JoeShmoe

Posted

Evening all.

I can barly see the end of my street for the fog, it's not a log street either. Temp is -0.3 as is the DP. Just been in the Model discussion thread and its a little heated in there, is it always like that or is it just because it's xmas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some people are throwing toys out of prams because the xxZ run at T+xxx shows mild air hanging around south-east England while on the other hand at T+yyy there is a downgrade on snow chances for some other area- rather silly really as beyond about 4 days out, the outlook usually changes markedly from one run to the next.

Looks like the rain band in SW Scotland is organising itself nicely - current;y -3c and -3 dewpoint here although im not sure the uppers support snow to low levels

Well, I'm at a heady 100m asl and it is snowing here now. Who needs uppers?? :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Would rather it didn't show up here JS and left us to a frost instead. Each of the events we've had the last 2 days in the Embra area has been more and more marginal ... rain, sleet, air and dew-points just above 0 in daytime at least (thats at the aiport, degree or two higher in town, and certainly by the time you get to Leith) ... its made things progressively mushier at ground level.

Theres still a lot on the ground Embra-wide ... 3 inches or so up here at Liberton but the condition of the snow gets worse every day. If that stuff gets here from the SW then I'd think the most likely outcome is rain, sleet at best and further impact on whats on the ground. I'm in snow-preservation mode for the next 24 hours at least !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Evening all.

I can barly see the end of my street for the fog, it's not a log street either. Temp is -0.3 as is the DP. Just been in the Model discussion thread and its a little heated in there, is it always like that or is it just because it's xmas?

Bulletproof jacket and full NBC Warfare Kit required if you are not in the main group!:whistling:

Posted

Well, I'm at a heady 100m asl and it is snowing here now. Who needs uppers?? :rofl:

Heavy rain here - Normal service resumes!

Posted

This is a question for Norrance if you're reading this (or anyone else in Dundee)...

How much snow is on the ground now? When I left to go home to N.I for xmas there were 4 inches or so. Has much of it melted?

We've had a bit of a thaw here today with a bit of rain. :rofl:

I notice that there's to be some snow tomorrow night across the central belt and up towards Dundee...

Heavy rain here - Normal service resumes!

It is like "snowballs"* coming down here. Thick flakes like this morning. Quite a shower. Even if it does turn to rain now it will just freeze up into an unholy mess. Sorry you missed out Ross :rofl:

*Mrs Catch's very accurate description, some huge flakes!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

This is a question for Norrance if you're reading this (or anyone else in Dundee)...

How much snow is on the ground now? When I left to go home to N.I for xmas there were 4 inches or so. Has much of it melted?

I notice that there's to be some snow tomorrow night across the central belt and up towards Dundee...

No thaw at all here as yet. Today was an ice day with a snow shower in the afternoon that gave a thin new cover. Cold enough since that individual flakes on the window sill can still be seen. Possible top up later tonight too I think.

Thick, freezing fog here for last few hours - how good has this cold spell been ladies and gents? -3c/-3C DP. Cold air really has a got a grip.

We had thick fog all day here which has turned into thick snow now. It is raining just 8 miles south of here (North Ayrshire) but it is coming down in sheets of snow here. We haven't seen snow so heavy since this morning.

Posted

No thaw at all here as yet. Today was an ice day with a snow shower in the afternoon that gave a thin new cover. Cold enough since that individual flakes on the window sill can still be seen. Possible top up later tonight too I think.

Its looks from the radar that the band is making good progress towards us

clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Some people are throwing toys out of prams because the xxZ run at T+xxx shows mild air hanging around south-east England while on the other hand at T+yyy there is a downgrade on snow chances for some other area- rather silly really as beyond about 4 days out, the outlook usually changes markedly from one run to the next.

Toys are most definitely in the pram in this part of the world, TWS. biggrin.gif -1.6C here with thick fog as well, though the band to our southwest is moving towards us and looks pretty large and heavy- just hope it doesn't push temperatures too much above 0C. If snow cover in most central areas survives this band, then we do look to be almost in the clear, with uppers at least -4 everywhere except the far south of Scotland by tomorrow lunchtime. From then on in, the snowmaggedon fun returns, with yet another week of out-of-the-blue snow events popping up giving the Met Office a headache and many areas lots of snow. Anyway, warm air hanging around the southeast of England might not be a bad thing from our perspective, as it means the low on Tuesday is a bit further north, giving a stronger flow and more PPN for more areas.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I am an Ulsterman working for Boots in Dundee. Slight thaw on Christmas Eve with rain shower at lunchtime. Heavy snow shower at 3pm today so the status quo remains ~5-7cms outside the City centre. Temps have been mostly subzero day and night.

Posted

Heavy rain on the South side of Glasgow. With Ross also reporting rain but CMD getting snow then it looks like it could go either way depending on local conditions.

Edited by BlizzardConditions

:p - bet you haven't written that sentence too often over the years?!

It was a first. And probably a last. Snow going off here, let's hope no more precip tonight as it is raining in Bridge of Weir which is just 3 miles south of me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I am an Ulsterman working for Boots in Dundee. Slight thaw on Christmas Eve with rain shower at lunchtime. Heavy snow shower at 3pm today so the status quo remains ~5-7cms outside the City centre. Temps have been mostly subzero day and night.

I think the thaw was mostly in the town. The shower on Christmas Eve changed from snow to freezing rain and made no impact in my garden where the temp remained at about -2C at 1 mtr above ground level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all.

band of showers just arriving here now as light freezing rain. T is still -1.5 so I'm hoping it turns to snow as it gets heavier.

We got ~1 cm last night (much to my dissapointment, the band that passed over split leaving us with very little) and was little if any melting today with a good 4" compacted cover remaining.

My folks near Aviemore have over a foot at the moment.

Cheers

Posted

Its looks from the radar that the band is making good progress towards us

clap.gif

It's looking good so far. My temperature is currently -3.1C so it would take a good bit of warming for us to miss out. :p Hope that's not put a damper on it.

Posted

Toys are most definitely in the pram in this part of the world, TWS. biggrin.gif -1.6C here with thick fog as well, though the band to our southwest is moving towards us and looks pretty large and heavy- just hope it doesn't push temperatures too much above 0C. If snow cover in most central areas survives this band, then we do look to be almost in the clear, with uppers at least -4 everywhere except the far south of Scotland by tomorrow lunchtime. From then on in, the snowmaggedon fun returns, with yet another week of out-of-the-blue snow events popping up giving the Met Office a headache and many areas lots of snow. Anyway, warm air hanging around the southeast of England might not be a bad thing from our perspective, as it means the low on Tuesday is a bit further north, giving a stronger flow and more PPN for more areas.

LS

Think Fife will get any snow tonight? Meto says no but that means nothing right? whistling.gif