Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Methuselah

Posted

Polar low seems to have kind of fizzled out a bit if I'm looking in the right place. Some sort of ppn currently haring down through Caithness and Sutherland although we don't seem to have any active posters up there now. (What happened to the woman who stayed up on the north coast - wasn't she a mod for a while a year or 2 ago?) My guess, looking at reported temperatures, is that this lot will be more marginal for low elevations than yesterday's, so we should get snizzle here. 'Warm' sector, :drinks::D:D:cray::bad:

I am in Caithness. Very wet and way too warm. +2.5 just now with a DP of +0.6. Heavy showers passing over which are mainly rain with a touch of hail. However I live 50 meters from the sea at sea level and I have only had two days of snow so far. It has been a different story just a mile or so inland, they have had snow since around the 23rd.

Tugmistress has 3 weather stations operating in the county but they are all on the coast. Scrabster, Dunbeath and Keiss.

I hope you guys get better luck than us.

Edited by waxwing

Posted

Thanks LS...Well i pray you are right! That other post on the other forum was good, however, there wasnt a great deal regading scotland over the coming days!

so in the models chat and moods threads people are talking about people dying in the weather that is coming soon cc_confused.gif ...a bit ott?

Seriously???? Do people not realise its New Years Day...why would you talk about something like that when you cant even say for sure if its gonna happen...and what about the -18oC and 60cms of snow in aberdeenshire and highlands? I doubt anywhere except the mountains will top that all winter! Although i do hope we will :)

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted

That was her. I'm on here so intermittently I can't keep up with who's in and who's out.

Really not sure about that PL... Lerwick isn't reporting much excitement... mellow.gifwhistling.gifclosedeyes.gif

Nor Kirkwall.

Gusty and wet at Wick now... unknw.gif

yeah it certainly did get gusty and wet there was a bit of hail in the rain too but hardly any snow here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

IMO, the uppers will be on the wrong side of marginal when the precip arrives; but, as the colder air arrives later on, any precip will then turn to snow...For here though, it'll be rain/sleet until the early hours - whenever they are??? :p :lol:

In other words, once it's cold enough, it'll be mostly dry! :p :lol:

Not sure about that one Pete, the area around Inverness has temps on the right side of marginal with a lot more snow on the ground that Caithness, should survive as snow here until the colder air digs in behind.

Posted

I am in Caithness. Very wet and way too warm. +2.5 just now with a DP of +0.6. Heavy showers passing over which are mainly rain with a touch of hail. However I live 50 meters from the sea at sea level and I have only had two days of snow so far. It has been a different story just a mile or so inland, they have had snow since around the 23rd.

Tugmistress has 3 weather stations operating in the county but they are all on the coast. Scrabster, Dunbeath and Keiss.

I hope you guys get better luck than us.

yeah excatly the same over on this side of the county everytime it snows and lays its thawed by the next day and thetemperatures change so quickly here as well i just wish we could get some decent snow!unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

County? Do Caithness people refer to it as a county? Sorry, just never heard that before :lol:

Posted

That is some report on the other thread!! But yes I agree its aimed at our pals down south.

Anyway is the line of showers moving down from the north the first of the two bands? (or is there not two bands??rofl.gif )

Posted

bbc weather says sunshine until weds, sky news weather has most of scotland and NE england having snow on sat. Coulnt be more different if they tried, no wonder people have no idea what the weather is going to be like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

yeah excatly the same over on this side of the county everytime it snows and lays its thawed by the next day and thetemperatures change so quickly here as well i just wish we could get some decent snow!unsure.gif

Just the same here. Maybe we should move inland and quadruple our heating bills!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

so in the models chat and moods threads people are talking about people dying in the weather that is coming soon cc_confused.gif ...a bit ott?

Perhaps they mean the elderly? I'm sure many more of them will die as a result of the cold spell sadly. It does make the whole wishing for massive snowfalls seem a bit trivial if you think it. Anyway, no let up in sight for this cold spell, with the ensemble mean barely scraping above the -5 line way out into FI and with both the control and operational run staying below the -5 for the entire 384 hours - pretty incredible stuff:

t850Fife.png

School on Tuesday? Quite hard to call at the moment, but with the local roads in such a bad state already, I doubt it would take all that much more snow to cause serious problems, especially given the lack of melt in the next week or so.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Bit off topic, but schools around here aren't due back till the 11th. Just been debating this with my boys: they're keen for an 'extended cold spell'! :whistling:

Posted

Well the snow has started again so no rain or sleet here and it is currntly 0c. Wonder how much we will get tonight? The councils are going to be very busy getting the roads back into shape and free of excess snow and ice and already huge potholes are already appearing due to the freeze thaw cycles we are experiencing.

Posted

Well the band that is moving down fromt he North has been falling as rain with us, and according to www.raintoday.co.uk it looks as though it is even milder air coming down in the later bands as they appear to be falling as rain to higher levels.