Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 10

Methuselah

Posted

whats that its going to rain pretty soon for the region -smug

seriously tho its nowhere near freezing here at the moment..and i seriously doubt it will get to zero...cmon already with this boring rain...

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Happy New Year everyone - hope you're all enjoying the weather and the outlook! smile.gif

Happy New Year Wysiwyg and everyone else of course. The outlook looks very promising! drinks.gif

Posted

Looks very marginal on or near the coast tomorrow should some showers kick off.

Not sure inland should be ok but will any showers penetrate inland,thats the question.

:p

this winter has been weak...very wet with rain...no different really to the last 20.

Posted

More snow and freezing temperatures in Horwich. The only good thing to report on this New Year's Day is a sighting of witch hazel blossom on a tree in Astley Park, Chorley which usually obliges with the first sign of spring for those sick and tired of winter, especially with all this involuntary skating on ice and burning up of one's pension in the central heating. One other good thing - the spikey plus thingies are excellent.

Posted

Is it true that our area (Liverpool) is one of the warmest places in the country at the moment, and why is this so? And why did today have a higher maximum than yesterday when we where still under the influence of the low pressure system, surely the cold air should be well embedded now and we have fairly clear skies I would expect temps to plummet yes I know we are near to the coast and this can mean milder temperatures than what can be experienced inland but did we have this problem of marginality etc. in this area in the big cold spells of the past like 1962/63, 1978/79, 1981/82 or even 1995/96? It did not stop us from getting big dumping then did it? So would a situation where we are almost at 4 or 5C and a lot of the country below freezing occur in the past? Be interesting to here what your views our on this?

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Is it true that our area (Liverpool) is one of the warmest places in the country at the moment, and why is this so? And why did today have a higher maximum than yesterday when we where still under the influence of the low pressure system, surely the cold air should be well embedded now and we have fairly clear skies I would expect temps to plummet yes I know we are near to the coast and this can mean milder temperatures than what can be experienced inland but did we have this problem of marginality etc. in this area in the big cold spells of the past like 1962/63, 1978/79, 1981/82 or even 1995/96? It did not stop us from getting big dumping then did it? So would a situation where we are almost at 4 or 5C and a lot of the country below freezing occur in the past? Be interesting to here what your views our on this?

Luke

I'm not far off where you are (Southport), and I would say that the Irish Sea is highly influential on the temperatures and weather we get due to the warmth. Also it looks like the NNW wind has picked up, which is why the temps are so high. As for the marginality from the big cold spells i have no idea!!:)

Edited by chris93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp falling here surprisingly under quite cloudy skies its -0.8c everything frosty again with ice after todays snow

wonder what tomorrow will bring, looking at the models i think tomorrow is the last slightly less cold day with maxes about 1 to 3c at best, then some days struggle after that for the next week, with 1c the high and any many areas mainly inland looking at highs of -1to -3c and overnight given clear skies and a slack wind -5 to -9 is possible with some areas maybe getting double figure minus temp :oops:

will it or wont it...snow tomorrow the synoptics look good -5 to -6 uppers coming down ahead of the trough/low and the 522 dam over the region, 0c isotherm is between 0-100, with surface temps of around -1 to 3c with some areas lower than that, the problem will come as the winds are forecast to swing nnw or even nw which will bring in warmer air to the coastal areas, so i expect the coastal fringes will see a wintry mix with snow in heavy ppn should it occur, and inland areas of course seeing further snowfall.

and tucking in behind the trough the 850 temps drop to -8 to - 10 so depending on the way the trough orginises itself the ppn behind will almost certainly be of snow on the back edge as the winds swing back to the north.

so now we need it to arrive with a punch, and not the weak affairs of today which lost there energy when they hit the mountains.

radar watching tomorrow then!!

all in all a very cold outlook.... <_<

Edited by james12

Posted

Very fine snow falling, adding to the dusting from earlier today.

Its been snowing here as well for about 10 minutes and everything is covered in a fine layer again topping up the gaps between the thick snow that has not yet melted. Looking at the radar there are clumps of precipitation popping up to the north of us which will hopefully keep coming.

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

temp falling here surprisingly under quite cloudy skies its -0.8c everything frosty again with ice after todays snow

wonder what tomorrow will bring, looking at the models i think tomorrow is the last slightly less cold day with maxes about 1 to 3c at best, then some days struggle after that for the next week, with 1c the high and any many areas mainly inland looking at highs of -1to -3c and overnight given clear skies and a slack wind -5 to -9 is possible with some areas maybe getting double figure minus temp cold.gif

will it or wont it...snow tomorrow the synoptics look good -5 to -6 uppers coming down ahead of the trough/low and the 522 dam over the region, 0c isotherm is between 0-100, with surface temps of around -1 to 3c with some areas lower than that, the problem will come as the winds are forecast to swing nnw or even nw which will bring in warmer air to the coastal areas, so i expect the coastal fringes will see a wintry mix with snow in heavy ppn should it occur, and inland areas of course seeing further snowfall.

and tucking in behind the trough the 850 temps drop to -8 to - 10 so depending on the way the trough orginises itself the ppn behind will almost certainly be of snow on the back edge as the winds swing back to the north.

so now we need it to arrive with a punch, and not the weak affairs of today which lost there energy when they hit the mountains.

radar watching tomorrow then!!

all in all a very cold outlook.... crazy.gif

James

After some of the trash i have read today over various threads today

this is a very accurate post and a pleasure to read

C.S

Posted

Its been snowing here as well for about 10 minutes and everything is covered in a fine layer again topping up the gaps between the thick snow that has not yet melted. Looking at the radar there are clumps of precipitation popping up to the north of us which will hopefully keep coming.

Shadowfax

Just had a look at the radar and seen all those showers further north, over the borders and north-east England - which is what I imagine you are referring to.

Let's hope some of that makes it our way! smile.gif

Posted

moderate snow shower here everything covered nicely.

smile.gif

Yep, it might be intermittent and relatively light but this is the best shower of the day in my opinion. Temperature of at or below freezing - which is what it is here anyway - really helps. biggrin.gif

Posted

still got a light dusting of snow in st helens from a shower this afternoon .....ps were can i get live data for st helens?? thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

been snizzling for a while now but its starting to turn pretty heavy.

EDIT -infact its now a white out and its already added a thin layer to existing snow .

good stuff

bahhhh it aint lasting long thanx to that little dot of ppn over me on the radar lol

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Happy new year everyone!

Not been up long lol! can anyone tell me roughly what time the ppn is likely to hit the North West tomorrow?